Finished First Century - Hotter N Hell

Options
cyclingben
cyclingben Posts: 346 Member
Figured i would post about my experience a couple of weeks ago at the Hotter N Hell 100.

A little about me is i started cycling @ 420 lbs June 2011. In September last year i rode 48 miles on my Trek Hybrid in the cow town classic. In May 2012 i rode the MS150 - Dallas and finally August i got to enjoy completing my first century. Ride time was 6 hrs 15 Mins total time was 6:59 i placed 1667 out of 3710. There was around 13,000 riders that went to Wichita Falls Texas to enjoy the Texas Heat.

In all it was a good ride. I rode the first 45 miles with out a rest stop. Then from there i stopped every 10 miles for water refills. The last 15 miles were absolutely brutal for everyone. we had 20-30 mph headwinds. They sent us through the air force base which was really cool.

Here's some photos i took:

7860535422_04d0a835ed.jpg

7860531792_49b3159a2e.jpg

7860559258_268ff272a5.jpg

7860542488_09881349e4.jpg

7860554636_120d903504.jpg

Cant wait to beat my time next year.

Replies

• Gapwedge01
    Options
    Great accomplishment!
  • Yahweh1
    Yahweh1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Well done.
  • thekarens
    thekarens Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Congrats, that's fantastic!
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    First off congratulations! That is an awesome achievement and a great time to do it in too! :smile:

Wouldn't mind a bit of that sunshine if you've got some going spare?! :wink:
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't mind a bit of that sunshine if you've got some going spare?! :wink:

Indeed! bloody freezing here this morning!

Awesome ride; really well done!
  • Stinkeymonkey
    Stinkeymonkey Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your first century!

I did a two day century over the weekend and it was a blast. Isn't riding your bike just the best ever? :)
  • ferb03
    Options
    You da man! You da AWESOME man!!
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, that's fantastic well done!! I've done a metric century but that's as far as I've got so far....maybe when I trade my hybrid in for a proper road bike I'll go for the imperial century!!

The photos look brilliant, lovely blue skies - but 20-30mph headwinds in your last few miles must have been really tough - well done for completing it. I'm sure you'll smash your time out of the water next year too!
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    awesome, congrats on finishing..... I'm doing a 70 mile ride in a few weeks, not quite up to a century ride yet
  • beachgrad05
    beachgrad05 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I haven't logged onto MyFitnessPal in a while. Busy.

Congrats! That sounds like a tough ride! Good job!!!
  • johnny059qn
    johnny059qn Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    You are my hero!! I am not ready for the century ride yet, but I plan to do it next year at the HHH. I rode the 50 which was 53 on my computer. That wind was tough!!!

I am going to ride 60 miles in Waco on the 22nd. I rode the Duncan Dehydrator, Vernon Burnin' then the HHH. I have four more rides through Thanksgiving.

I ride to work and home every day now. It is only 12 miles one way, but I get a lot of miles logged. I save the big rides for Saturdays.

I work at Sheppard AFB. It is my favorite part of the HHH ride. The airmen lined up cheering gives me chills.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Well done, in terms of both the ride and your weight loss!
  • RiotMTB
    RiotMTB Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Very nice!!! Great accomplishment!! Be careful...it is addicting...you are already fired up to beat your time next year!! :)
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Amazing!
  • ferb03
    Options
    You are my hero!! I am not ready for the century ride yet, but I plan to do it next year at the HHH. I rode the 50 which was 53 on my computer. That wind was tough!!!

I am going to ride 60 miles in Waco on the 22nd. I rode the Duncan Dehydrator, Vernon Burnin' then the HHH. I have four more rides through Thanksgiving.

I ride to work and home every day now. It is only 12 miles one way, but I get a lot of miles logged. I save the big rides for Saturdays.

I work at Sheppard AFB. It is my favorite part of the HHH ride. The airmen lined up cheering gives me chills.
    Johnny what is the HHH?
  • Mac247
    Options
    Johnny what is the HHH?

I'm thinkin' it's "Hotter n Hell Hundred"

Mac
  • ferb03
    Options
    Yep, makes sense! I was think of the Hancock Horizontal Hundred in Ohio and was totally confused:)
  • sherwinnelson
    sherwinnelson Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    That is just awesome. Great job on the ride and on the weight loss. I look forward to completing my first century next year. You have me pumped! Thank you so much for sharing.