Cooking from scratch

Options
13»

Replies

• myma81
    myma81 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mum and I love to cook from scratch for my family. But it can be pricey so I only do it about 4-5 times per week.
    Would love to share recipes with everyone.
  • sarahkimpton
    Options
    I cook most meals from scratch and have done for years.... the joys of having a child that can't have to many artificial colour/preservatives.

I tend to cook by instinct and just throw stuff in a pan and hope for the best lol. not very often i freeze stuff as any leftovers are usually used over the next couple of days for lunches.
  • makeoverpm
    makeoverpm Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I do cook from scratch a lot, but sadly not always, I find it hard working long shifts and being organised. I've built a fair few healthy lowish calorie recipes. I love browsing bbc good food and other sites, your welcome to check out my recipes.
  • annemckee
    annemckee Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Yes, I cook from scratch most of the time, and have done for years.

At the moment, I love the River Cottage Everyday Veg book and am also enjoying the Hairy Bikers Dieting book. I also bake my own bread - and recently baked some bagels. Cooking and adapting my own meals is a big part of this weightloss/lifestyle challenge for me.
  • CaralynH
    Options
    Everything from scratch with, at the moment, veggies from our garden. My favourite junk foods are pizza and thai, so my husband makes his own pizza dough and pizzas, and maybe once a fortnight we'll get a thai takeaway. The exception to cooking from scratch is when I'm on night shifts, when I'll take a veg-pot style dinner to work, or weightwatchers ready meal. I used to batch cook and take a frozen portion, but have got out of the habit. That must change!
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    im uk, i cook from scratch i cook for a few days at a time my diary's open. weight watchers by the way are very high cals. fresh veg is much better.
  • CeleryKass
    Options
    We have a complicated home situation. Our household comprises of Me and My three kids, my hubby, hubby's mum and hubby's grandad. Mum and Grandad are pickier with food than the kids are so it makes it very hard work catering for our crowd. For instance, tonight 5 of us are having sweet and sour chicken with steamed rice, the other two are having left over sunday dinner reheated. Tomorrow I will be making 2 cottage pies, one Hairy Dieter version and one with no veg, no onions, no tomatoes, just literally minced beef in gravy with mash on the top. Any leftovers will be frozen in individual portions so next time we have cottage pie I won't need to make 2 different ones.

I cook from basic ingredients for 6 meals out of 7 so I have more control over what I am eating. Mum in law always does the sunday roast or we go to a carvery. Either way I try to pick the healthiest bits out to eat and leave lots on my plate but have generally been so good during the week a little over indulging wont take me too far off track.

Am always happy to have more friends to share cheers and encouragement with so feel free to add me :-)
  • julieat1960
    julieat1960 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I work nights and i'm always short of ideas for quick and easy cooking, would love to see some new recipes.