Eating or Drinking during IF

Options
Hello Everyone
Just wandering if people ate or drank during IF. I had some coffee with cream the other day and was wondering if i had ended my fast then or if it was okay. Still new to IF so be patient with me

Replies

• shinjite
    Options
    Are you doing a split day (like 18/6) or a split week like 5/2? Whether you break your fast or not depends on the program you choose to follow and the amount of calories you consume with the coffee with cream drinks.
  • MelanieSkittle
    MelanieSkittle Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am doing 5:2, but on fast days I will have a morning coffee like you and I also drink herbal tea (plain) all day. If I didn't have herbal tea, my munchies would drive me crazy. It's not real hunger, just habit, but tea helps me mentally with that. I don't think it really matters, but I'm not giving up my coffee for anything, lol.
  • LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Diet cola and chewing gum til I break the fast
  • Elzubair
    Elzubair Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    As i know during the fast state we should stay away from any Calorie because it will spike your insulin leading to stop the fat burning process , good examples are plain coffee or plain green tea
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDRemuKYqvU
  • SlickDaddyCool
    SlickDaddyCool Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Are you stating that you don't drink water while fasting? Because I'm pretty sure it's super important to drink a ton of water. Other than that Im not really sure if coffee would have that big of an effect. I would probably go with Elzubair if I had to guess.
  • Kikilicious84
    Options
    I drink tons of water...to fight the hunger pains. I'm on a 5:2 split.
  • Womberbat
    Options
    I drink LOADS of water(with squash), coke(diet), coffee (black), herbal tea, chewing gum... and loads of FULL thoughs to drown the rumbling...Probalby too many chemicals with long names in there but that will be somethng to change once I settle down using IF.

I am doing a 4/3 split and tend to fast breakfast to breakfast so last meal is the first one of the day, as I really can't face the day without breakfast ( something I found out after some experimenting :o).
  • sassi5
    Options
    I drink coffee with no cream or sugar and I drink water. As for cream it depends on which IF your doing.
  • heroyalslimness
    heroyalslimness Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    As i know during the fast state we should stay away from any Calorie because it will spike your insulin leading to stop the fat burning process , good examples are plain coffee or plain green tea
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDRemuKYqvU

Lesson learned :drinker:
    Better late than never
  • Marlinedorcinvil
    Marlinedorcinvil Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Currently doing 18/6 but I do have coffee with cream. I thought carbs are what increase your insulin levels not calories. I may try the 5/2 next week.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I have water and Harney & Sons Hot Cinnamon Spice tea, the only tea I can regularly drink without sugar. It's naturally sweet, and although I find it hard to believe, I've been told it does not create an insulin spike.

I vastly prefer coffee, but have to have skim milk in it. I tried a coffee with a splash of cream or half-and-half, which supposedly would not be a problem, but it wasn't enough. On non IF days, I'll often have a large coffee or espresso with skim for breakfast.

I also chew sugarless gum. Someone in the IF group suggested Orbit, which I like,although the flavor fades fast.

I do 14/10, although sometimes it ends up being a bit longer.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Currently doing 18/6 but I do have coffee with cream. I thought carbs are what increase your insulin levels not calories. I may try the 5/2 next week.

I've been told by people in the IF group that adding to coffee a small amount of cream, say, a tablespoon, is not a problem.
  • AKbluedragonfly
    AKbluedragonfly Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I drink tons of water during my fasting state, nothing with calories. I occasionally drink tea, but I don't like my tea plain so that's not very often.

I don't eat during my fasting state, because then it wouldn't be a fast. But, if you're doing a fast like narrowing your window of time that you do eat, a fast day could include food technically.
  • cpsdcarroll
    Options
    FYI, when you're fasting it's not as if any single calorie ingested is going to "spike insulin" and stop fat burning. You're always burning fat, you can never switch nutrient metabolism on or off, only create environments that favor one over the other (but both are always occurring, just like you're always breaking down and building muscle).

It's recommended by Martin Berkhan at Leangains to limit any intake to less than 50 kcal. The small amount of cream or milk you put into your coffee are not going to signal your body to start expecting nutrition and put you out of the fasted state.

I'd say that if you have to drink your coffee with anything, then you don't really like coffee you just like whatever you put into the coffee. Maybe try going without the additives, not for reasons of fasting but for psychological reasons related to your dependence on whatever is in your coffee (beyond the caffeine, of course!)
  • edwardhson
    Options
    Op, was your question intended for the fasted state? or do people eat anything at all? If your doing a 16/8 lean gains IF, that means you feed during the 8 and fast during the 16. During the fasted state(if following the lean gains protocol) you can drink or eat anything without calories. Black Coffee, Tea, Water, Sugar-free gums, Sugar-free mint. You would also have to work out 3 days at the very least to take full effect. cpsdcarroll explains it thoroughly.

On the other hand if your doing a 24hr or longer fast, it means your not eating at all. "Eat Stop Eat" IF