Buy heavier for PUSH

Options
flslp87
flslp87 Posts: 175 Member
Starting push next week and heaviest weight I have are 15.....Should I go buy a bit heavier before I start the circuit.....

what has been your experience

Replies

• Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I think you'll definitely need heavier for the leg work. I went up to 35 pounds for legs but that was only for one move and used 20-25 pounds for the others.
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I wasn't able to buy any more weights (budget restraints) during push. My heaviest was 20lb dumbells and I really needed at least 35lb dumbells. So instead I concentrated on deepening my squats, and I added a little extra leg work in my other workouts. If you can afford weights I'd definitely invest.
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I have adjustable weights that go to 25lbs. I needed the 25lbs for several of the leg moves. I would definitely purchase heavier weights, if you are able to do so.
  • missdimpley
    Options
    Yes. That is why I got Bowflex ones that goes up to 52.5. it is my 2nd round of chalean exreme.. for first round, I only go up to 25.. I just finished burn phase. I go up to 30-35 (35 for last one today for squats). so push I am determined to fail by 6-7 and whenever I reach 8, I increase heavy weights for better results. :)
  • flslp87
    Options
    Wow, guess I'll go shopping and see how much. Last time I shopped at Target for 10 and 12's and lucked out as they were on sale...

hindsight the adjustable would have been smart but most of mine I've had for a few years so....

35lbs...wow,that seems like a lot of weight....
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Agreeing w/this...I started Push this week, and am using 20s on some of the leg exercises and am a contemplating higher--think I'll wait a week or 2 because I just invested in the 20s, and they were pricey...
  • lashwish
    Options
    The highest I used was 27.5, I probably could have gone higher for sumo squats.
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    The heaviest weights I have are 24lb. Does PUSH use compound moves, like in BURN? I can't imagine doing compound exercises with 35lb dumbbells.
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    You can start off with what you have and see how it goes. I progressed quickly in the Push phase so I was able to get to 35-lbs on some of the moves, esp the leg ones.
  • Robin1117
    Options
    You can start off with what you have and see how it goes. I progressed quickly in the Push phase so I was able to get to 35-lbs on some of the moves, esp the leg ones.
    '

oh wow, great news...but I'm growing broke on getting heavier weights. I have been buying them at amazon and target but as I look at 25s, they are getting expensive. Wish I got those selectible ones to begin with, but now it's too late because I already have a bunch of them. How are all of you doing this--buying as needed as well? Any tips on best places to buy?
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I just happened to luck out that my husband had bought a PowerBlock set awhile back. So I've just been using that and it allows me to go heavier as I progress.
  • chojolitos
    Options
    Starting push next week and heaviest weight I have are 15.....Should I go buy a bit heavier before I start the circuit.....

what has been your experience
    I'm in my 4 week of push I used 10, 15, 20 , 25 lbs

Yeah you will need heavier weights for the lower body :mad:
  • flslp87
    Options
    Well I did it. I pulled out the clunky weights last night and put together 2 20's and boy they are so awkward that I just went and bought 20lb weights today.....I'll use those for 25's maybe.....boy this can be pricey...
  • lashwish
    Options
    The heaviest weights I have are 24lb. Does PUSH use compound moves, like in BURN? I can't imagine doing compound exercises with 35lb dumbbells.

No, push is just single move of whatever muscle. I got used to it so Lean is killing me!
  • Robin1117
    Options

No, push is just single move of whatever muscle. I got used to it so Lean is killing me!

Oh wow, I can't wait to start lean and see what it's all about!
    But I still have 2 1/2 weeks to go on Push....
    '
    SO I may go to Target today and check out the weights. My highest weight is 20lbs, so for the legs, I'm contemplating, do I go to 25, or do I get 30s? I'm assuming these will be the last weights I"m going to buy for this program because I can't imagine spending any more $$. Are 30s just wishful thinking, am I going to regret this? Or am I going to max out on 25s in the next few weeks and wish I went higher? Hmmmm....
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options

Oh wow, I can't wait to start lean and see what it's all about!
    But I still have 2 1/2 weeks to go on Push....
    '
    SO I may go to Target today and check out the weights. My highest weight is 20lbs, so for the legs, I'm contemplating, do I go to 25, or do I get 30s? I'm assuming these will be the last weights I"m going to buy for this program because I can't imagine spending any more $$. Are 30s just wishful thinking, am I going to regret this? Or am I going to max out on 25s in the next few weeks and wish I went higher? Hmmmm....

If you have reasonably strong legs, get heavier. I only had 20lbs for my heaviest weights but I have pretty good strength/endurance in my legs and seriously needed at least 35lbs for some of the push moves. I actually bit the bullet and just ordered some bowflex adjustable ones (the ones that go up to 50lbs) I figure beyond 50 lbs, I'll get a used Olympic bar and weights (but that will be for a different program such as STS or NROL4W). However, bowflex is very expensive so you may want to invest in a pair of used adjustable weights with various plates even. You can find those cheaper.