Sneaker Question

Options
Ok. So I am pretty new to running and I want a new pair of running sneaks...problem is...sales people. I have legit questions and they automatically point me to the 150.00 shoe LOL. Of course they need to go for the sale....but I feel like they don't listen to what I am saying.

I have been looking at a pair of Saucony's for 70.00 bucks...it's totally in my price range. But can someone tell me are they a decent shoe??? lol....

So very lost and confused.

Replies

• EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I went into the shop and asked for help. I then told him I probably wasnt going to buy I wanted advice and I may go back in a few days to buy after I'd been paid. That way he didnt spend the whole time going for the hard sell because I told him in the first place I wasnt buying one today.

He was really helpful and did the analysis thing where they video you running. Yes he had me run in the 2 most expensive pairs to "show me the difference" and I could tell that the more expensive ones were better but for my first pair of running shoes I didnt want to spend a fortune in case I didnt keep it up! He explained the video to me and what type of shoe I need...I then went home and ordered some for half the price online :bigsmile:
  • kaji13
    kaji13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I suggest you find a local shoe store that specializes in running shoes. They will analyze your gait and form and suggest a running shoe based on that, and fit you for it. They won't just go for the priciest pair, they will help you choose a pair that is good for your running style. And I would suggest that if the shoe that works for you is more than you wanted to pay, get it anyway! You'll be glad you did, I promise.
  • derbygurl13
    Options
    Thanks. :o) for the advice
  • wfnugent
    wfnugent Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    DEFINITELY go to a running shop and at least let them look at your arches.

I thought I had normal or flat-ish feet. Turns out I have quite high arches and what I was seeing as I walked across the sand was my arch collapsing to distribute the (now reduced!) load of my body. By going now with the correct shoe type my knees and feet feel much better and my stride is cleaner. (New shoes were my treat-to-me for making it through week 8.)

They can at least tell you what kind of shoe you should consider - good advice that you can take and use online or at another store.
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I went into the shop and asked for help. I then told him I probably wasnt going to buy I wanted advice and I may go back in a few days to buy after I'd been paid. That way he didnt spend the whole time going for the hard sell because I told him in the first place I wasnt buying one today.

He was really helpful and did the analysis thing where they video you running. Yes he had me run in the 2 most expensive pairs to "show me the difference" and I could tell that the more expensive ones were better but for my first pair of running shoes I didnt want to spend a fortune in case I didnt keep it up! He explained the video to me and what type of shoe I need...I then went home and ordered some for half the price online :bigsmile:

Congratulations on getting good advice and finding a shoe that does what you need and fits you properly. Either it will or already has made a huge difference in how you run.

Kinda sucks for the store owner though, he was there when you needed him with all the advice and samples and fitting and then you bailed on him when it came time to compensate him for his efforts.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    My Asics cost $120 and are worth every penny. Buy a shoe based upon how it will benefit you, not based upon cost. Pain and swelling is not worth the money. Plus if you only wear your running shoes for running they will last a long time. I am pretty militant about changing my shoes as soon as I am done running. Take care of your ankles, knees, shins and hips. They will be with you for the rest of your life.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Kinda sucks for the store owner though, he was there when you needed him with all the advice and samples and fitting and then you bailed on him when it came time to compensate him for his efforts.

^^This
  • amcanzo
    amcanzo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Ok. So I am pretty new to running and I want a new pair of running sneaks...problem is...sales people. I have legit questions and they automatically point me to the 150.00 shoe LOL. Of course they need to go for the sale....but I feel like they don't listen to what I am saying.

I have been looking at a pair of Saucony's for 70.00 bucks...it's totally in my price range. But can someone tell me are they a decent shoe??? lol....

So very lost and confused.

I agree - it's probably important to go to a running store -which I have not done yet, but it's on my list....in the meantime..I LOVE my Saucony Ignition 3 running shoes and would most likely stay loyal to the brand :love:
  • domsmoms
    domsmoms Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Sooo... is it a bad idea to be running in less-than-ideal shoes for a few weeks? I just completed week 1 and while I'm into it, I am also concerned about spending a fortune before I know I'm really sticking with this.

I'm running on a treadmill, not sure if that makes any difference since it's a softer surface. Right now I am using the Skechers Shape Ups I bought 6 months ago when I started MFP. Thing is, I wear them a lot, since I try to take short walks at least once a day and I want to have comfy shoes on. When I bought THOSE shoes, I didn't spend a ton because I wasn't even sure I was going to stick with MFP!
  • rciszek
    rciszek Posts: 134
    Options
    I did the same thing, I used the sneakers I had when I started because of issues I had when I attempted before caused too much problems to continue and if they reared their head I wanted to not "waste" the money on a good sneaker. I just recently went to the Nike Outlet and looked at all the running shoes they had. Tried a couple on and have been extremely happy with what I have without spending the tons of money on them. I have had NO injuries or blisters at all and they are really comfortable and make a difference in my running. I'm not saying that going to a specialty store and getting fitted won't help, but I was able to get what I needed without having to spend the extra money.
  • domsmoms
    domsmoms Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing, I used the sneakers I had when I started because of issues I had when I attempted before caused too much problems to continue and if they reared their head I wanted to not "waste" the money on a good sneaker. I just recently went to the Nike Outlet and looked at all the running shoes they had. Tried a couple on and have been extremely happy with what I have without spending the tons of money on them. I have had NO injuries or blisters at all and they are really comfortable and make a difference in my running. I'm not saying that going to a specialty store and getting fitted won't help, but I was able to get what I needed without having to spend the extra money.

Thanks for that advice! I googled Nike outlet and it looks like there is one not too far from me, so maybe I can swing by there soon.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options

Congratulations on getting good advice and finding a shoe that does what you need and fits you properly. Either it will or already has made a huge difference in how you run.

Really does. :( This is why a lot of the running stores by me charge for a gait analysis if you're not buying shoes that day - $30 a pop.