still confused...BMR vs. cut vaues

Options
hiya,

I am still confused about how much to eat. I understand I need to always eat above my BMR and that I should be eating as near to my cut value as I can every day. BUT, what I get confused about is on days I exercise and I have to look at the NET value of calories. If my net is above my BMR (for me that's 1655 cals), but not at my cut value (2194 cals), do I need to be looking at BOTH of those numbers to ensure I am eating enough? in other words, I need to ensure that I am over my BMR and at my cut value?
thanks

Replies

• chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're over your BMR, so if you have a high burn day, eat enough to get back to your BMR even if it's more than your cut value. Does that answer your question?
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    If you're eating AT your cut value then odds are that you're also NETTING at least your BMR. In any case, if it fluctuates and you're netting less than your BMR one day and netting more than your bmr another day then it will all balance out.

For example...

If your cut level is 2194 then you'd have to burn MORE than 539 calories in exercise to NET below your BMR. If you're exercising more than that take another look at your activity level and adjust it if need be. So if some days you're burning 700 and other days you're only burning 200-300 then you would have no problem simply sticking to the 2194 calories each day.

Does that make sense?
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options
    On days that you exercise your net value does not have to be at cut. You will eat your cut value, but your net will be less because of the calories subtracted from exercise. You do need to look at your net and ensure that you're above BMR by the end of the day on workout days. Does that answer your question?
  • trishadams
    trishadams Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    hiya,

I am still confused about how much to eat. I understand I need to always eat above my BMR and that I should be eating as near to my cut value as I can every day. BUT, what I get confused about is on days I exercise and I have to look at the NET value of calories. If my net is above my BMR (for me that's 1655 cals), but not at my cut value (2194 cals), do I need to be looking at BOTH of those numbers to ensure I am eating enough? in other words, I need to ensure that I am over my BMR and at my cut value?
    thanks

Assuming your cut is from your TDEE, which takes into account your activity level, I would focus on meeting your cut. If you are dipping below your BMR on net regularly, it's possible your acticity level is incorrect.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    hiya,

thanks

Assuming your cut is from your TDEE, which takes into account your activity level, I would focus on meeting your cut. If you are dipping below your BMR on net regularly, it's possible your acticity level is incorrect.

Exactly :)
  • barbcouperus
    barbcouperus Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!