Total Carbs eaten?

Options
bbatye
bbatye Posts: 10 Member
So I have read that a lot of people try to keep their carbs under 100 grams. My goal was just to keep it at under thirty percent of my calories. Although I have been looking at my diary and I see that I had 108 carbs yesterday but 21 grams of fiber. Does that mean I really had 87 net carbs and that would mean I am actually following the induction phase of Atkins?

Is net what matters or is it total?

Replies

• my_bleu
    my_bleu Posts: 12
    Options
    Net is what matters. For Atkins induction, they recommend no more than 20 grams of net carbs per day. 100 is a bunch, you will not go anywhere near ketosis with those numbers.
  • MetilHed
    MetilHed Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Net is what matters. For Atkins induction, they recommend no more than 20 grams of net carbs per day. 100 is a bunch, you will not go anywhere near ketosis with those numbers.

^^^ This ^^^
  • bbatye
    bbatye Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I certainly don't want to get down to 20. I was just hoping to lower it from the WAY to high amount I was eating before.
  • Mindywv2003
    Mindywv2003 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I try to keep mine at 30 or below...used to keep it between 9-15 a day when I was obsessed with Atkins several years ago.... nottttttttttttt the way to go :noway:
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i don't understand why you wouldn't want ketosis.
    it is so beneficial.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    Depending on activity level, some people can reach ketosis between 50 to 80 carbs a day (although I'm not sure if that is total or net). For my first six weeks, I had been concentrating on keeping net carbs under 100. Now for the next six weeks (I need small goals) I am going to concentrate on keeping my TOTAL carbs around 80, which will put my NET around 50 to 55 and see what happens. Any lower than 50 and my body doesn't function (I lift weights and run regularly).
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I try to keep mine at 30 or below...used to keep it between 9-15 a day when I was obsessed with Atkins several years ago.... nottttttttttttt the way to go :noway:

Why not, though?
  • aprueitt
    aprueitt Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I keep mine between 100-135. I have lost 29 pounds, it has been slow (5 months) but it is working for me.
    My friend keeps her at 150 and has last 90lbs.
  • MaraDiaz
    Options
    I just realized that since I went low carb (below 30 and usually below 20 a day) I have lost a lot more weight than I was when I was just counting calories. My progress chart since I started 10 months ago shows a huge change from weight loss speed before I started cutting out bread (the first step I took, back in June), to when I started Atkins (mid June).

Before that, I had weeks of stalls and months where I only lost a pound or two. Low carb can be a bit annoying sometimes (even cheese was starting to stall me out, and I love cheese!), but it works for me and I get cravings much less often than before.
  • likeswhiskey
    Options
    If you're eating more than 20 grams of carbs, you're NOT doing the induction phase of Atkins. Just sayin'.

http://www.atkins.com/Program/Phase-1.aspx
  • Mindywv2003
    Mindywv2003 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    sorry been offline for a while .......

keeping them that low ended me up in the ER with severe kidney stones, as the 2 Dr's told me..
    when asked how many carbs and what protein I was eating I told them the truth and 1 Dr. just walked out... he would not treat me so the other one took over and explained the danger to kidneys while doing Atkins....he said no one should ever stay below 18-20 a day
    totally baffled me..never had kidney issues ever and after that I uped my carbs to 20-25 I never had another issue

I lost 67lbs in less than 3 1/2 months...way too fast
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    net is what matters.
  • praxisproject
    praxisproject Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Atkins Induction is 20 net carbs (15 from vegetables), you shouldn't be below that at all.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    And, just to add something for the record, Dr. Atkins did not count NET carbs, but total. It's the new Atkins Institute that changed the plan to net carbs, in large part to make the program more palatable for the general population who found original Atkins too difficult. It also helps encourage fiber intake, in addition to the vege recommendation of 12-15 grams (total) per day in Induction.

To each his own. Whatever works for you is what you should follow, and finding that sweet spot just takes time and patience.
  • MaraDiaz
    Options

I'm now trying to stay around that, too. It keeps me in ketosis without being crazy strict.
  • CharlieLopez2005
    Options
    When I want to lose weight (especially as stored body fat), I keep my net carbs down to 20g or less. In maintenance now, I'm up to about 40g net carbs. Mileage may vary with this as each person is different.