Ready to make the leap, Looking for Paleo friends!

Options
MissXFit13
MissXFit13 Posts: 217 Member
Hello! I've been interested in trying the paleo diet for the past 6 months, but I haven't been able to make the jump. I listen to the Paleo Solution podcast all the time, and I'm amazed by the stories I hear of people who have adopted this lifestyle.

The final push that I needed to make the switch is coming from marathon training. I'm doing my first marathon October 7th. Training has been an interesting experience and a fun challenge, but I find myself hating how my body feels after eating when a majority of my meals are centered around carbohydrates. While I try to get them from natural sources, I will sometimes just rely on breads, pasta, and cereal to get my macros where they should be to tackle a 20 mile run.

Eating this type of diet has caused me to actually gain 5 pounds, even though I'm exercising more than I ever have in my life. I'm counting calories like a mad woman, but I still feel ravenous and finding myself craving more high carb, high glycemic foods as well. It doesn't help that I started rewarding myself with food after tough workouts ('Hey, I ran 18 miles, so it's cool if I eat this donut' NOT!).

I've decided after my marathon, I'm going to take a break from running and focus on creating a healthier lifestyle for myself, and focusing on food. Trying the paleo diet will lead me in the right direction to fix my broken diet of processed, sugary foods.

But I need a game plan! I've got The Paleo Solution book, a dozen blogs and websites with recipes (Nomnompaleo.com is making me super excited, I've tried a bunch of her recipes already), but I'd really like to have some Paleo/Primal friends for support, and so that I can see their food diaries to give me ideas. This is a huge switch for me, and I'm going to do it right! Thanks in advanced!

Replies

• kcmsmith0405
    kcmsmith0405 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I am more primal than paleo, but have an open food diary. I will add you!

Kelly
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the clan! Just kidding, that sounded nerdy.

I'm glad you decided to wait until after your marathon to start. You probably know this, but the first week or two can be tough as you detox from sugar, and you don't want to do that right before your marathon!

Feel free to add me. I have an open diary. I eat primal more than paleo because I love cheese and butter, and I know exactly how much I can handle before my gut rebels against the casein. Sometimes I taunt the rebels and drink milk anyway.

I've really enjoyed eating this way over the past few months. My first two weeks were very rough, though. I felt exhausted, lethargic, and depressed. I think part of that was because I didn't really eat appropriately. I was still "dieting" traditionally and not eating nearly enough calories or fat, and was probably dehydrated too. But, I began to see a major reduction in sugar cravings within 3 days, and now I am not tempted at all by all those carbs that I overate before.

This group is great. Post any questions here and you'll get great answers.
  • Cdposey26
    Cdposey26 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have been doing paleo for a little of a month and I'm loving it. Feel free to add me
  • FairuzyAmanuzy
    FairuzyAmanuzy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm Primal/Paleo since December, and I freaking LOVE IT!!!! I have an open food diary and am here every single day. Would love a new friend.
  • renkatrun
    renkatrun Posts: 111 Member
    Options

I'm glad you decided to wait until after your marathon to start. You probably know this, but the first week or two can be tough as you detox from sugar, and you don't want to do that right before your marathon!
    ^agreed. Smart to wait.

Good luck on the marathon!

You are welcome to add me. I have an open diary, too. I'm a runner on maintenance.
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Me! Me!!!! Try fastpaleo.com and paleomg.com for some crazy awesome recipes. I have recently stumbled on some fabulous blogs with terrific recipes.
  • domez
    domez Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'd like some paleo friends, Been on this site for a week now and am finding I need some friends as the general posts are just too confusing.