What's Your "Full" Trigger?

Options
Scribetoo
Scribetoo Posts: 181 Member
I know before RNY, I never knew when I was full. It wasn't until I was OVER-full.. often painfully.. that I would stop eating.

Since RNY, I have really tried to recognize the signals my body gives when I'm approaching "full" and I'm curious if anyone else has come up with a "trigger" or "signal" you get when you're nearly or just about full?

I notice, when I'm eating a meal and getting towards the end of it, I'll be just about to put another bite in my mouth and I'll stop and take a quick catch breath.. like a sigh. Somebody told me, "that's your body telling you it's had enough!" So I started paying closer attention to it.. when I took the catch breath, I'd put the fork down and sit for a second and kind of do an internal check. Am I full? How's my tummy? Am I really still hungry?

Anyone else have a "trigger?"

Stef

Replies

• rumpusparable
    rumpusparable Posts: 160
    Options
    Not so specifically, no... I more just have a point where I start thinking "am I full?" "should I eat more" and I know as soon as I even have that question that I'm done. I don't get any stomach feeling unless I've eat too much, it's just those thoughts.
  • giggler55
    giggler55 Posts: 10
    Options
    Mine is a little burp or I feel "something" in the back of my throat when I try to eat an extra bite
  • WeightlossChristy
    Options
    I'm almost 4 weeks out, and I have the same question as you. For me though, I will eat until well, it starts to get uncomfortable..then I stop. Someone explained to me that feeling satisfied and feeling full are two different things. I still have a hard time understanding that.
  • swampymoo
    swampymoo Posts: 14
    Options
    I am revisiting the measuring my food to 1/2 cup portions. For me that elimiates overeating.

I am working on avoiding Slider Foods like crackers etc, just to easy to eat too much of it.

One tool I use is 1/2 cup ramkins that I use for my meals. I often have half a fillet of fish poached with parsley sauce and peas and a few pieces brocouli topped with a bit of smashed potato and grated cheese on top. I then grill it. So yummy and as long as I stick to my portion I dont overdo it.

I am three years out RYY but never get physically hungry but certainly have head hunger sometimes. I was told the hungry feelings would come back but it hasn't.

Biggest issue for me is drinking too soon after eating then its all over red rover...:sad:

To answer the original question: I think the quanties we are able to eat will never satify us mentally. So I am focusing on my 1/2 cup portions. I also hate that feeling of fullness in the pouch.
  • mfisher16508
    mfisher16508 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    when I have to say just one more bite, i know that one more bite will be no good.
  • tessanne10
    tessanne10 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My trigger is when you know that next bite is going to but you in a very uncomfortable position. I can feel it in the back of my throat, but I can also feel it in my stomach. I am working on proportion control, but I also have a husband who thinks that I should probably use an ice cube tray to get a better idea of what my pouch will hold now.
    He's just worried that I will overeat and stretch my pouch out and have problems.
    It's hard to deal with what I know is the proper portion and what my eyes see as a proper portion. On ObesityHelp.com I have a lady who told me that Gordon Foods actually carries containers that come in 1, 2, and 3 oz sizes.
  • miss_erynn
    miss_erynn Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I get chest pain as a trigger.... and yes, a "sigh" that I'm done. If I push to finish the last bite..........I dump.
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I am still trying to figure that piece out. Like tonite - just one more bite and my pouch was not happy with me... I am getting better listening but I need to revisit the portion sizes again... doh! :ohwell:
  • smokeywolf57
    Options
    so far I have only over ate 1 time and that was enough. I limit myself on what I eat and do not go over it.

the day I over ate it was all because of a banana. I fixed myself a tortilla shell with meat and cheese and 1 pickle. well I wanted a banana and I got half way done and I was in pain and not knowing which way it was going to come out. I laid down and after a while I was ok but man the pain was bad.

not going to do that again.
  • VaingloriousVictoria
    Options
    I sometimes get hiccups, fullness feeling, runny noses, and very tired of chewing.
  • Butlavie
    Butlavie Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I sometimes get that if I take one more bite feeling I'm going to dump..which I hate ..so I measure out half of my limit and if I want more I eat it..if not I wait about 10-15 minute to see if I can eat more if not i toss it. I was told not to eat more than a cup of food in a sitting so I try not to always finish it..and remember protein is the most important!!!
  • mandynsnuf
    mandynsnuf Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I get a pain in my chest or my nose starts to run.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I hiccup. As soon as that happens I have learned to stop. If I take another bite or two it is too much. I also eat slowly. I find if I eat too fast that I get over full before I realize what is happening.
  • miss_erynn
    miss_erynn Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Yesss! If I'm "starving" (as was the case yesterday), I started eating really fast and before I can figure out what's going on, I'm sweaty, dizzy, feel like I'm going to faint, have that feeling in my throat of wanting to throw up, hunched over from pouch pains/gas pains. I normally am quite good at eating slowly and chewing all my food.
  • BARBY1956
    Options
    I am 13 years out from having my RNY surgery and I know exactly how much I can eat before feeling uncomfortable. I have learned to stop at that point and ask myself am I still hungry. Most of the time I am no longer hungry. If I do continue to eat or pick at my food I do get that uncomfortable feeling in my chest that I know will take about 1/2 hour to go away. I have over eaten before especially if we are eating out for a special occasion and for some reason I start to sneeze.