Hi- New from Michigan

Options
Hello! I am so happy to have found this group and have been reading through some of your previous posts. What a great group of women! I am 47 and the mom of two active boys, ages 11 and 7. I have been overweight pretty much all my life, gradually gaining since my late twenties-- but when PM hit me about six months ago I got so much worse. I gained another 30 lbs around my middle, hot flashes, insomnia and fatigue set in, so any exercise I was able to get just stopped. Going through this while trying to be a good mom to my boys is really challenging. I have 80 lbs to lose and I am determined to do it. I am tired of being this fat and frankly, of being this tired all the time. I spent the last 2 weeks preparing by eliminating all grains and refined sugar from my diet. I am on day 2 of Atkins. I am a carb addict for sure and insulin resistant to boot so I have a real battle ahead of me. (I miss fruit). I can use all the support I can get. I would love to offer mine as well.

Replies

• BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    WELCOME, just wanted to say, i LOVE the mitten state! I have lived all over, mostly around coastlines of USA, and i love Lake Michigan, and Manistee Forest, and the U.P.

lucky woman to be so close to Lake Michgan and all those breathtaking forests......

oh yeah, and hang in there, you can do it, that mental pause does pass by, sooner or later!!
  • masirahmo
    masirahmo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Welcome to the group. It certainly does help to know that you're not alone! I'm about the same - need to lose 70lbs, and about to start New Atkins in the next few weeks so it would be great to hear how you are doing on it, any ideas or views etc. No point in starting right now as I have visitors arriving soon for a 3 week visit - bound to fall by the wayside!! Also suffering badly with hot flashes, insomnia, fatigue and joint pain so feel free to add me if you feel like a good moan!!

Whatever did we do before the internet??
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    WELCOME!
    If either of you find atkins "too strict" or too...something, consider the new/revised south beach diet. I've never done it, but I did read the revised book to get some new glycemic load ideas and to see what he said about exercise. It sure seems doable, and when I think about it, I really AM eating "phase three" of his book (plus corn tortillas).
  • rltmom
    Options
    Thanks, I am finding Atkins different, but definitely do-able for now. I am going to stick with it for at least a month and see how I do.
  • diztimetoshine
    diztimetoshine Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You sound just like me except my 2 boys are adults now... Hang in there, friend me if you'd like. I also have 70-80lbs to lose... We can all do it with a great support group...
  • Summersadiva
    Summersadiva Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Welcome fellow Michigander! Well, I was until I moved to Texas 4 years ago. I also have two boys - they're 24 and 22 now. You're definitely not alone. Hot flashes and night sweats are my problem.

The support here has been wonderful.