Treadmill?

Options
I started W1D1 yesterday on a treadmill but this doesn't seem to be the norm?

Is it like, blasphemy to do C25K NOT outside and make the transition from indoors to outdoors after a few weeks?

Or is that like cheating?

Replies

• chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it on the treadmill because that's my best option right now. I use a 1.5 incline to simulate an outdoor terrain. It's working fine for me.
  • michellecrance
    michellecrance Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it on the treadmill because that's my best option right now. I use a 1.5 incline to simulate an outdoor terrain. It's working fine for me.

Great! Well that does make me feel better! I hate to ever think I am cheating myself!
  • januadiaboli
    januadiaboli Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I`m in the midst of doing C25K on my treadmill ... it`s just not practical to take my 5-1/2 year old and 4 year old boys out all the time, especially because the older one doesn't want to ride in the jogging stroller (understandably!). I've been setting the incline up a bit, usually 1 is fine, and have noticed that I'm pretty much at the same speed on the rare occasion that I get to run without the boys.
  • michellecrance
    Options
    I`m in the midst of doing C25K on my treadmill ... it`s just not practical to take my 5-1/2 year old and 4 year old boys out all the time, especially because the older one doesn't want to ride in the jogging stroller (understandably!). I've been setting the incline up a bit, usually 1 is fine, and have noticed that I'm pretty much at the same speed on the rare occasion that I get to run without the boys.

Yes! I am a full time working mother, when I am home my attention and times gets sucked into the black abyss of family, dinner, laundry etc. I feel like going to the gym is the only thing that allows me uninterrupted, guilt free time to work out.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Getting moving is a victory in and of itself :) Treadmill running will not fully prepare you to run an outdoor 5K if that's your goal - outdoor running has its own quirks that you just have to train with to train for - but that doesn't mean you're cheating itself.

One thing you might want to try if you can is 2 runs on the treadmill and then a third outside if you can - gets the best of both worlds :)
  • RaluKitty
    RaluKitty Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You can totally complete the program on treadmill and afterwards go out. I did it twice (2 yrs apart) and the 2nd time I went out sooner as it was late spring and the weather cooperated (I live in Seattle - I was ready to run, but not in constant drizzle!). And I agree with other posters - just doing the program, at any rhythm with any incline is a victory! Don't give up! I finished my 1st 5k race within 2 months of starting the program (ran the whole distance, finished in under 35 minutes), continued running outside a lot and inside doing at least 3 miles/intervals on treadmill once a week and I completed my 1st Half-Marathon 4.5 months after starting C25K. I love running now and any run makes me relaxed and happy :) Keep going!
  • LooptLou25
    LooptLou25 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the C25K treadmill programme during the weekday evenings & have a route I do on a Sunday morning outdoors to get used to outside running & judging my pace - subject to weather! I'd like to start doing a run in the mornings most days, but getting up earlier is proving challanging & with the weather about to change I'll probably stick to evening gym sessions for the time being.
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I did probably 2/3 of my C25K training on the treadmill, and it seemed to go just fine for me. Actually, I think it was harder running indoors than it was outside, but with the weather as opressive as it's been, i'd rather be inside than feel like my face is melting from the heat. :smile:
  • zombiesage
    zombiesage Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I jog outside because I dont have a tredmil. To me after running on my street Ive had pains in one of my legs because the ground is not flat and is tilted a little. So what I'm saying is to avoid injury run on that tredmil baby!
  • mrsbankston
    mrsbankston Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I completed C25K last week & did my first 5K on Saturday. I did the treadmill for the whole program and I gotta tell you, for me, it was sooooo different and much more of a challenge running outside. The treadmill is so much more convenient b/c I can do it early in the AM before work and before the kids are up. However, before my next 5k, I'm definitely going to try to make time to get outside at least once/week for a run.
  • michellecrance
    Options
    Thanks so much guys! I think I am going to go with the happy medium. Run indoors all but one day a week. I will probably choose a weekend earlyyyyy in the AM. I will be sure to let y'all know how it goes!
  • hikingmonk
    hikingmonk Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much guys! I think I am going to go with the happy medium. Run indoors all but one day a week. I will probably choose a weekend earlyyyyy in the AM. I will be sure to let y'all know how it goes!

I was just about to suggest this! This is exactly what I've been trying to do. First two runs indoors on the treadmill and the last run outside (preferably with an extra rest day after,where possible).

Although I honestly can't decide if outdoors is harder than indoors.
  • chazbo35
    chazbo35 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    For me, Ive tried to run outside in the beginning of the c25k program over the summer. Was progressing a bit along the way up until about week 5. Seemed to struggle alot from then on. Had a couple non running related injuries too so that made it even worse. Recently started back at my local YMCA and have been running on a treadmill and I must say, treadmill is way different than outdoors. Was only a handful of workouts and I was able to run 5k. i repeatedly was running 5k's on the treadmill then recently went back outside on a nice day to run and it didnt bode well for me. However, I think for me I have a hard time trying to pace myself. Treadmills obviously maintain your pace and you can stay wherever you set it at. Plus, you can never duplicate running outside with all the incline changes etc, unless your using a high end treadmill. Nevertheless, those have been my experiences thus far. Good Luck!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    The treadmill can certainly be useful, especially in inclement weather. I think the reason people run outside, for this particular program, is that they are working up to a 5k race and if you've only run on a treadmill by the time the 5k you've registered for rolls around, the difference of running outside could really throw you off. It really is totally different.

It's just a matter of preparedness for "the real thing".
  • Jaybew99
    Jaybew99 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    With a two month old it is too difficult for me to get out in the am to run. By the time I am home from work it's dark outside. No way am I going to run outside in NYC at night. I only run outside about 1 day a week when my workout falls on a weekend. I actually find it easier to run outside. I get more distracted versus when I'm on the treadmill waiting for the ticking seconds to pass.
  • dream_big
    dream_big Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I do mine on the treadmill. I work full time and am a single mother so my exercise time is when he goes to bed. When I get the chance I take t outside but that doesn't happen very often!
  • Alpina483
    Alpina483 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I tried one of the workouts on the treadmill and it did feel much easier than running outside in the park. If weather keeps me indoors, I'll probably follow the tip about the incline. Thanks!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I do it on the treadmill... I guess if I ever register for a 5k I'll practice running outside, but for now I'm happy w/the treadmill. I feel stupid running outside and I hate running as it is - it is hard enough for me to want to do it at the gym, there's no way I'd finish the whole program if I did it all outside.
  • mjbell642
    mjbell642 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    As others have said, on treadmill we keep our pace consistent. I thought it would be easier, but when I try to stay at that faster it really is a challenge. I think you are good going either way as long as you are moving. Best of Luck to uou and keep us posted.