Counting Calories on Dukan

Options
Is anyone counting Calories while on Dukan? And if you are why? Can we really lose weight without counting calories?

Replies

• pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Calorie counter/logger here! You dont' have to log on Dukan, but I did just because I am an accountant and wired that way. I will say the main reason I had to log is to get ENOUGH calories. I can't tell you how many times I simply had to push to get to my minimum that my doctor recommended.

it's a personal choice. Dukan says not to bother. I bothered. It gave me the comfort/confidence to just keep eating the dukan way.
  • julieuz
    Options
    Yes - I'm counting calories and have been since starting the Dukan diet. I know it's not necessary for the diet, but I started it really as a basic tool to track what I was eating to keep myself engaged and accountable. As I've progressed in the diet (I've been on it for two months), I've realized that it's critical for me to track calories since I typically come in significantly under my daily calorie goal. I'm using the tracking therefore as a reminder that I need to eat more - even though I'm not at all hungry - just to ensure I receive sufficient nutrition.
  • fmonty
    Options
    I was a bookkeeper when I worked. So I get it. I am still thinking about it. Something about makes me feel all warm and fuzzy and safe.
  • fmonty
    Options
    Wow ladies, this is encouraging. Counting calories to make sure you eat enough is much better that counting calories to be sure and limit yourself. Thanks!
  • Road_2_success
    Road_2_success Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am using MFP for counting calories and try to stay under 1200 a day. . . . I notice most days i don't have more than in a day and I am told thats why i am not losing fast. . . it is a mind set i need to work on that i need to eat to lose weight and i am just not there yet. Seeing progress just would love it to be faster.
  • fmonty
    Options
    Perash,
    I have that problem too. I have been able to have quick weight loss through lower calories when I just wanted to lose a few pounds, but, your right, for long term it won't work. I still have trouble with those numbers.
  • llsand
    Options
    I’ve been counting calories since on the diet for many reasons. The first is to realise what quantity looks like, the value of what I’m eating because when I finish the diet, I’ll still track my daily calories to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Secondly, is because I never knew how little calories we eat each day and still feel full. On some days it’s even scary ( like 800calories and I’m super full ! ). I also noticed that some foods are much much fattier then others although allowed (like salmon for example), I typically don’t loose or gain a few gr when I eat salmon.
  • ikoiko33
    Options
    I count calories … sort of, on MFP but mostly to hold myself accountable for what I am actually eating and how much. Since I have started doing that, I have been able to curb my over-eating tendencies.
  • raefost
    raefost Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've been logging my intake on here, but not paying much attention to the cals unless had a bad day. I track to keep me focused on the matter in hand and also so I can look back and see what worked and what didn't. Am knew to Dukan just started phase 2/cruise and never thought I would look forward to a salad as much before!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Hey raefost, I will tell you I felt the same way the day I started cruise! There is something about the attack and PP days that really make you appreciate the PV days! It's like you have rebuilt your body to hunger for totally different things...

Even though I am on phase 4/stabilization, I still eat the cruise phase and add in like I did on consolidation. My body is use to it and it feels "like home". I have a new comfort food group!