Level One

Options
I have come up with an "innovative" way to make this video more fun - I will start counting the number of times JM says an exercise is "Simple but Effective" :)

Day 1 is officially behind me and it wasn't THAT bad.... although by the time those bicycle crunches came around at the end my legs were ready to give out.

I did 3 pound weights but didn't feel like I got the greatest burn in my arms. I'm going to see how I feel tomorrow and may bump it up to 5.

What kind of weights are y'all using? For those of you just starting - how do you feel about day 1?

Replies

• Montegue42
    Options
    Wow! Way to go wanting heavier weights! I am using three pound weights, but when it comes time to do the...anterior raise and side lunge I think? I have to do it without them because my arms start shaking so bad. Good burn though :) I have to remind myself to just keep swimming.
  • mssoulrebel_77
    Options
    OMG - I know what you mean... I really struggled with those! For those I think I would seriously have to do the 3 pounders for now.
  • triomommyedu
    triomommyedu Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the group and will start Day 1 today. I've actually done the 30 day shred before when I was going to the Bahamas but I stopped after two weeks but the results were amazing. So I am going to try again starting today. I am super glad I found this group!
  • mssoulrebel_77
    Options
    I'm new to the group and will start Day 1 today. I've actually done the 30 day shred before when I was going to the Bahamas but I stopped after two weeks but the results were amazing. So I am going to try again starting today. I am super glad I found this group!

Very glad you found us too!! I went to the bahamas a year ago - it was amazing!
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    Wow! Way to go wanting heavier weights! I am using three pound weights, but when it comes time to do the...anterior raise and side lunge I think? I have to do it without them because my arms start shaking so bad. Good burn though :) I have to remind myself to just keep swimming.

me too. when i started the 1st time i did it, i used 3 lbs for that move i had to do it without as my form woudl be off... now i am doing it the 2nr time around,i am using 5 lbs but when that exercise comes up i have to switch back to my 3 lbs...so some progress,lol
  • brbetha01
    brbetha01 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's a pretty good burn. On some of the exercises I go at faster than the trainers just because I know I can push a little harder. I use 3 lbs for the squat presses and anterior side lunges/lifts... but 5 lbs on everything else. It's the cardio that gets me... I've started having issues with my shin splints again with all of the jumping... any suggestions on 'substitutes' for the jumping rope or butt kicks?
  • neva_13
    Options
    I also started Level 1 today... it wasn't too bad. I used 5 lb weights and my arms were really feeling it by the end (but it was a good hurt)... I also had a hard time with the bicycle crunches though. Hopefully they get easier!
  • stacdjen
    stacdjen Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I finished day 6 last night and I'm still having trouble with the squat/presses. I can do the push up but I guess my arms are still too weak to go completely into the presses. I did this video over a year ago and then got busy and quit but I'm really enjoying it this time. Plus, this time around I started the video 2 months after I started my weight loss journey. 20 lbs. lighter really makes a difference. I will have my weigh in tonight to see how good my first week was to me.
  • Chewielips
    Chewielips Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just started and I use 5# weights. This sounds out of touch but I never watched Biggest Loser, I was watching Rachael Ray and Jillian was whipping her into shape. So I thought I would get the 30 day shred. OMG! 20 minutes and I'm like please stop! I really need a work out like this though I have 2 little ones and I will be able to get a decent workout every day. I also went to the library and checked out a couple more of her videos and checked out her book Master Your Metabolism. I've done other work out videos and none have made me sweat like hers. I was really impressed. Good luck to you and all who are trying to lose weight.
  • SamEriksson
    Options
    I just finished Day 1. Worse part was when she said that she knows 400lbs people that can do jumping jacks - well I'm still not going to do them (my knees are not in the best shape so I don't want to strain them too much). Otherwise thought it went quite well. Sweating and shaking. :)
  • Time4NUME
    Time4NUME Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Oh I know.. I feel bad when she says that if 400lbs people can do this then you can and then here I am struggling... :bigsmile:
  • sarahbw22
    sarahbw22 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I also started Level 1 today... it wasn't too bad. I used 5 lb weights and my arms were really feeling it by the end (but it was a good hurt)... I also had a hard time with the bicycle crunches though. Hopefully they get easier!

I had trouble with the bicycle crunches in the beginning too, so what I did was swap the bicycle crunches with the first ab work. (The regular and transverse crunches.) The bicycle crunches really are the best ab exercise you can do, so I'd rather do them first to make sure I'm putting 100% into it and then do the easier crunches at the end. I only did this until I felt confident enough to be able to complete the bicycles crunches at the end.

Good luck everyone!! It WILL get easier, just keep working hard and have patience. :)
  • lauralogan2010
    lauralogan2010 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm going to do day 1 today when I get home from work and I was thinking about continuing with the couch to 5K program as well. Right now I'm still doing mostly walking with little spurts of jogging. Am I crazy to try both?

Hope you all have had a good day & that the Shred is going well so far!
  • Godsendlesslove
    Godsendlesslove Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone I just joined the group and have already been inspired by the testimonies. I started the 30 Day Shred on September 6th and to me.......it is NO joke. I wasn't able to go all the way through without stopping but I stayed with it until the end. I did do some of each excercise. But I'm not going to give up because I really want to see the results of it. Im going to stick with level one until I can go all the way through without stopping. Glad to be a part of this group. LET'S DO IT!
  • chelw727
    chelw727 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I did level 1 day 2 this morning, and my HRM said I burned 275 calories in 25 minutes! I used 10 lb weights because thats all I have! Wish i had 8 lbs, especially for the side lunge move!!
  • ktmmom189
    ktmmom189 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I did 3 pound weights but didn't feel like I got the greatest burn in my arms. I'm going to see how I feel tomorrow and may bump it up to 5.

What kind of weights are y'all using? For those of you just starting - how do you feel about day 1?
    [/quote]

I don't have any weights so I have been doing juice bottles which is equivalent to 5 lbs each. After my 11,000 + steps I was tired. I don't know why but the jumping jacks and jump rope kill me. I seemed to have lived another day though. Great job everyone
  • LSUMOM88
    Options
    Sooo Day 1 HURT! I thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest! After no sleep last night and carrying around my poor fussy kiddo all day I wasn't looking forward to meeting up with Jillian once I put him down for the night like I was in the beginning. I have the worst upper body strength and used 5 pound weights... Definitely will be grabbing some 3 pounders tomorrow. I survived everything but man I cannot move my arms. Oliver is not going to be happy when mommy is too sore to play airplane all day tomorrow lol
    I'm happy I did it, but I'm even happier that it's over... for today at least. GOODNIGHT!
  • kikiallain
    kikiallain Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I finished day 2 yesterday! I had started the 30 day shred and got to day 9 before i left for vacation and decided to start off at zero after two weeks of eating in restaurants!! I love this workout! It's the workout that I sweat the most at! My fiance does it with me and we've vowed to do it for atleast 6 times a week for the next month until we take our engagement pictures! I get scared of level 2 though!! I still can't finish the push ups even with the modified versions and absolutely hate the lunges and squats but I get it done and then I feel great!! Here's to us!!
  • SaraSapp
    SaraSapp Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I finished day 1 last night. I didn't have any weights, so it wasn't too bad. I'm feeling a little sore today. I'm going to pick up some weights today. Should I get 3lb or 5lb? I want a good workout, but I also want to make it through the whole workout with the weights. Thoughts?
  • sarahbw22
    sarahbw22 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I finished day 1 last night. I didn't have any weights, so it wasn't too bad. I'm feeling a little sore today. I'm going to pick up some weights today. Should I get 3lb or 5lb? I want a good workout, but I also want to make it through the whole workout with the weights. Thoughts?

Get both. You'll find some exercises (like back and chest) you will want a heavier weight, but others, like the lunges and squats, you'll want a lighter weight to start off with. Walmart sells weights really cheap!!