Make my Dinner!

Options
caribougal
caribougal Posts: 865 Member
Ok. I have grass-fed ground beef thawed.

I've been waking up in the middle of the night (1am) every night this week to work on several big projects, and I still have a long road ahead before I finish today. It's only 11am, and my brain is starting to fry. Soooo tired. Forget about sane cortisol levels.

Paleo/Primal friends to the rescue, please. What should I make. I can't think straight, so I'm asking you to think for me.

I have a ton of stuff in the fridge, all uncooked:
ground beef
baby portabellas
asparagus
beets and beet greens
carrots, celery, onions
broccoli (must make that nomnompaleo broccoli again!)
green pepper
sweet potatoes
braising greens
LOTS of tomatoes from CSA that were seconds, so they're super ripe and ready to be dealt with

In freezer, I have a ton of sugar-free bacon ends that can be easily defrosted, and lots of cubes of chicken/lamb bone broth.

I have all the normal spices, plus paleo friendly like red boat fish sauce, coconut aminos, coconut flour, avocado oil, macadamia nut oil, EVOO. I also have a TON of cheeses, feta, and a bunch of random obscure cheeses I bough little chunks of from WF.

Please... create a dinner for me. So family can eat well and then pass out.

Replies

• zellagrrl
    Options
    Portabella mini pizzas. Take your beef, carrots, celery, onions, green pepper and tomatoes and make a meat sauce, fill the portabellas and top with random cheeses.
  • caribougal
    Options
    OH, that sounds yummy, but they're baby bellas... too small to stuff really.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    You could make a version of Swiss steak. Put some carrots, and maybe some of the green pepper, in the food processor and pulverize it, then mix it with the ground beef. Add an egg if your beef is really lean, and make patties. Cook them through, then chop up your carrots and add them to the pan with a little water and cook it down to make a tomato gravy-type stuff. Serve roasted beets and greens on the side.

** I just saw that you have onions too. Caramelize those and put them in when you add the tomatoes. Nom nom.
  • vanessairene
    vanessairene Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I make a ground beef stir fry my husband loves... basically use the ground beef in place of steak or chicken and then use whatever veggies you've got on hand. (we love peppers, cabbage and onion) you've got lots of great stir fry veggies. fry it all up with coconut oil, LOTS of garlic, cracked black pepper, crushed red pepper and ginger... even spicier with a little dash of sriracha chili paste/sauce. I serve it using chopsticks and a small bowl of fresh homemade broth/stock with sliced green onions on top (whatever stock I happen to have made that week.)

Super satisfying, feels like takeout, and is all fresh.
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
  • jenjersnapco
    jenjersnapco Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    One of the many meatza recipes out there? You could make a quick fresh tomato sauce and load up the veggies. I have ground beef defrosting too and I am making this one tonight with homemade roasted salsa and adding extra veggies. http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/01/19/mexican-meatza-ole/
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Yum, you make me hungry.

I am a single mom so I love making things quick.

I would fry the ground beef with some coconut oil, macadamia oil (added near the end), garlic, oregano, basil, coriander, onions, broccoli, green pepper, portabellas, greens (are beet greens mild?), tomatoes, and then parmesan reggiano or asiago. Even a hot pepper could go in there. Maybe a dash of red wine.
  • caribougal
    Options
    Awesome suggestions, guys. Wow... it's feeling less stressful now.

So far, I'm leaning toward meatza. I can make the crust while the boys nap, and give myself a mental work break. Then, the boys can help decorate the meatza with stuff they like. They might be more likely to eat it.

Although, I can see into my future. My 3 year old will be so excited while making the meatza. When it comes to eating it, he'll suddenly realize that, in fact, this means he's not getting pizza, which is is fave. And... 3...2...1... BIG TEARS DRIPPING DOWN CHEEKS!

He freaked out yesterday when he got all excited about smelling bacon cooking, but took one look at the US Wellness sugar-free bacon ends, which look NOTHING like the supermarket crap bacon hubby buys, and burst into tears. "I want the REGULAR BACON that I"M USED TO!!"

sigh.
  • caribougal
    Options
    Ok, meatza tomorrow. Hubby took boys to movies so I ate cantaloupe, prosciutto and a 2 oz of 4 different yummy cheeses. 8:40 and I'm going to sleep!
  • zellagrrl
    Options
    That wins for best dinner idea :)
  • caribougal
    Options
    I finally made my GRAS-fed beef before it went bad. Meat with carrots, celery, onions, garlic, greens, homemade tomato sauce and cheddar stuffed in a Portobello cap. It was damned good but I should have given the meat some spicy heat. Asparagus with pesto. I'm stuffed.