Anyone else suffered remission then relapse??

Options
masirahmo
masirahmo Posts: 30 Member
Hi Ladies,

Just wondered if anyone else has gone through this. Three years in and I really thought the end was in sight a couple of months ago. Hot flashes ( which are my main demon ) had subsided to a reasonable level and I was getting some quality sleep and beginning to feel human again. Then bang! They're back with a vengeance - and I do mean a vengeance!! Nights are definitely the worst, but getting quite a few during the day as well and this had all but stopped. How nasty a trick is that to play on a body??
The flashes are bad - lasting anything up to 30 minutes and accompanied by palpitations and nausea. I know exercise helps but I just don't have the energy after about 2 hours' sleep! Nothing in my routine or eating habits has changed. Keep telling myself that maybe it's the last crisis before it stops altogether .....................some hope!

Also, has anyone else been plagued by more zits than a teenager? I don't think I had this many when I was a teenager.

Replies

• lauralind5
    lauralind5 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, Ive experienced much the same. Its so frustrating ! And yes, I thought it was NOT Funny to have Wrinkles AND Zits !!
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I've debated about whether to do HRT or not, but if I were having the symptoms that you just described; I would be running to the doctor's office for my prescription!
  • masirahmo
    Options
    I've debated about whether to do HRT or not, but if I were having the symptoms that you just described; I would be running to the doctor's office for my prescription!

Do you know - I really have been thinking about it the last few days. I've tried to do without it - but I'm really getting to the end of my tether with it now!

Would welcome some input from anyone who is on it?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Definitely. Mine just keeps shifting...
  • brandyla78
    Options
    I am in surgical menopause at age 34 (don't know if that makes a diff) and unable to take hormones. I did without any help for over a year before I threw in the towel last spring. I went on Paxil (very low dose) for four months and lost eight pounds. While on the paxil I had NO hot flashes (also NO sex drive...went from very little to zip ). Anyway I think that chemical change in my brain helped to make an adjustment on my body. I've been off Paxil since May and yeah I do get some hot flashes (always accompanied by the nausea) but not nearly as much as before.

The only major life change I made was to consistently exercise. My goal prior to this was to work out 30 minutes a day every other day. Now I do at least 45 minutes six days a week. I have been strict on my diet for years thanks to high cholesterol. The only other med I take is Lipitor (been on that since age 22..darn genetics!). I can say every time I get sick or have allergy/sinus issues, I will have sleep problems (sweats and flashes) for a few weeks then it dies down again.

YES on the breakouts...sheesh...what the heck? and since I'm not taking any hormones we can't blame it on that.....it's so strange(plus completely aggravating!)

Don't know if that helps any but thought I would throw my 2cents in :) I hope they don't come back full force..YIKES!
  • masirahmo
    Options
    I am in surgical menopause at age 34 (don't know if that makes a diff) and unable to take hormones. I did without any help for over a year before I threw in the towel last spring. I went on Paxil (very low dose) for four months and lost eight pounds. While on the paxil I had NO hot flashes (also NO sex drive...went from very little to zip ). Anyway I think that chemical change in my brain helped to make an adjustment on my body. I've been off Paxil since May and yeah I do get some hot flashes (always accompanied by the nausea) but not nearly as much as before.

The only major life change I made was to consistently exercise. My goal prior to this was to work out 30 minutes a day every other day. Now I do at least 45 minutes six days a week. I have been strict on my diet for years thanks to high cholesterol. The only other med I take is Lipitor (been on that since age 22..darn genetics!). I can say every time I get sick or have allergy/sinus issues, I will have sleep problems (sweats and flashes) for a few weeks then it dies down again.

YES on the breakouts...sheesh...what the heck? and since I'm not taking any hormones we can't blame it on that.....it's so strange(plus completely aggravating!)

Don't know if that helps any but thought I would throw my 2cents in :) I hope they don't come back full force..YIKES!

Thanks Brandy,

Any info is a help! I'm pretty ignorant about the whole HRT thing - so it's very interesting to hear that you can get a low dosage version, I think I will speak to my doc about that. I do usually work out 5 or 6 days a week, but I've felt so awful the last couple of weeks that my heart just isn't in it. I also have a pair of very dodgy knees which have decided to play up recently which is not helping! It's been a real education reading some of the posts - the things that can be attributed to menopause that I've never heard mentioned before. During the really hot months of Summer I started to get strong pins and needles or pricking in my hands/forearms and sometimes my feet; and was on the point of going to see the doctor when I read that this a common symptom of menopause and can be helped by B vits. Started taking a B multivit and it did help. I think I might start a thread on all the different symptoms just for a laugh!
    To be fair to my endocrinologist - I have a thyroid problem as well - he did warn me that it might just be a period of respite and not the end of the road. Boy - he wasn't joking!! I think it was just such a disappointment after feeling "normal" for a good few weeks and then going back to being worse than ever!
  • brandyla78
    Options
    Just to clarify...Paxil isn't a hormone it actually is/was for depression then someone made the connection and it and some other "happy" pills are now used to help with menopause symptoms. I was like "HECK no I'm not taking depression meds; I'm not sad" Then my doc explained all the brain chemistry and WHAT the hot flash actually is...and well long story short...some help without hormones...for those of us who can't take them :)