3 weeks into EM2Wl and i'm not losing anything.

Options
It's been three weeks, and I haven't lost a pound, in fact i've been 2100 calories i've maintained my weight, the calculator says i maintain on 2500 calories, and ive tried 1800-1900 calories before and my weight would just stall there too. Should I up my calories again? maybe to 2200?
I work out weight train and caridio 4-5 times a week.
What gives?

Replies

• TanKiwi2394
    Options
    Also, a little more information about me
    I work out 4-5 times a week I alternate between upper body workouts to lower, so monday ill do upper, tues i'll do lower, etc.
    Uhm I do about 20-30 mins of HIIT or HI cardio. At least to the point where my shirt is completely soaked in sweat,
    And then I weight train for about 30 mins, i do two exercises per muscle group, and i weight train seriously, as much as i can do in proper form 3 sets, 8 reps.
    I can do a lot of weights, like in butterflies i can do 80 pounds, lat pull downs i can easily do 90 pounds, and i can easily leg press 300 pounds.
    So i think i'm pretty fit.
    But why isnt the fat coming off? Maybe i'm not eating enough?

Btw, these are the numbers scooby gives me
    BMR: 1653
    TDEE: 2562
    15 % cut- 2177
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Couple things would be helpful: age, height, current weight. Unless I know those, it's hard to tell if you need more or less calories!
  • TanKiwi2394
    Options
    Couple things would be helpful: age, height, current weight. Unless I know those, it's hard to tell if you need more or less calories!
    Height: 5'7
    Current weight: 178 LBS
    Goal weight: 135
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    It might be too early to see changes. The body needs time to adapt to new situations.

You can increase your calories, or you can also try to eat at TDEE. For a week and then go back to your cut.

If you have been on low calorie dits before for an extended period of time you would benefit of doing a reset.
  • holleysings
    Options
    You aren't eating near TDEE if your activity level is 4-5 hours a week. Scooby calculator says between 2562 for 3-5 hours of exercise a week for someone with your height, weight, and age.

What is your diet history? Were you on a low calorie diet before?
  • TanKiwi2394
    Options
    You aren't eating near TDEE if your activity level is 4-5 hours a week. Scooby calculator says between 2562 for 3-5 hours of exercise a week for someone with your height, weight, and age.

My Diet history, so 'ive been trying to lose weight for the past 2 years, 2 years go i was on a 1000-1200 calorie diet for about a year. I would keep gaining, and for the past 8 months I've decided to workout consistently (and i see progression in my fitness, just not in my weight) and i would eat 1600 calories for about 6 months. And just the past few months I've been eating 1800-1900 calories. It's only for the past month that i've discovered EM2WL, and have started eating 2100 calories.
    I also gained about 20 pounds since from two years ago, over time and slowly. I'm sure some of it is muscle from weight training, but most must be from fat.
  • holleysings
    Options

My Diet history, so 'ive been trying to lose weight for the past 2 years, 2 years go i was on a 1000-1200 calorie diet for about a year. I would keep gaining, and for the past 8 months I've decided to workout consistently (and i see progression in my fitness, just not in my weight) and i would eat 1600 calories for about 6 months. And just the past few months I've been eating 1800-1900 calories. It's only for the past month that i've discovered EM2WL, and have started eating 2100 calories.
    I also gained about 20 pounds since from two years ago, over time and slowly. I'm sure some of it is muscle from weight training, but most must be from fat.

Gotcha. So you haven't done a reset? What I would do if I were you is slowly up my calories to TDEE (which is 2560) over a few weeks. Then I would eat at 2560 for 6-8weeks before trying to cut. Or you can keep eating at your cut and you might eventually start losing weight, but it sounds like from your history, you need a metabolism reset and you probably won't lose weight again until you do one. Check out the different forum stickies about it! I did one for 8 weeks and it made me feel so much better.

I doubt the entire 20lbs you gained is from fat if you've been exercising! Does your gym have a way of calculating your body fat %?

Honestly, the weight comes off slowly for people on this program. But if you think about it, it took you two years to gain 20lbs, so it would make sense that it might take two years to lose it!
  • TanKiwi2394
    Options
    Gotcha. So you haven't done a reset? What I would do if I were you is slowly up my calories to TDEE (which is 2560) over a few weeks. Then I would eat at 2560 for 6-8weeks before trying to cut. Or you can keep eating at your cut and you might eventually start losing weight, but it sounds like from your history, you need a metabolism reset and you probably won't lose weight again until you do one. Check out the different forum stickies about it! I did one for 8 weeks and it made me feel so much better.

I doubt the entire 20lbs you gained is from fat if you've been exercising! Does your gym have a way of calculating your body fat %?

Honestly, the weight comes off slowly for people on this program. But if you think about it, it took you two years to gain 20lbs, so it would make sense that it might take two years to lose it!
    Okay! So basically just eat at my TDEE for awhile to fix my metabolism? Will i gain weight at all?
    And still exercise 4-5 times a week, yes? And that kinda sucks to hear, i want to lose weight, but i dont want it to take like multiple years to lose 50 pounds. :\ oh well
  • holleysings
    Options

Okay! So basically just eat at my TDEE for awhile to fix my metabolism? Will i gain weight at all?
    And still exercise 4-5 times a week, yes? And that kinda sucks to hear, i want to lose weight, but i dont want it to take like multiple years to lose 50 pounds. :\ oh well

Yes you might gain weight, but you CAN keep exercising! Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience

I know it sucks to hear. You should definitely get your BF% tested to see if your goal is realistic. Maybe you only need to lose 20lbs rather than 50! :smile:
  • TanKiwi2394
    Options
    You're freaking awesome :)
    This is all pretty positive for me! Even though i haven't lost any weight, i'm glad to know i can eat 2100 calories and at least not gain any weight! So i'm excited to see what it's like to eat at my TDEE just to see some actual progress! 2 month TDEE journey starts today! Thank you so so so so much!
  • LuluProteinFueled
    LuluProteinFueled Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    make sure you take photos & measurements too! lifting heavy plus eating at TDEE you will gain or maintain on the scale (prob best to just chuck it out, seriously!), but you will be feeding those muscles like they've never been fed before so you will definitely see your body will change.
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Good for you! You are so young, but you have it all figured out. Good luck on your journey.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Enjoy TDEE and when it is time to cut...SMALL CUT, start with 10% for 4wks, then do TDEE for a week then you can try 15% next 4wks, then TDEE for a week..etc. Keep the body guessing so it doesn't have a chance to adjust to a lower calorie intake.

Lucia
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Enjoy TDEE and when it is time to cut...SMALL CUT, start with 10% for 4wks, then do TDEE for a week then you can try 15% next 4wks, then TDEE for a week..etc. Keep the body guessing so it doesn't have a chance to adjust to a lower calorie intake.

Lucia

This is actually GREAT , timely advice. Those of us that have done this for a bit ( ME! ) sometimes lose sight that we absolutely do need to switch it up. Just this morning I thought to myself - SELF ! I think the ole body is getting used to these 1700ish calories and it's time to UP for a while. In fact, I think I'm gonna go close to 2200 for the rest of September.

OP - you've had some FAB advice. You are still young - so PLEASE learn to do this right, many of us didn't have the knowledge at your age, have PATIENCE. And .. I totally agree. I'm not so sure you need to lose 50 lbs. Since you are lifting heavy - I have a feeling you will hit your goal in terms of BF and how you look, how your clothes fit at a higher weight than you have your mind set on right now. It is truly a new world when you lean up your body with weights. Please be sure to take measurements monthly. That is a great tool to check progress vs. the scale.

I have a lower BF% than one would think at my weight - it's due to lifting and eating well and taking things SLOW. On average, I've lost .5 lb a week over the past year and have lowered my BF% from 40ish% down to 28% .

Have a GREAT day !
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    You're freaking awesome :)
    This is all pretty positive for me! Even though i haven't lost any weight, i'm glad to know i can eat 2100 calories and at least not gain any weight! So i'm excited to see what it's like to eat at my TDEE just to see some actual progress! 2 month TDEE journey starts today! Thank you so so so so much!

LOVE your attitude and your enthusiasm !!!
  • deevatude
    deevatude Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'7
    Current weight: 178 LBS
    Goal weight: 135

i have the same stats but im 23 years old. i did the reset for about 3 months, then i cut to 2100 and the weight has been falling off ever since
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I went for 12 weeks without losing anything and then started losing again.
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Also with your workout regimen make sure your goals include something other than the scale. You may reach your ideal body at 10 lbs heavier than you expected. Success is also measured by strength, endurance, BF%, resting heart rate, and how your clothes are fitting.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    All the advice here rocks :love:

Nothing more to add here, except....don't forget to take pics!!! :bigsmile: Often the progress is seen there or the tape measure waaaaay before the scale stops spewing lies :tongue:

~Kiki