Question about deadlifts

Options
l_stanz
l_stanz Posts: 17 Member
I just finished my second B workout today and I am a little unsure if I am doing the deadlifts correctly. The first time I did the workout, I kept my legs straight the whole time (that's how the trainer showed me; I realize now that was wrong). Today I bent my knees when lowering the bar back to the floor.

Two quick questions: First, should the bar touch the floor after each repetition? And second, should I be feeling it in my lower back? It doesn't hurt per se, but I don't want to injure myself.

I appreciate all of the help!

Replies

• heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Several people posted helpful advice in my thread a few days ago- I tried again last night and it was SO much better!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/731340-help-scared-of-deadlifts

I think the most important thing for me was putting the bar up on a step. Yes, you have to lower completely for every rep. I am a total newbie, but from reading older threads, I think you really don't want to feel it in the lower back. I definitely felt a lot more in hamstring just below the butt type area yesterday. Good luck!
  • aquajen77
    Options
    I love deadlifts, but they hurt my hands! I'm up to 95 lbs, and feel like I could go heavier, but the grip issue is holding me back. I've tried with gloves and without. I honestly thought it felt better w/o gloves. Any pointers, or will it just take some time? I'm in Stage 1 and just finished 6B.
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I love deadlifts, but they hurt my hands! I'm up to 95 lbs, and feel like I could go heavier, but the grip issue is holding me back. I've tried with gloves and without. I honestly thought it felt better w/o gloves. Any pointers, or will it just take some time? I'm in Stage 1 and just finished 6B.

Maybe you didn't use the right gloves...I could not deadlift without my gloves! My hands hurt and I got horrible callouses until I started using my gloves.
  • curlygirly80
    Options

I just saw a youtube video regarding this yesterday. The guy called it a double hook. Take one hand and go under the bar and the other goes over the bar. He said it would help when you start to lift heavier weights. Hope it helps, let me know if it does.

Chrissy
  • RUNN3Rmom
    Options
    I just saw a youtube video regarding this yesterday. The guy called it a double hook. Take one hand and go under the bar and the other goes over the bar. He said it would help when you start to lift heavier weights. Hope it helps, let me know if it does.

Chrissy

I agree w/this lift. I know that Alwyn's book suggest that you build your grip strength but there is only so much you can do...I use this technique (over & under, also known as the farmer's carry) for my last few reps of my most recent DL's (135lbs).
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I also use a switch grip over 80lbs, and keep your thumbs out. Don't tuck them around the bar. You don't have to hit the floor. Sometimes i do, but most of the time I don't. You shouldn't feel it too much in your back. If you do, there's something wrong. You want to push through your heels and focus on working those leg muscles. You know the old saying "lift with your legs not your back." As you come up you want to snap it and thrust out your hips. Watch the worlds strongest man videos. and they're lifting cars lol
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    When my grip is weaker, I switch to the wide grip deadlifts and usually after a few sessions of that I can go up on my standard deadlifts. I also don't use gloves. I don't want to do switch/alternating grip since I favor one side anyways- don't want to encourage my tendency towards extreme muscular imbalance.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    http://stronglifts.com/free-video-how-to-deadlift-with-proper-form/

Here's a great video! I like sam, use a switch grip too. I started at 85 lbs and now can deadlift 110.
  • aquajen77
    Options
    Thanks, I'll try the switch grip next time. I'd rather lift without the gloves.
  • aquajen77
    Options
    The switch grip worked great. I was able to jump up to 115 today!