I need help. Please!

Options
Hi everyone,

I really need some help with this. My head space is all messed up since I was recently diagnosed with Binge ED. My doctor didn't do anything for me other than say that I was. He didn't offer me any support other than "eat apples and nuts then come see me again in three months." I don't know what to do, or where to go. I don't know how to deal with this. I find myself binging one day and then starving myself the next because I feel so incredibly guilty. My weight loss has slowed and I don't know what else to do.

Replies

• babecon
    babecon Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Your doctor sounds really unsupportive, how are you feeling about it?
    It's not really the kinda thing that can be fixed with a diagnosis like :/
    Hope you find better support on this!
  • lightheartedangel
    Options
    I'm very upset at him. I called my health insurance and filed a formal complaint and asked for a new doctor. I just got my new card in the mail so I can call to make an appointment. Frankly I'm confused about what I should or shouldn't be doing.
  • babecon
    babecon Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    From looking at other posts on the group other people seem to have way better advice/grasp on this, but feel free to mail me if you're having a ****ty binge day! Sometimes just distracting myself by telling someone I wanna eat an entire jar of nutella works for me :p
  • aklitten
    aklitten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    OMG, an entire jar of Nutella?!?! I threw the one away that I had here at work because I ate almost half of it with a spoon. I feel horrible right now, and I am wearing my fat clothes because it's all I can fit into right now. I have often used a coloring book to occupy my brain during binges and that often works, but I don't want to even do that right now. I am feeling lower than I have in a long, long time...don't know where to turn or what to do. Feeling lost...
  • lightheartedangel
    Options
    I know what you mean. I'm feeling lost too. I told my best friend that I gained a pound and his response was "well you need to work out more and stop binging." I got so mad at him. But I know it's not his fault. He doesn't understand the mental process. That's the other thing that makes this so hard.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Since you do have insurance, check with your insurance and see how many sessions per year they cover in mental health and I recommend you see a therpist in your area who specializes in DBT (Dialectical behavior therapy) and CBT (Cognitive behavioral therapy) with eating disorder patients.

Good job on looking for a new doctor also! A good doctor would have given you some options. Many of them are not aware of the programs out to help with BED and ED. Even so he could have recommended WW or anything than TRY to diagonois BED because if this was a PCP he can not diagonsis BED anyways. Was he a therpist? I hope not because that would be horriable indeed.

Another thing I recommend is reading up on this. There is a lot of imformation on CD's and books regarding emotional eating.

See link below:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/697030-book-list-on-binge-eating-or-related-subjects

Hope this helps.
  • thinjustfabulous
    thinjustfabulous Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    you sounded like me, binge one day then try to starve the day after :(
    the last time I went to a doctor, she told me to eat whatever I want with portion control, get a taste of everything i want, thus I wouldn't want to binge latter on..
    works for couple of weeks...

but i'm weaker again now
  • Smurfette1987
    Smurfette1987 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    If you aren't getting help right now from your doctor, I really recommend "overcoming binge eating" by christopher fairburn while you wait for help and support. It is a guided self help book, step by step and really useful. Plus it has some really good information about the physiological and physchological reasons for binging. It can be hard work at first but it is worth it :)
  • camiah
    camiah Posts: 146
    Options
    If you aren't getting help right now from your doctor, I really recommend "overcoming binge eating" by christopher fairburn while you wait for help and support. It is a guided self help book, step by step and really useful. Plus it has some really good information about the physiological and physchological reasons for binging. It can be hard work at first but it is worth it :)

I second the recommendation for Fairburn's Overcoming Binge Eating. It is a very helpful tool in really drilling down into the behavior. I turn to it often.