Any ideas for a substitute for potato chips?

Options
2»

Replies

• Denise1224
    Denise1224 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I love bakes plantains really low in fat crunchy and tast great with hummas, salsas or even light dips :)

green bananas
    2 tsp oil, or oil-spray as required
    Salt to taste
    Spices to taste (I used chilli powder and coriander powder)

Method:

1. Cut the ends off the bananas and scrape the skin lightly with a vegetable peeler.

2. Slice into 1/4-cm thick rounds.

3. Heat the oven to 180C (350F).

4. In the meantime, toss the sliced bananas with some oil, or arrange them on a tray covered with non-stick baking paper, and spray with oil-spray.

5. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or so, then turn the slices over and spray them again.

6. Cook till the banana slices are crisp and brown (be careful that they dont burn).

7. Toss with spices of choice and let cool. Serve as a snack or as a side dish with any rice meal. Store in an airtight container.

This is a great idea!!! I used to fry the plantains but stopped eating them because I am trying to avoid fried foods!!! Baked!!! WOW I never thought of that!! Thank you!!
  • Denise1224
    Denise1224 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    what about sweet potato or beets or fit you are doing dairy in your pale diet mix the salsa with a creamy type cheese and use for veggie dip

SOO trying this!!!
  • ocliao
    ocliao Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    salsa is actually very good on omelettes (make mine egg white only!)
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    This isn't what you asked for, but if anyone else is looking for ways to enjoy salsa, I sometimes like to add a bit lemon juice to it and use it as salad dressing. :)
  • Try "Terra Chips"...They are healthy alternative to potato chips, they are vegetable chips...I found them in my local grocery store in the organic section.
  • Goal2BeFit2012
    Goal2BeFit2012 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The Special K Cracker Chips come in Southwest Ranch too...Those are awesome! :happy:
  • cookncrazy
    cookncrazy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Baked Kale chips. Saw it on Dr. Oz. Amazing replacement for chips! Great taste. Basically just clean organic kale. Tear into chip size pieces (don't include the stem). Spray with olive oil and sea salt to taste. Back at 350 for about 15 minutes. So nutritious as well.