Adrenal supplements???

Options
TXBelle1174
TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
Is there an adrenal and/or hypoT supplement that I can get OTC? I am desperate at this point. I feel like I am going crazy. I am so tired all the time and because of that, I am in a bad mood, have bad headaches, can't remember a damn thing. I see my regular dr. on Thursday and hoping she can help me although nit getting my hopes up since she referred me to the crappy endo that I fired. Also hoping she gives me a referral to the awesome endo in Corpus.

Replies

• debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I went to a Naturopath, and she sold me Natural adrenal. I've also had tests to see what hormones are off, so that can be treated more specifically. I don't know if endo's do that. Are you on thyroid meds?
  • TXBelle1174
    Options
    I went to a Naturopath, and she sold me Natural adrenal. I've also had tests to see what hormones are off, so that can be treated more specifically. I don't know if endo's do that. Are you on thyroid meds?

Yes, I am on Armour - 60mg. I am seeing my primary Dr. this week and will ask for the cortisol or adrenal function test. I think my dose of Armour is too low. My tests came back normal but they were barely normal and I find that I need to be on the other end of the spectrum to feel all right. My endo refused to change the dose or run other tests.
  • debbylee22
    Options
    Apparently you can buy those adrenal kits online & do it yourself. It was quite expensive through the Naturopath, I should of done it myself! I'm actually taking dessicated adrenal now, soon switching to Isocort to treat low cortisol. Its making me nervous, as I've read up on it, and has to be right on or it can cause worse symptoms. :noway:
    I guess the alternative is to see a different dr. if you can't get any further with this one. On another thread that is going... I posted a link to help you with your Dr visit. Here it is: (copy & paste in your browser)

http://thyroid.about.com/od/thyroidbasicsthyroid101/a/Challenges-To-Getting-A-Proper-Hypothyroidism-Diagnosis.htm?nl=1
  • 05saleengirl
    Options
    I was on an OTC adrenal supplement and didn't start feeling better till I dropped it and started my taking my thyroid meds before waking as described here:

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/t3-circadian-protocol-for-adrenals-2/
  • debbylee22
    Options
    I was on an OTC adrenal supplement and didn't start feeling better till I dropped it and started my taking my thyroid meds before waking as described here:

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/t3-circadian-protocol-for-adrenals-2/
    That's what I do too, and my Nat. Path thinks that may be why I can get by on such a low dose. I also feel good.
  • debbylee22
    Options
    Anyone taking natural thyroid & isocort? I'm getting muscle soreness today, when I climb the stairs. I wonder if its my thyroid, or adrenals causing this? I'm on rather low doses of both, so its confusing. :noway:
  • TXBelle1174
    Options
    I read that licorice helps with adrenal issues. I bought a supplement and am trying it out. If it works - YAY!!! If not, I only wasted $8. We will see.
  • debbylee22
    Options
    Licorice does work for some people. It was too much for me. Gave me edema & high blood pressure. Supposed to be only temporarily taken too. Be careful!
  • TXBelle1174
    Options
    Licorice does work for some people. It was too much for me. Gave me edema & high blood pressure. Supposed to be only temporarily taken too. Be careful!

Yes, I read that also. The dose on the bottle says 2 pills, 3x daily... at the moment I am only take 1 pill, 1x daily.. just for a little boost. May help, may not. We will see. :smile:
  • moejo3
    moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I used Isocort you can buy it on Amazon, my Naturopathic Dr. recommended it and also sells it. It works better than anything else I tried. I used two in the morning and two after lunch for several years. I now only take it if I feel i start to feel run down, I suffered with several adrenal fatigue for many years. Just don't overexert yourself and nap when you can. It takes time but, this supplement did help.
  • moejo3
    Options
    Anyone taking natural thyroid & isocort? I'm getting muscle soreness today, when I climb the stairs. I wonder if its my thyroid, or adrenals causing this? I'm on rather low doses of both, so its confusing. :noway:

I took Isocort for years made a world of difference for me. I also keep a bottle handy if I get run down. two in the am and two in the afternoon.
  • moejo3
    Options
    Is there an adrenal and/or hypoT supplement that I can get OTC? I am desperate at this point. I feel like I am going crazy. I am so tired all the time and because of that, I am in a bad mood, have bad headaches, can't remember a damn thing. I see my regular dr. on Thursday and hoping she can help me although nit getting my hopes up since she referred me to the crappy endo that I fired. Also hoping she gives me a referral to the awesome endo in Corpus.

I recommend Isocort you can buy it on Amazon 2 in the am 2 after lunch I still keep it handy.
  • debbylee22
    Options
    I took Isocort for years made a world of difference for me. I also keep a bottle handy if I get run down. two in the am and two in the afternoon.
    So, you think it is more likely the adrenals than the thyroid that needs to go up? I only take 1 tablet in the morning, and it keeps me so "alert" that I almost feel like I'm on speed. I upped my thyroid & was going to lower the isocort. hmmmm....
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I take adrenal cortex - I get it at whole foods. But I only take it once a day in the morning.
  • carolyn002
    carolyn002 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've just started taking a natural thyroid extract 30mg which is starting to help a little with exhaustion and brain fog - but not a lot. Do anyone know anything about Natural Thyroid Extract from thyroid glands of pigs? The info says it contains 36mcg T4 and 9-10mcg T3 per 60gms.
    Other than that I take vitamain and mineral supplements and medications.

Thanks for any ideas ; )
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I've just started taking a natural thyroid extract 30mg which is starting to help a little with exhaustion and brain fog - but not a lot. Do anyone know anything about Natural Thyroid Extract from thyroid glands of pigs? The info says it contains 36mcg T4 and 9-10mcg T3 per 60gms.
    Other than that I take vitamain and mineral supplements and medications.

Thanks for any ideas ; )
    I take Natural Thyroid -- called Armour. 30 mg is pretty low dose, but I don't know what your T3 and T4 levels are. I take 120 mg a day and might go up in dose after my next doctor visit.

You should be taking B12, Vitamin D, Vitamin C and Fish Oil minimally. Here's the doses I take every day:

B12 - 250 mg daily
    Vitamin D: 50,000 mg a week
    Vitamin C: 2,000 mg 2x a day
    Fish Oil: 1,200 mg 2x a day
  • moejo3
    Options
    I would cut back the adrenal you will know if you need it. However, sometime the Thyroid meds do tax the adrenals so, keep a bottle handy
  • TXBelle1174
    Options
    I just found out my cortisol levels are too high. My PCP sent me for an abdominal and pelvic ultrasound also. I am waiting for those results and will go back in to see her. I am not sure what to do about the high levels. I always thought they would be low because I am so damn tired all the time. Maybe I am thinking of it in reverse?? I dont know. I am sort of at a road block here.