white potatoes...

Options
renkatrun
renkatrun Posts: 111 Member
or rather, red pimpernels etc.

It is my understanding that peanuts and other legumes are off the paleo list because they (like corn) have been manipulated into something we eat, rather than being a "natural" food? What about potatoes?

Links to resources appreciated.

Replies

• meghanner
    meghanner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure peanuts are off the list because they are a legume and contain phytates which promote inflammation. Potatoes are in the category of "grey zone". They are high on the GI index and can spike blood sugar. I have always enjoyed them when I do long runs and need a starch hit or am doing a carb re-feed. I would say, approach with caution and enjoy only when your body needs some starch. Love to hear others perspectives on the potato issue too :)
  • renkatrun
    renkatrun Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Thank you for explaining the peanut thing. Good to know why I cut it out :)
    I ate a veggie paste yesterday that had potato starch in it. I felt torn about whether that was a bad thing. Not sure I will do it again. I am an all or nothing kind of gal.
  • 3lilkids
    3lilkids Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure peanuts are off the list because they are a legume and contain phytates which promote inflammation. Potatoes are in the category of "grey zone". They are high on the GI index and can spike blood sugar. I have always enjoyed them when I do long runs and need a starch hit or am doing a carb re-feed. I would say, approach with caution and enjoy only when your body needs some starch. Love to hear others perspectives on the potato issue too :)

Do you do the "starch hit" the day before, or do you do it after the run? I'm working on a half marathon in October, because I made the decision to do it just before I started paleo, and I am just not clear on carb/no carb/lo carb to help me through.
  • meghanner
    meghanner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Have you read paleo diet for Athletes? I just pre-ordered it on IBooks. I'm curious about this too. I've been experimenting with eating carbs after a run for recovery and have noticed a difference but I am wondering about increasing carb intake before as well on days when I know I'll be out for longer than an hour. Let me know if you find anything out :)
  • hcn74
    hcn74 Posts: 214
    Options
    Robb Wolf talks A LOT about post-workout nutrition on the podcast. He mostly recommends yams and sweet potatoes after a workout. Take a listen to the podcast. It's excellent and has tons of great information that nicely supplements Robb's book.

I am day 15 of a not-so-fun 21 day paleo sugar detox (thanks Diana Sanfilippo!), so the thought of a sweet potato is absolutely mouth-watering at this point. A strawberry would blow my mind!

I haven't read Paleo for Athlete's, but I have heard it is excellent.