Discouraged!!

Options
lissa0040
lissa0040 Posts: 362 Member
I am discouraged friends! I hired a trainer and was kickin' butt (sometimes even literally! ha) but then I got sick a FEW WEEKS ago and I am still coughing! The doctor says its allergies and has given me medicine while also saying it'll just have to run its course. *sigh. I need to be able to work out! But I legitimately can't do anything without coughing. I just need to keep signing in here and trying to make decent food choices. I don't know if it makes sense to you all but sometimes I fall into the "all or nothing" category. It's like since I am not working out I might as well eat a cheeseburger, and french fries, and a cookie! I have to at least get my diet under control. Maybe as I start feeling better I can try going for short walks? I have to make a plan I can't gain all this weight back I was doing to so good. I still have a bunch of sessions with the trainer when I feel better I can get back on that track. Anyways I am trying to get back on track!

Replies

• joannecando
    Options
    I am right her with you! I feel like since i can't go work out, why not sit around and have a coke and a pizza? What difference is it going to make? You are right though, keep on keeping on. We will get better and back on track. A false start is better than no start, right? A couple of those might lead to a real start :)
  • chrissy198727
    chrissy198727 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I sometimes get in the mind set of all or nothing, but I have come back to reality. How long did take me to loose 10 pounds? How long did it take for me to kick some bad habits? Once, I did some reflections, I bounced back to just because I can't workout. Choose right food choices, and track everything. As far as exercising, the times when I was sick or whatever the issue was, I do the smallest things, just for peace of mind.

EX:
    Laying in bed, lifting my arms slowing for some reps.
    Laying in bed, lifting my legs for reps.
    Patting my feet some the floor.

Just about anything will burn calories, so don't stress out. Don't stop! Keep going and coming on here, getting that motivation from others.
  • alanabanana01
    alanabanana01 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I totally get the all or nothing! I agree with Chrissy---small movements can so add up----even just jiggling your legs while sitting! Doing arm reps, etc.

the main thing is not to give up! YOU ARE WORTH NOT EATING THAT CHEESEBURGER!!! :happy:

I am glad you are still getting on line and tracking, you will feel better soon, and back on the path.
  • ceannesjourney
    Options
    I think you're right and doing a bit of walking will help...it'll help to clear your lungs a bit too. I believe your body is telling you that it needs to be taken care of gently right now. Please be kind to yourself. I also understand the all or nothing thinking, I think I'm better than I used to be with that. I try to remember that just because I've eaten such and such food or too much food it doesn't mean that I need to continue to eat like that. I've even been able to change my eating during the same day that I've eaten something I "shouldn't" which I would never be able to do before.

The analogy that was provided to me was that if you were on a bus on a trip and it broke down, you wouldn't expect the bus to go right back to the beginning. You'd just get back on the bus when it was fixed and continue on your journey...oh well, it helped me.

One thing I do to "trick" myself--so bad that we have to do that!--is say "okay, you can have ice cream, or cheeseburger, or whatever, only after you have eaten a big salad, so I force myself to eat well before eating anything else. Usually the craving goes away.

Anyways, I hope you feel better really soon. I had pneumonia (not saying that's what you have) so I understand about the energy, lung power, etc. to move your body. I also want to suggest that food is really about half of the issue with gaining health/losing weight, I lost almost all of my weight without changing my exercise/or lack thereof. Changing what I ate and how much at a sitting, etc was the biggest thing for me. I know we're all individuals though, so must do what we think is best for us.

Take care!!!
  • Theocian74
    Theocian74 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes I agree take good care of yourself and rest, as well as light walks maybe or chair aerobics :)....I like dancing in my computer chair :) .... Please don't give up your good eating habits. "All or nothing" isn't worth it in the end .