Cool hummus trick

Options
This is probably old news to y'all, but - I made some absolutely fabulous hummus today, and the best part about it (besides the taste) was the fact it was basically non-fat!

I used a can of chickpeas, a lime's worth of juice, salt, a garlic clove, and a couple of handfuls of cilantro + about 3oz of soft silken Mori-Nu tofu. It comes to something like under 60cals/serving and 1g of fat/serving...which is pretty good. Thought I would share!

Replies

• finchest
    finchest Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Yum! thanks for sharing!
  • jebreject
    jebreject Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My fiance and I recently bought a food processor. I've been meaning to make some hummus. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow.
  • emsicle_o
    emsicle_o Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! Houmous is one of my many weaknesses - I'm eating a pot right now :laugh:
  • LilacDaffodil
    LilacDaffodil Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    bump :smile:
  • NGMama
    NGMama Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Sounds interesting but I would really miss the tahini!

My fave hummus trick is to bake a potato, cut it in half and take out most of the potato. Exactly as a pototo skin in a restaurant would. instead of stuffing it with nasty cheese and bacon I put in hummus mixed up with cherry tomatoes and green onion. Stick it back in the oven to warm through. DELISH!
  • TwiistedTwiin
    TwiistedTwiin Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy!
  • woolly73
    Options
    Sounds interesting but I would really miss the tahini!

I agree, tahini definitely imparts a 'hummusy' taste to what otherwise would be garbanzo mash (not that there's anything wrong with garbanzo mash).

I've found that if you add 2-4 tablespoons of toasted sesame seeds to the food processor when blending the beans, and then stir in a teaspoon of sesame oil, you kind of cheat the system and get something that comes closer to a hummus, but saves on some of the calories that the olive oil in tahini would add.
  • JessicaMurch5515
    JessicaMurch5515 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    My fave hummus trick is to bake a potato, cut it in half and take out most of the potato. Exactly as a pototo skin in a restaurant would. instead of stuffing it with nasty cheese and bacon I put in hummus mixed up with cherry tomatoes and green onion. Stick it back in the oven to warm through. DELISH!

Ooh yum! I will be trying this very soon. I like spreading some hummus on a wrap with grilled veggies for lunch (asparagus, portabella mushrooms, onions, bell peppers).
  • beige2012
    beige2012 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    bump