When does the pain go away ;) (doms)

Options
I am pretty fit (or so I thought), and used to working out 5-7 times a week. Lifting, some cardio, heavy bag kickboxing. I have been having a hard time putting on muscle, so I am trying crossfit. I am or course hooked and disappointed every time I can't RX (which is 90% of the time).

Doing 3x a week and I am so sore. I enter class with a sore body part from the previous class. Then I have a new sore body part just as the other one is feeling good again. While I'm still able to workout, my performance is hindered because I can't go all out.

It's sick, but I love the feeling of DOMS in that I know I'm doing my body good. It isn't so bad that I can't wash my hair or am unable to workout - but a constant "hello" kind of pain. Been doing this for about a month and the soreness just keeps rotating from body part to body part.

After a month I would have thought my body would not be such a wuss?

Replies

• XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Nah, I don't think it ever goes away ;o), especially for the 40+ group :laugh:
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. At least I know It isn't just me.
    I told the coaches, I was in shape before I came here - you guys broke me. They said that is what they are paid to do - and thanks for the compliment. ugh.
  • jenaissance
    jenaissance Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    as far as I can tell it never goes away! some part of me has been sore every day for 6 months now. And I love it :happy:
  • Tsoper
    Tsoper Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think that is the beauty of Crossfit, constant challenge! I don't think that I ever want the pain to go away. I may have a week or two soreness free, but then I try to push myself to lift more or to go faster & that means a sore next couple of days. :)
  • DJStewie
    DJStewie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    2 years in and I still get sore, it never goes away :drinker:
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I get worried if I'm not sore because it means I could have pushed myself harder.
  • Talialala
    Talialala Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    What everyone said. I feel like I cheated myself if I'm not in pain. PAIN IS PLEASURE! :) Or at least tell yourself that :)
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    the pain/soreness never goes away, but after the first couple months it got easier to work through the pain. My first couple times at Crossfit, I couldn't even lift my arms to brush my teeth. Now, I'm sore but I can function. I used to never think I could go 3-5 days in a row, but now I can.

It never stops hurting, but you get used to it!
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I think that is the beauty of Crossfit, constant challenge! I don't think that I ever want the pain to go away. I may have a week or two soreness free, but then I try to push myself to lift more or to go faster & that means a sore next couple of days. :)

i don't get it. you can't push yourself to lift more or go faster without crossfit?
  • nil8r
    nil8r Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Crossfit is that constant reminder of muscles you never knew existed. :)
  • chsmith79
    chsmith79 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I agree^^^
  • gettnfit
    Options
    The pain for me almost never go away. As I train I find my self getting stronger adding more weight and moving faster. It continues to challenge my body everyday. Just embrace the pain lol.
  • 300poundsdown
    Options
    I go 5 days a week and depending on what the WODs are that week I may be more sore than usual or less sore than usual. However, I'm never not sore. I had a really bad week last month where I felt a little bit like crying every day. I was so sore I could barely lift my arms. That was the worst week yet. Overall, I've discovered that I'm just always sore but I'm used to it now!