Rosh Hashanah Recipes

Options
RonitMig
RonitMig Posts: 30 Member
I am new here (it's my first week), and this year I will not be able to travel to my parents house for the holidays. I will be making a small meal for my husband and myself (he is a big eater). I am looking for a healthier pot roast recipe. I will also be making chicken soup, chopped liver, and a salad. I need some healthier kugel recipes and some dessert recipes. Anyone?

Replies

• bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Welcome and shana tova!

I can't vouch for this, but since latkes and potato kugel are basically the same recipe, and since this works well for latkes, you may want to try switching potato for sweet potato and zucchini in your kugel. As for the pot roast, I'd either switch in favor of roast beef, or I'd look for slow cooker recipes, which might use fewer external juices.

Also, chopped liver is incredibly unhealthy. However it is extremely delicious, so if this is going to be your major treat, or if it's something you only cook on rare occassions, then go for it.

Lastly, since you're new, you may not know about the recipe calculator function. MFP has a recipe calculator that allows you to input your recipe ingredients and how many servings it makes, and it will spit the nutritional values back at you. :)
  • Rory_123
    Rory_123 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Zucchini kugel would be delicious! If you like gefilte fish, it is always light and you can bake it instead of poaching it - much easier and it doesn't smell up the entire house. How about baked apples for dessert?
  • strongandhealthy78
    Options
    L'Shana Tova everyone!
    I am a vegetarian so I found this recipe for mock chopped liver and totally want to try it! In the comments, people give alternative suggestions for making the recipe even more low fat. http://theshiksa.com/2012/07/26/aunt-bevs-vegetarian-chopped-liver/ All my best, Abi