Can this work for those of us who are really large?

Options
glwerth
glwerth Posts: 335 Member
Warning: Sorry, this is very long and I'm a confused mess, so please be patient and bear with me.

I've been dieting for most of my life.

In January, I started one where I ate 8 oz. of protein a day and all the raw veggies I could choke down. But, that was it. Oh, and a protein powder, almond milk, and frozen strawberry smoothie in the morning. This part, I still do because I like it and I'm not much of a morning eater.

I lost around 20 pounds in the first month and a pound here and there afterward. I was cranky, cold and miserable. According to my family, I was a pain in the *kitten* to be around. I did not leave my house, becasue outside of my house, I'd be faced with food and I love food, cooking it, eating it, creating recipes, it has always been something I've excelled at.

By the end of May, I had noticed a couple of things.
1. I hated my life and I would literally kill for a single cracker.
2. I only lost weight after a weekend of being "off the reservation" and eating whatever I pleased.
3. I really, really was beginning to actively HATE veggies and baked skinless chicken breast.

So, I moved to MFP and am now at 37 pounds lost. I was at about 30 when I started in June.

Then, I found EMTWL and thought it would be great.

Now, I'm seeing all sorts of people saying it doesn't work.

Then there is my best friend. She's lost a bunch of weight by being on a 1200 calorie a day diet and working out 3 hours a day, every day. She also works at the gym and teaches a high impact class twice a day in addition to her workouts.

She keeps telling me that at 313 pounds (yeah, I'm HUGE) I really cannot damage my metabolism by going very low calorie. Her trainer (who she seems to think is god, but he's really a 24 year old guy) has told her this.

So, I'm looking for advice or encouragement or something.

Can I lose weight by eating above my BMR? I was losing a bit, seven pounds between June and July, but then, I started lifting weights and the losses slowed down signifcantly, to practically nothing.

According to many, many calculators (and I've used them all by now!) my BMR is around 2100 calories, TDEE a bit over 3000, including exercise 5-6 times per week and weights at least 4 of those days, plus my chasing around my kids. I've been aiming for about 2500 on exercise days and 2100 on non-exercise days.

I'm just not sure what to do....but I do feel better when I can eat actual real food.

Replies

• wfte
    wfte Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'm in a very similar place. I lost 60 lbs in around 14 months on low calories (well low calories for me!). I never actually hit a plateau, the reason I ended up here was I was actually considering lowering my calories more as wasnt feeling hungry at the end of the day, whilst still having calories left. I would have been down to around 1600 a day (BMR is 2550).

This is when I realised that the weight I lost wasn't all weight I wanted to lose. When I was younger (early 20s) I used to say it wasn't my weight that bothered me, it was knowing what the weight was(fat!). I wouldn't mind weighing 20 stone if I looked like someone that belonged in the WWE/UFC. (extreme but you get my point) I realised somewhere along the way I'd lost this and was too much focused on the weight.

After 3 weeks of reset I've put on 5lbs. The way I keep seeing it is that , of that 60lbs I lost, I must have robbed my body of at least 15lb of lean mass. If my body decides to take back 5lb of that it's only fair.
    I've also lost a inch on my waist. I think I only lost a inch dropping the whole 60lbs and noticed very little difference in photos before and after those 60lbs.

I sometimes wonder if maybe I should go low, lose a lot of the weight first then take up EM2WL. I'm a little over 300lbs atm so got plenty to lose. Luckily these thoughts don't hang around for long. I just keep telling myself how much I'll gain back once I do start eating properly and how much harder ill have to work to build up any definition.

Sorry, after that long ramble I can't answer your question. I've been on this too short a time but I thought it might help knowing there's others at a high weight giving this a go. I have faith behind the science and you can't get any better guidance and support than that provided by Kiki, Lucia and many others here.
  • glwerth
    Options
    Oh, it helps just knowing I'm not the only larger person here!

I know exactly what you mean by all of it! I haven't delved into reset land....it scares me to eat at TDEE.
    I'm in a very similar place. I lost 60 lbs in around 14 months on low calories (well low calories for me!). I never actually hit a plateau, the reason I ended up here was I was actually considering lowering my calories more as wasnt feeling hungry at the end of the day, whilst still having calories left. I would have been down to around 1600 a day (BMR is 2550).

This is when I realised that the weight I lost wasn't all weight I wanted to lose. When I was younger (early 20s) I used to say it wasn't my weight that bothered me, it was knowing what the weight was(fat!). I wouldn't mind weighing 20 stone if I looked like someone that belonged in the WWE/UFC. (extreme but you get my point) I realised somewhere along the way I'd lost this and was too much focused on the weight.

After 3 weeks of reset I've put on 5lbs. The way I keep seeing it is that , of that 60lbs I lost, I must have robbed my body of at least 15lb of lean mass. If my body decides to take back 5lb of that it's only fair.
    I've also lost a inch on my waist. I think I only lost a inch dropping the whole 60lbs and noticed very little difference in photos before and after those 60lbs.

I sometimes wonder if maybe I should go low, lose a lot of the weight first then take up EM2WL. I'm a little over 300lbs atm so got plenty to lose. Luckily these thoughts don't hang around for long. I just keep telling myself how much I'll gain back once I do start eating properly and how much harder ill have to work to build up any Haha, at least we didn't lose 6-1 to a team that drew with Scotland!!.

Sorry, after that long ramble I can't answer your question. I've been on this too short a time but I thought it might help knowing there's others at a high weight giving this a go. I have faith behind the science and you can't get any better guidance and support than that provided by Kiki, Lucia and many others here.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Evening !!!! I'm sooo glad you are here !

I'm reading as I'm trying to nod off to sleep,so not sure if I will make much sense right now .

But ..yes!! I Certainly encourage you to try this. Low calorie and doing lots of exercise ... 3 hrs a day every day.... EGADS! isn't going to work longterm and isn't REAL. Who can do that for life ?? and yes ..it's about making changes for LIFE ..one step at a time.

have u read the stickeys? Checked out testimonials and information at eatmore2weighless.com ? If not, I urge you to do that.

I'm betting Lucia or Kiki might pop in soon ( they are crazy busy ) ...if they do or don't soon ..no worries ..I will do my best to help you out tomorrow. My day is a bit hectic, but I will be around. pease holler at me if I "forget" . k ???

Good night!

Jen
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
     Hey we actually did a video about this. I don't know if you've watched any of our videos before but we addressed if EM2WL was for everyone and that is what that topic is about. So I hope that you will keep going. :bigsmile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nepewrLE_eE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

~Kiki
  • glwerth
    Options
     Hey we actually did a video about this. I don't know if you've watched any of our videos before but we addressed if EM2WL was for everyone and that is what that topic is about. So I hope that you will keep going. :bigsmile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nepewrLE_eE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

~Kiki

Thanks. I am going to keep going. I like being able to eat and keep my workouts reasonable at the same time. I have to keep reminding myself that it took me over 20 years to get to this weight, it's not going to come off overnight.

Also, after a long dry spell, I lost a pound and a half in the last few days. I just have to remember that I've never lost at a "steady" pace, it comes off in bits and pieces here and there, but I haven't yet regained any since January, even at times when I can't even see the path anymore.

Thanks for posting the video, it really clariified some things for me. And thanks for being here and so encouraging!
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options

Thanks. I am going to keep going. I like being able to eat and keep my workouts reasonable at the same time. I have to keep reminding myself that it took me over 20 years to get to this weight, it's not going to come off overnight.

Amen! I think people lose sight of that as they try every quick fix they can find. I'm glad you found EM2WL! You'll love it and your weight loss will be forever. Not just a few months. :happy:
  • glwerth
    Options

Amen! I think people lose sight of that as they try every quick fix they can find. I'm glad you found EM2WL! You'll love it and your weight loss will be forever. Not just a few months. :happy:

That's what I'm hoping. I'm encouraged that even when I go WAY off track for a few days, I've not gained back more than a pound or two of water weight and that goes away in a day or two. That is, beyond my usual daily fluctuation of about 1-3 pounds.
  • katieb63
    katieb63 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Bump :happy: