Daily Food diary.....how can I convert it to Keto??

Options
I am now this week at trying keto. My daily Food intake diary doesn't seem to 'fit' the percentages that I have been reading about ketosis. ( i.e. 60%/35%/5% ). I am not a math wiz....how can I convert the numbers I see on my daily diary to make it Keto friendly?

Replies

• norabolt
    Options
    Under the "My Home" tab, click on "Goals."

Use the custom option rather than the 'guided' one. Change the percentages to 60%, 35%, 5%.

Now, on Keto, you don't want to limit your carbs-from-fiber. So if a food item has 10 units of carbs, but 9 of fiber, then only 1 carb should count towards your daily limit. I use this plugin: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/124645

With the plug-in installed, and if you've set your fitnesspal to track carbs and fiber, you'll have another column displaying "net carbs" (the ones you want to limit). You can then disregard the "Carbs" column and focus only on tracking the Net-carbs one when it comes to limiting carb intake.
  • mjclark11
    Options
    Along with the whole fiber thing that they^ were saying when you search for a food you can also search by net carbs it's way easier that way. If you don't know net carbs is amount of carbs-fiber=net carbs. Hope this helps!! Good luck!
  • Bill_from_Philly
    Options
    Also, the 1st few weeks don't worry about macros or calorie amounts. Worry about eating the right things and getting used to Keto. Don't look at Keto as a diet but rather as a new lifestyle. Eat when hungry, don't eat when full, and always drink alot of water.
  • 56waukazoo_KD
    Options
    Thanks everyone....all the comments really are helpful :flowerforyou: Not sure how to "plug in" @ nonomello? I'll get the hang of this!
  • norabolt
    Options
    Well you can always just look at the carbs and fiber and subtract it manually, or only log foods that are set to "net carbs."

If you want to install the plugin, copy the link into your browser, and click the "install" button in the upper right hand corner. Follow whatever steps your browser asks you to, and the plugin should be added to your browser. It'll take the info from your myfitnesspal page and display another column for you!
  • MetilHed
    MetilHed Posts: 101 Member
    Options

Use the custom option rather than the 'guided' one. Change the percentages to 60%, 35%, 5%.

Now, on Keto, you don't want to limit your carbs-from-fiber. So if a food item has 10 units of carbs, but 9 of fiber, then only 1 carb should count towards your daily limit. I use this plugin: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/124645

With the plug-in installed, and if you've set your fitnesspal to track carbs and fiber, you'll have another column displaying "net carbs" (the ones you want to limit). You can then disregard the "Carbs" column and focus only on tracking the Net-carbs one when it comes to limiting carb intake.

Thanks for the heads up on the Greasemonkey script ! Very handy.
  • norabolt
    Options
    Glad it's useful to you! I love it. However, be careful not to use any MFP entries that have "net carbs" pre-calculated. The script will freak out a bit and report "Bad data!"
  • MetilHed
    MetilHed Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I haven't used those at all, right from the beginning, I just added the fiber tracking column and did it myself. I like the %'s the script adds too.
  • alexstosic
    alexstosic Posts: 11 Member
    Options

that's awesome, if only it could work for the iphone app...
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    If you haven't already check out the Body Media Fit Link. I just added it to my regime and it has been great for keeping track of caloric expenditure and tracking activity. I have been loving how it integrates with MFP and now that I have my %s set where I want them to be it is sooooo nice. I can even see the quality of sleep I am getting...critical to weight loss success.

BM Fit Link Site for more information
    http://bodymedia.extole.com/a/clk/3zg1RB
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options

Very useful thanks!
  • ElanaBr
    ElanaBr Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Also there are plug-ins for chrome to make your diary show Net Carbs.