Once you go paleo you can't go back.

Options
Whitezombiegirl
Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
So, I thought I'd like a wrap this weekend. (Its TOTM so I crave carbs). I had to buy a pack of 8- and by day 4 they had all gone. OMG- the bloating, the pain, the need to lie prostrate in bed and waste my bank holiday. So what have I learnt?

Its just not worth it- once you go Paleo, you won't go back!

(Plus they did not taste as good as i was expecting)

Replies

• christimw
    christimw Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    like me and my ice cream friday. it's NEVER bothered me before, but after a week of changing the way i eat, OMG, the next day my stomach was in a huge knot most of the day, and i was bloated ALL weekend. not fun. but i'm glad it did that to me, so now i'll think next time i pass the ice cream place.
  • mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Funny, I went to BJ's last weekend and had a gluten free pizza and a Redbridge, and suffered no ill effects. This coming from someone who suffers severe IBS and fructose intolerance!

Back when I was low-carb Paleo, however, I could not eat more than 100g of carbs in a day (even safe starch) without suffering horrible bloating and gas. So there is something to be said for carb tolerance I guess!

PS. I also have Celiac and do not ever cheat with gluten.
  • Fitby31
    Fitby31 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me with 2 diet cokes. had them on Friday with dinner after a week with no artificial sweetener. Paid for them the rest of the night & next morning. Stomach cramps, achy joints (which really surprised me), & headache...soo not worth it!
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I always find that anything that you "cheat" with never tastes as good as you remember. I find now that (not that I've had any in a long time) pasta is just tasteless mush, it's what you put on it that tastes good. I also can't even stand the smell of bread any more.
  • zellagrrl
    Options
    Except a burger from Skillet, with bacon jam. Local Seattle restaurant, but bacon jam is sold nationwide at Whole Foods. The brioche bun totally makes it.

That said, there are now *very* few things worth getting sick over, especially since I was sick as a dog on our honeymoon. I think my list is below:

Real Southern biscuits (the soft and squishy kind)
    Skillet's bacon jam burger
    Matzo brie (eggs and matzah, and there is no way to replicate this GF)
    Matzo ball soup

Otherwise I'm pretty happy with GF substitutes... but those are just ones that are not easily replicated and where for the right version, a few days of misery is actually worth it.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Paleo matza ball soup. That's funny. I think that will be on my list too. I thought fried calamari from Buca di Beppo was on my list, but no. Not worth it. I think it's basically just chocolate peanut butter icecream from Glacier home-made for me.

I've been thinking about this. Mark Sisson wrote:
    "It’s conceivable that gluten could be doing damage and causing constant, low-grade inflammation without you even knowing it. This is why folks who go Primal and give up wheat and other gluten-containing grains become more “sensitive” to wheat upon reintroduction. It’s not that going Primal has suddenly made them intolerant of gluten; it’s likelier that going Primal has made them more sensitive to their gluten sensitivity. It was probably always there, but they never knew what they were feeling until they removed it and then tried to reintroduce it."

I think this is one thing I disagree with. I actually do think I'm gluten sensitive/intolerant now, and it's not just that I notice the difference more. I never got headaches, major diarrhea, or cramps when eating gluten before. But after going primal, I really suffer. I think it's not that we're just more aware of our sensitivities. I think maybe our body adjusts to not having to deal with all the leaky gut and inflammation garbage, so our "defenses" against that stuff decrease, since we're not constantly at war with our food. Then when you reintroduce gluten, the guards (bacteria, white blood cells, etc) that used to be there to deal with that crap are off enjoying their vacation, and we're left to fight the battle on the toilet.

Very scientific hypothesis, I know.
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I'm still suffering from nachos and pizza from football this weekend. It's a painful lesson why I can't and won't eat gluten anymore! The pizza was very good though...Just not worth it
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    like me and my ice cream friday. it's NEVER bothered me before, but after a week of changing the way i eat, OMG, the next day my stomach was in a huge knot most of the day, and i was bloated ALL weekend. not fun. but i'm glad it did that to me, so now i'll think next time i pass the ice cream place.

There are some super simple, paleo/primal friendly ice-cream recipes out there. I make my own and my two kids can't even tell the difference. You can also buy almond and coconut milk icecream at the grocery stores these days. A good alternative for the cravings without the bloating afterwards.
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Except a burger from Skillet, with bacon jam. Local Seattle restaurant, but bacon jam is sold nationwide at Whole Foods. The brioche bun totally makes it.

That said, there are now *very* few things worth getting sick over, especially since I was sick as a dog on our honeymoon. I think my list is below:

Real Southern biscuits (the soft and squishy kind)
    Skillet's bacon jam burger
    Matzo brie (eggs and matzah, and there is no way to replicate this GF)
    Matzo ball soup

Otherwise I'm pretty happy with GF substitutes... but those are just ones that are not easily replicated and where for the right version, a few days of misery is actually worth it.

I made this for my friends celebration and it was the first time she'd had matzo ball soup since being diagnosed with celiac (she cannot tolerate any form of gluten, she ends up in hospital). She thought this was delicious.
    http://www.elanaspantry.com/matzoh-ball-soup/
  • zellagrrl
    Options
    Interesting... I will try this, but I'm kind of skeptical about the texture. Hmm... may have found a use for the remaining chicken broth in my fridge :P
  • epcooper
    epcooper Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I had the exact same thing happen to me over the weekend. My husband came home from Iraq and I didn't feel like cooking so we got a pizza at his favorite place. Boy, did I end up paying for that!
  • KittyMarie13
    Options
    Even after just a couple of weeks of Primal I'm noticing a difference. Tuesday night's Cheddar Bay Biscuits overload has me groggy, sore, terribly lethargic, and just generally icky. Not to mention bloated beyond belief.

Going to cut my carbs down as low as I can the next couple of days to help get my body back on track. Is there any good way to help speed along getting the lingering wheat gluten out of the system?
  • primalperson1
    primalperson1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    EPCooper--glad to hear your husband is back!

I am pretty low carb (around or under 60 daily) however I had a hard time giving up these chocolate macadamia nuts and popcorn, which my husband eats daily. Every time I had popcorn (home made with olive oil) my stomach hurt the next morning. Hubby is gone for awhile and yesterday was my first day with no chocolate and no popcorn. Stomach still aches a little today. I wonder how long it will ache? Also I really notice the inflammation in my feet (of all places) after I have the popcorn.....weird, but inflammation nonetheless.
  • mantisladyx
    mantisladyx Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Well, I just totally blew it....and it was totally planned, so yesterday I had this huge Ham Bone, so I made homemade split pea and bean soup....oh it was so good, but the pain after, not so good......did I learn........no, when I blow it I blow it huge,so today after work, to the old Chinese buffet that I USED to love....but half an hour after eating, bathroom where art thou.....and the cramps, so tomorrow, I will be totally recommitted that I will most likely be doing the whole 30. I guess it is not so easy when old habits can get you and hard to walk around the hole even when you know the hole is there we fall in it time and time again.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten-intolerant - extremely so, to the point where if I consume it I bloat, turn red, and barf out both ends. You're quite welcome for the imagery.
    Going Primal after learning of my intolerance came naturally, and honestly, it's one of the best things I ever did... Though, admittedly, I still love my peanut butter. And my beans. Apart from them, everything about the Primal lifestyle is ideal to me - Nope, no going back. Don't think I can, wouldn't want to.

Frozen Banana + Flavour of choice + Blender = Omnomnom.