7 months until competition

Options
Im trying to tone up and get my eating habits right before my first competition in March. I am doing a dead lift and bench press competition this month and next month as my short term goals. My boyfriend is a body builder and has been doing these small competitions to keep him busy until he decides to do a fitness competition. I go on MFP at least twice a day and am looking for anyone who would like to come along the journey with me :O)

Replies

• deniselynn13
    deniselynn13 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hey Jodi!

I am exactly 7 months out from competing as well! My first competition will be April 6th. I still have a ways to go on weight loss and work on toning, which is why i am training so far out.

My eating is dead on. I am a very clean eater already. Just this week i started on competition diet.

I am always on MFP and would love to have someone else literally going through the same thing in the same time frame!!!!

I will send you an add!

Good luck!

Denise
  • mandyspark
    Options
    I am working my butt off to do one too. If I am not ready in 3 months I will be doing a competition in 7 months as well. I would love to have people to talk to along the way. I find the dieting for it VERY hard, probably the hardest part. I think this is a great idea.
  • mandyspark
    Options
    How is everyone doing? I have been working like h*ll and I'm still not sure about November. I have 59 days but I am not sure if I am comfortable yet (does that make sense) I want to be very confident and sure I am in the best shape to do a competition. I feel completely overwhelmed to say the least. Do I just keep pushing this hard and see where I am at in 2 months, then decide?
  • crazy4lulu
    crazy4lulu Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    hey ladies im right with you. just started the new diet today for 2 competitions this spring. sooo much to do sooo little time!!
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Would someone be so kind as to point me to the diet they follow? I've seen diets that have egg whites for breakfast, protein shake, chicken and veggies for lunch and dinner and a salad. I'm not going to delude myself into thinking I'll eat like this for 6 months-especially with the holidays coming. I'm not actually competing-just want to look like crazy4lulu in her pic-that would be AWESOME. Maybe later in my journey I'd sacrifice for that diet, but baby steps for me....
  • budru21
    budru21 Posts: 127
    Options
    Hi ladies. I am going into my second season as a figure competitor. I did the 2012 Spring season, and have been building since then. My next show is April 20th. I would love to have some more support and friendship along the way. This is a very small world, actually...we just may end up back stage together some day!!
  • Pepperchild
    Pepperchild Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I was supposed to compete in October but my BF is at 24% and after working at this since July is not dropping fast enough. There is no way I could get to 15% and still be healthy. My trainer wants me to shoot for April so I'm working my meal and training plan. I have to drop BF and build lean muscle. Would love to connect with others planning for next year.
  • bahacca
    Options
    I was supposed to compete in October but my BF is at 24% and after working at this since July is not dropping fast enough. There is no way I could get to 15% and still be healthy. My trainer wants me to shoot for April so I'm working my meal and training plan. I have to drop BF and build lean muscle. Would love to connect with others planning for next year.
    pepper-I'm not planning on competing(not yet anyway), but my goal is the same-lose fat and building lean muscle. Feel free to friend me:-)
  • mandyspark
    Options
    I am definitely in training for competition. If I cannot compete in a November show I am going to work through the off season and prepare for the Spring. I booked a photoshoot in November so I stick to my goals show or not. This is one of the hardest things I have ever done. The training is hard but makes me feel great. I am also planning on attending the Arnold sports festival in March and I would also like to look in top condition for that. In regards to diet- my recommendation is that you read up on clean eating and get all processed foods out of your diet. Break your meals up into about 6 a day to boost metabolism. I have a nutrition plan for me - I would say it's not always a "one size fits all" type of meal plan for competitors if that makes sense. My plan is tailored around my needs (weight, bodyfat, etc)
  • bahacca
    Options
    Thanks Mandy. I'll do some reading on the clean eating. My diet isn't HORRIBLE by any means, but I do use things like agave nectar. Not sure if that is "clean" or not. I view it as "way better than table sugar".
  • woodml1
    woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies!

I'm training for my first competition in the spring as well! I'm aiming for April/May but I don't have an exact date set yet. I also have alot of BF to drop. My diet's not terrible but could be cleaner... and is going to have to be! I'm planning on starting my 'cut' 12 weeks out so for now I'm just focusing on making better decisions and gradual weight loss. We'll see how it's going in a few months and adjust from there!

The complicating factor? I'm also training for a half-marathon in January (my 9th). Unfortunatly the training and nutrition for the race and the show don't jive very well together!

Looking forward to sharing the success (and the pain...) with you all!
  • bahacca
    Options
    Hi Ladies!

I'm training for my first competition in the spring as well! I'm aiming for April/May but I don't have an exact date set yet. I also have alot of BF to drop. My diet's not terrible but could be cleaner... and is going to have to be! I'm planning on starting my 'cut' 12 weeks out so for now I'm just focusing on making better decisions and gradual weight loss. We'll see how it's going in a few months and adjust from there!

The complicating factor? I'm also training for a half-marathon in January (my 9th). Unfortunatly the training and nutrition for the race and the show don't jive very well together!

Looking forward to sharing the success (and the pain...) with you all!

I just did my 1st(and admittedly probably only) 1/2 on Sept 2:-) I actually quit lifting in favor of running training for about 19 weeks(length of the running program I was following). If at all possible, do NOT quit lifting. I had to stop because I have 2 kids and with summer, I wasn't able to commit all of that time. I wish I had just bit the bullet and paid for their scrawny butts to be in gym daycare while I lifted a few times a week and still ran. I lost all of my progress and basically had to start from square 1 with lifting. I am SOOOO happy to be back to doing the workouts I REALLY love and enjoy and I still run a bit for my cardio. Also-be prepared to take the week after the half off totally. I ran the whole 13.1 and I injured my foot--an area I had had 0 trouble with prior to the race. I didn't want to take any time off and basically FORCED myself to in order to heal.
    So-my advice-Do the running training 3x a week-2 short runs and a longer run on the weekend and find at LEAST 1 day to do a full body circuit of heavy lifting--more would be better, but I know how time seems to slip away.
    FWIW, I'm doing a 12 week program now for lifting and, while not on a hugely STRICT diet needed for a comp, I am really focusing on cleaning up my eating and getting lots of protein, so I'll post before and after pics when the 12 weeks is up. Best of luck and feel free to friend me:-)
  • vaneguz87
    vaneguz87 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I've comitted to my diet and exercise since May. I've been trying to eat very clean for about a month. I was thinking to step it up and train for a competition next year (as a novice of course). I think there are a few in summer. I know I have to drop a lot of my BF% during this time to be in shape to compete. My question is: is this realistic? Having 10 to 12 months to train and get in shape, to drop more that 10% of BF? Or should it wait to make the decision later next year when I'm in better shape? looking forward to your comments! ( I log on MFP daily ) :flowerforyou:
  • cyncetastic
    Options
    Start doing it now and you can re-assess where you're at as it gets closer. If you dont commit to it now, though, you might keep slipping!
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Having 10 to 12 months to train and get in shape, to drop more that 10% of BF? Or should it wait to make the decision later next year when I'm in better shape? looking forward to your comments! ( I log on MFP daily ) :flowerforyou:

It's doable, but you have to be on a high fat diet to remain in good hormone health! Cut your calories and in 11 months you will be beyond cut. That's how I train my gals who have time like you do. Do you have a trainer who can put you on that program?
  • KikiD22
    KikiD22 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'll join in the conversation here. :)

Just finished my first season as a figure competitor after doing 3 shows this year and am now in my off-season. My first 2013 show will be on March 30. Some of the goals others have listed here are definitely doable with clean eating and hard work in the gym while still maintaining overall health. I dropped 10% BF in 6 months and did it in a healthy way, so it can be done.

Now my struggle is to put weight back on and build some muscle. I'm having a hard time eating enough clean foods to put on weight. I'm just not hungry, and I hate eating just for the sake of eating! I just have to keep reminding myself that this is a gradual process, and that I have 6 months to get there. I competed in the 133-138 range in my three shows this year at 5'10". I hope to be at about 140-145 stage weight next spring and still be as lean as I was for those shows.
  • vaneguz87
    vaneguz87 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hellow beautiful people. I'm back
    @busywaterbend you are right. I forgot how important is the reletionship between fats and hormones. About having a trainer, I know one but I haven't talked to her yet about it. I'm kind of scared that she might think I'm being a little too ambtious (but hey, I'm like that and I always achieve what I want). I also need to know if she is the right person to guide me through it. I'll let you guys know after I talk to her.
  • coreygracefit
    Options
    Hello All,
    I'm new to the group. I was training for my first comp to be Nov. 3rd but I was not going to be ready so my new goal is to compete in April/May of 2013. Diet is the hardest part of me, I get very emotional and feel sorry for my husband that he has to deal with my mood swings, LOL. I just started back today on more of a "competition" type diet and did 1 hour of fasted cardio this morning. I'd love to embark on this journey with you. I also have a fitness motivation page on FB and Instagram so feel free to "like" and follow me. Facebook.com/fitness.motivation.for.ordinary.people and IG handle is fitnessmotivation_fmfop. Also, feel free to friend me on MFP as well. Anyone from the Raleigh, NC, area?? I'd love a workout partner :)
  • Training for my first Competition in March 23rd, 2013. I have been putting on muscle since 2008 when I caught the Competition Bug for the first time watching friends compete.

I have been working with two trainers, and love them both dearly, I take a large stack of supplements and am a personal trainer myself.

I will be competing in the Figure Tall Category :) So I need my bodyfat to drop about 19% in the next 5 months, which is doable. We're starting my competition diet 18 weeks out! :)

CAN"T WAIT TO GET ON THAT STAGE!

Has anyone else stoned their own suits?
  • deniselynn13
    deniselynn13 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hey girls!

How are we all doing? I can't believe it is 5 months out from competition (for some of us)! A lot of us seem to be competing around the same time frame and i agree with previous posts that we may all end up back stage together at some point!!!

My diet has been slightly off point lately and my workouts have been bad for the past week due to illness. I think i am still doing good though for 5 months out. I am really going to re-evaluate where i am at near the end of November/beginning of December. If i have to diet down more and change my workouts i definitely will!

Hope everyone is doing well and achieving all of their goals!!