Calling All Cathletes

Options
KarenJanine
KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
Hello

So I'm thinking about adding to my ever-expanding home gym and investing in some Cathe so I'm looking for recommendations and have a couple of questions.

Firstly, I live in an apartment so I can't really do too many workouts at home that involve lots of jumping around for fear of annoying the nice elderly lady who lives below me (I try to be a good neighbour!) so I'm looking for something with slower moves and more controlled strength work.

Secondly, is there any additional equipment I would need? I have a pull-up bar, good resistance bands of various strengths, dumbells up to around 12 kg (26 lb) and barbell up to around 40 kg (88 lb).

So if anyone has any suggestions of what might be good for me to try please let me know. TIA.

Replies

• AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue of not being able to jump around - for one, I don't like it, and second, my daughter's bedroom is right below my workout area, and at 4am, she is sleeping :-)

I have and love Cathe's Muscle Max, Gym Style Series (all 3 DVDs) and Slow & Heavy. All of these have no jumping of any kind, and are all just strength training.

Sounds like you have all the equipment you need - I have dumbells up to 25# , a barbell with up to 100# (but only use up to 60# so far..), resistance bands and a step (for laying on only in these DVDs). *You will need a bench or step*

I do all of my workouts from home and have had great success with these - I have only been lifting heavy for about 3 or 4 months, but am loving it!
  • KarenJanine
    Options
    Thanks you, that's very helpful :flowerforyou:
  • RushBabe214
    RushBabe214 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Yes, what AnitraSoto said! She's responsible for getting me hooked on Cathe Friedrich. :)

I haven't lifted heavy in years and I forgot how quickly I notice changes in my body. You're going to love working out with her. Have fun! :-)
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I agree with AnitraSoto as well...She has the 3 Dvd's that I definitely want - I started yesterday with Muscle Max and I love it!!! I was doing ChaLean Extreme but I like Cathe way better now. I can't wait to lift again tomorrow. Good luck to you!! :happy:
  • bsinno
    bsinno Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    "Afterburn" is a good video with lots of different premixes and only requires a 10-15 Lbs. hand weight, paper plates and dixie cup (i use votive candles!)its low impact so there is no jumping :)
  • 202685tracy
    202685tracy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Her whole low impact series is minimal jumping and only hand weights.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I LOVE CATHE...we are her affiliates too. If you guys need any dvds stop by www.eatmore2weighless.com and help support the site by clicking on her download link or in the Shop we have her dvds too.

We are starting up the STS program on Oct 1st. On the forum we will be logging and posting pics, so hope you guys join us...just hit the Forum button. The STS thread will be up soon.
    Lucia
  • Kmsnomaha
    Kmsnomaha Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    bump for later reading! Cathe has me intrigued and interested.
  • trishadams
    trishadams Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Agree with all the recommendations so far. For strength, Slow & Heavy or Gym Styles would be my first choice. Muscle Max is a great introduction to Cathe, but uses more moderate weight (of course you can choose heavier weight and do less reps). You have all the equipment (except maybe some bands), but whether you would need to increase the pounds will depend on where you're starting from and how quickly you progress. Good luck!
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Slow and Heavy...is that a series or just the one DVD?
  • tbellamy1
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE CATHE!!! and just as everyone else said Muscle Max is a great start. My wish list is still pretty long but Ive done pyramids, muscle max and gym style legs and there is no jumping. And all you equipment is good. I dont have a standard step so I just lay on the floor. A stability ball is needed for pyramids,but she shows you how to do the moves without one.
  • KarenJanine
    Options
    Thank you all, brilliant advice everyone. There are so many DVDs on offer I didn't know where to start so now I've got a good idea :)
  • trishadams
    trishadams Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Slow and Heavy...is that a series or just the one DVD?

Hi - It's a single DVD containing 3 workouts...legs & shoulders, chest & back, tris & bis.
  • MichelleRenee13
    Options
    Sweet.. I think I may get Slow and Heavy Series. It is an hour per workout? I can't seem to find the info online. It could be that I am just loopy from zero sleep and can't comprehend anything, atm! :yawn: :laugh:
  • jaeone
    jaeone Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Yes agree with Muscle max. I like how you can mix and match on Cathe Workouts. I have To the Max ( was going to send it back but never did!!) It has alot of step, and jumping. I still havent done it yet!! Looking forward to doing STS in October and I would like to order Slow and Heavy series also.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I have Muscle Max as well as Slow and Heavy and I absolutely love Slow And Heavy. All three workouts are about an hour long.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Hmmm Im thinking I might have to take a look at the downloadable ones and put them on my phone so I can take it to the gym with me. I need something new to do after NROL
  • MichelleRenee13
    Options
    How do you use the Slow and Heavy series? Do total body twice a week?
  • MichelleRenee13
    Options
    Ok, 3 different workouts approximately an hour each....DUH!

Do most folks just do each workout once a week and then add cardio the other 2 days?
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to do these workouts at the gym?