Food Ideas Phase 1

Options
I copied this from a website...

Peanut Butter Cookies

Last night, I made peanut butter cookies.

These were no ordinary peanut butter cookies (but when are any peanut butter cookies really ordinary?), no. These were South Beach Diet Phase 1 approved cookies.

The recipe goes as follows:

1 cup granulated splenda
1 egg
1 TBSP Vanilla
2 TBSP Part Skim Ricotta
2 TBSP Natural Peanut Butter (I used natural Peter Pan chunky)

Mix it all together and spoon it into drops on a greased (I used olive oil pam) cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.

I know what you’re thinking….no flour? No baking soda? No butter? I couldn’t believe it either.

1zg6j4h.jpg

Replies

• needmorecoffee
    needmorecoffee Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Has anyone found any great ideas for breakfast and lunches on the go in phase 1? Dinner is easy since its cooked at home. But I dont have the time to cook in the morning and figuring out what to take for lunch is tough. This morning I did the almond protein shake...I admit as much as I was NOT looking foward to it I enjoyed it and I was stuffed.

Lunch normally I just do a TV dinner..dont I remember a few years ago SBD doing TV dinners? Does my store just not carry them or did they quit? I am really bad about doing left overs but I may have to break down to and do it to get through phase 1.

Does anyone have any great suggestions?

I have found a snack that works very well. Cucumbers sliced, lemon juic, greek seasoning. I absolutly love it.
  • ErnestinesMom
    Options
    All SBD frozen foods have been discontinued ...they were by Kraft. So your memory is correct...they did have em.

The veggie quiche is great to make on the weekend...make sunday, cut into portions and grab and go during the week. I plan on doing that next sunday.

In the meantime, cheese stick, cherry toms. canadian bacon ham stuff...whatever that is called, wrapped in lettuce...cut up veggies the night before, all bagged and ready to go.

More ideas I am sure will come from other members.

Also, left over protein from the night before. NO law that it has to be eggs. I will be using the small cans of V8 for breakfast. They are another grab and go option.

Veggie Quiche Minis

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=884899
  • KimberErin
    KimberErin Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    oatmeal probably isn't aloud in phase one huh?
  • determinedhealthy
    determinedhealthy Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    No oatmeal is not allowed :(
  • eddysuchydvm
    eddysuchydvm Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    For something sweet, I like: 1 serving SF chocolate pudding (Jello-O), topped by 1 tbsp of light Cool Whip and a tbsp of shaved almonds. All of these are approved on P1 (a limited # of calories from SF sweets...100, I think?).

I have a hard time with lunch, but to be honest, I'm rarely very hungry on SBD P1...I try to eat my breakfast a bit later and then maybe a snack for lunch (HB egg, peanut butter, etc.) and then a larger dinner (since dinner is always large at my house because DH doesn't eat much during the day).

The quiche is a great idea...never tried it, but I want to this time!

Oh, there's also kale chips!
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    My shopping list ...... most of this is in my house already, but I'm sure I'll need to restock by the weekend:

Eggs, LF cottage cheese, string cheese, turkey bacon, smoked salmon, V8, hummus, chicken breast, deli turkey breast, canned beans, pistachios, all sorts of vegetables like mixed greens, cabbage, broccoli, eggplant, cauliflower, onions, zucchini .....

I just have to make sure I don't get any of the following, out of habit ...... no fruit, dairy, sweet potatoes, rice, pasta (or booze LOL) ..... my biggest concern is no dairy, which means no skim milk for my coffee ...... that might prove tough :drinker:

I think I've got things under control :laugh:
  • verptwerp
    Options
    I just have to make sure I don't get any of the following, out of habit ...... no fruit, dairy, sweet potatoes, rice, pasta (or booze LOL) ..... my biggest concern is no dairy, which means no skim milk for my coffee ...... that might prove tough :drinker:

I think I've got things under control :laugh:

^
    ^
    Nanc says I can have dairy ..... so life IS good after all ...... (guess I'd better reread the section on "Phase 1 - Foods to Avoid")
  • needmorecoffee
    Options
    Dairy is allowed but limited. I have been able to replace creamer with non dairy creamer (AKA Paper creamer) and most of my milk stuff with soy milk which seems to be slightly less frowned upon.

I just found on the apple store last night a new SB cookbook. I already spend a lot of time in the quick and easy cook book, mostly because im a normal person with a full time job and a family blah blah...The new book is called South beach diet super quick cookbook. Not one I had seen before. Im not crazy about the lay out but it does offer some new options.

for breakfast I have gotten pretty good at making the almond protine shake

1 c vanilla soy milk
    1/4 c almonds
    6 oz silken tofu
    3/4 c plain ff yogurt

I add 2 sweet n low and some vanilla. All you do is blend it (blend it well or the almonds will get stuck in your straw) and go. its actually much better than I had thought it would be and I am super full after I drink it.

Ill have to spend more time going through that new cook book and find some new yummy recipie for phase 1.
  • determinedhealthy
    Options
    The app for the iphone says 2 cups of milk on Phase 1, but only fat-free or 1%, I'm guessing that is per day.I would consider the SERVINGS when enjoy ricotta, plain yogurt, cottage cheese or and other dairy product in the same day.

For example if you plan having a cup of milk with breakfast and cottage cheese for a snack I would cut off dairy for the day. Limit to 2 serving a day for Phase 1.
  • lbt1028
    Options
    Perdue chicken burgers are delicious & allowed on all phases of SBD!!! Some stores don't sell the patties, but you should be able to find the ground chicken and you can quickly make your own. I cook mine ahead of time and have quick meals ready to nuke & go. Add a slice of low fat (or no fat) cheese. YUM!!
  • determinedhealthy
    Options
    Thanks for the idea!!! Can you post the recipes? Please.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    My hardest challenge will me my morning creamer. I am absolutely addicted to Coffeemate Hazelnut creamer. I use the sugar-free so it is only 15 cal per tbsp, but I use 3 tbsp in a cup and have 3 cups of half-caff in the mornings. Guess I can try cutting back to 2 tbsp per cup and only have 2 cups, but waaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh. Also, it is hard to get in all the fiber I need without some carbs. Guess I'd better up the spinach. Anyone know some really high fiber foods that are on Phase 1?
  • verptwerp
    Options
    Debbie,

Eat tons of different types of veggies for breakfast, lunch, dinner & snacks ...... raw, sauteed, in a stirfry, and roasted ...... I love my roasted veg, and usually throw in a handful of chickpeas ..... they're lovely ....... drink lots of water too :drinker:

Mary Ann
  • ErnestinesMom
    Options
    Cheese is listed under PROTEIN: (including cottage cheese)

CHEESE (FAT-FREE OR REDUCED-FAT)
    For hard cheese, look for varieties that have 6 g or less fat per ounce.

American

Blue cheese (does not come as reduced fat, so use in moderation)

Cheddar

Cottage cheese, 1%, 2%, or fat-free

Cream cheese substitute, dairy-free

Feta

Mozzarella

Parmesan

Part-skim ricotta

Part-skim string

Provolone

Swiss
  • ErnestinesMom
    Options
    DAIRY is as follows:

Except for half-and-half, 2 cups allowed daily, including nonfat or low-fat plain yogurt.

Low-fat milk (fat-free and 1%)

Buttermilk, 1% or fat-free

Evaporated milk, fat-free (2 Tbsp.)

Greek yogurt, nonfat plain

Half-and-half, fat-free (2 Tbsp.)

Milk, 1% or fat-free

Soymilk, low-fat plain, vanilla, or artificially sweetened (4 g or less fat per 8 oz. serving). Be sure that the product does not contain high-fructose corn syrup

Yogurt, low-fat or nonfat plain
  • ErnestinesMom
    Options
    NOTE: Amazon has the South Beach Diet Supercharged available to LOOK INSIDE. You can see lists of foods to enjoy and to avoid in Phase 1. Just go to the Table of Contents...even Phase 2 is open ... I was amazed to see so much of the book open for us to see.

Hope that helps to alleviate confusion.
  • ErnestinesMom
    Options
    Water is MY issue. Will go for 4 glasses first week and 6 glasses second week. Hold at 6 for a few weeks and work towards 8.
  • ErnestinesMom
    Options
    In my fridge and pantry:

albacore tuna
    peanut butter (nuts and salt only) no added sugar
    V8
    black beans
    pistachios
    walnuts
    almonds

FRESH:
    cilantro
    green beans
    red, yellow, orange bell peppers
    eggplant
    mushrooms
    fresh spinach
    romaine lettuce
    cherry tomatoes
    celery
    onions
    lemons
    avocado

2% cottage cheese
    Laughing cow cheese wedges
    parmesan/reggiano (fresh)
    2% american cheese
    2% pepper jack cheese

eggs
    lean sirloin
    boca burgers
    turkey bacon
    wild caught salmon
    extra lean burgers

fat free plain FAGE
    skim milk

sugar free jam
    sugar free syrups

sugar free healthy choice fudge bars

sugar free hard candies

EVOO
    Smart Balance Light

Still need to pick up, string cheese, boneless skinless chicken, some kind of deli meat with out junk in it or sugar...not easy to find...and WATER...ugh.

This is to get me started...holy cow...there are a lot of choices...anyway, just an idea of what's in MY fridge and pantry.

Hoping for a great night's sleep to step out on the right foot tomorrow. I am excited. :bigsmile:

Let's hear it from you guy... I am always looking for ideas.
  • needmorecoffee
    Options
    My hardest challenge will me my morning creamer. I am absolutely addicted to Coffeemate Hazelnut creamer. I use the sugar-free so it is only 15 cal per tbsp, but I use 3 tbsp in a cup and have 3 cups of half-caff in the mornings. Guess I can try cutting back to 2 tbsp per cup and only have 2 cups, but waaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh. Also, it is hard to get in all the fiber I need without some carbs. Guess I'd better up the spinach. Anyone know some really high fiber foods that are on Phase 1?

The easiest way to do fiber with out carbs, greens. Spinich, Broccli, Zucchini, squash. I seem to exceed fiber every single day but have finally gotten it so that I dont exceed the carbs.

Next up..sodium...gotta get that down!
  • ErnestinesMom
    Options

Before I joined SBD online in 2008, I was totally addicted to Coffeemate...the other evil white powder. I was not ready to give it up...
    And faught it all the way...

But I was doing everything else so well, that I had to find something that would work.

I did ... skim milk FROTHED. I found a frother on amazon.com I heat the milk up in a tall mug for 30 seconds...and then froth the heck out of it...it triples it size...or even more.

I did it for a long time. Then for some reason...(insert being lazy in there)...I went back to the coffeemate...and felt sick. Had to throw out a huge container (ty costco for enticing me)...and went back to hot frothed skim milk.

About 8 months ago I decided to go with half and half...not fat free, cuz there is corn syrup in the fat free stuff...I just went with the half and half.

Well, here we are in P1 and I knew I had to go back to the hot frothed skim milk. And I am so happy I did. It can be done. You just have to have an open mind about it...IMHO.

Today, I found a sugar free bbq sauce on netrition.com It is called Guys. Put my order in, cuz I make a lot of poached chicken...hoping for a nice pulled chicken bbq sammy when we get to add back whole grains next week.

I go with Ezekiel bread and tortillas, buns and English muffins. All sprouted grains...very good for combating the sugar spikes associated with breads ...

http://www.foodforlife.com/our-products/gluten-free-wheat-free-breads

Just some ideas to throw out there.