Weight Gain on Diet Break?

Options
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on here asking for help, I'm sorry if it's been answered before I had a quick look but couldn't find the answer.

I just did a weeks diet break, it has been 12 weeks eating at cut for me and I recently found out about diet breaks. As my losses had slowed right down I thought I'd give this a go to try and kick my metabolism up a notch again.

After 1 week I have gained 2lbs?

I did the Scooby calculation for my TDEE at sedentary and added any exercise I did on top (I'm not all that consistant with my exercise so I find this method works better for me) I got TDEE 1656, BMR 1380 and my cut is usually 1420. I'm 5'4" and 129lbs.

So my question is - is it bad that I have gained on what should be my TDEE? Or is it normal and just my body being in shock at having extra food to play with? I'm wondering whether gaining is a sign that I have harmed my metabolism and I shouldn't go back down until I'm maintaining at that. Of course, I could be being a bit neurotic and over-thinking it, and it could just be a standard weight fluctuation but it does seem a lot for one week!

Has anybody else had this happen to them? What did you do? Any help is appreciated! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

2lbs weight gain can come from pretty much anything, like TOM, weight lifting, sodium rich day...
    In order to gain 2 lbs of fat you would need to overeat quite a bit, which you have not done by eating at TDEE.

See what happens when you are going back to your cut. Give it some time.

I just came back from my two weeks vacation and I gained 5 lbs the day I came home. Today, 4 days later, I am back to my normal weight.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I agree with Noor. Could be anything. I'm up 3.6 this morning ! And since I'm pretty sure I didn't eat several buckets of chicken with the Colonel and his son overnight - isn't real weight gain. Real=Fat. But I know why you are freaked - you've been eating more and are up. When I did a 2 week diet break at TDEE in May - was up 6 lbs ! That was gone in 2 weeks, then I started losing again at cut. The Body - it certainly does what it wants.

BUt .. I think I'd not overthink it too much. Was 1 week at Tdee? Hmmmm. Yea, could be anything. Do you have any other reason to want to settle in and eat at Tdee longer? If not .. I"d cut 10% and soldier on.

I"m actually considering doing TDEE for the rest of September because I"m just TIRED of deficit right now.
  • phoenixoncemore
    phoenixoncemore Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I know you are right - it's only 2lbs and it could be anything. I think I just needed to hear it from someone else.

I shall go back on to cut again and hopefully it will be gone again like you say. Thanks for being gentle with me and not making me feel like a complete nut for freaking out over 2lb! I never thought I'd be that person - worrying about a couple of pounds - dammit I should know better!

No reason for staying at TDEE otherwise, I just noticed my weight loss getting really slow and sporadic and thought I'd break for a bit as the next part of my journey is the dreaded last few pounds which are going to be hard to shift and wanted my metabolism firing on all cylinders.

You may be right, perhaps I should go for 10% instead of 15% cut now as i'm nearer goal.

Thanks so much for your help!
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I gained 2lbs just taking a rest day yesterday! LOL...

Don't worry about it....so many factors are at play when it comes to scale weight, it's not worth stressing over. Just go back to your regular routine now and it'll sort itself out in no time. :happy:
  • phoenixoncemore
    Options
    You're right. And I normally don't - just curse at the "lying b*stard scales" and forget about it. I think I'm just worrying unnecessarily because the diet break thing was new for me.

Thanks for reiterating it for me, like I said, I think I had to hear it from other people to shut up that nasty little irrational voice in my head, you know?

I might break my rule about only weighing in once a week and take a look mid week and see whether it was just a crazy fluctuation.

Thanks for the reassurance everyone!
  • phoenixoncemore
    Options
    Broke my rule and took a sneak peak at the scales today - 2lb is gone!

Sorry for my little freak out :embarassed: