how are you finding it?

Options
Hi all,

So i have Crohn's disease and have done for nearly 11 years now. I was wondering how you find losing weight with a stomach/bowel condition?

The calorie reduciton isn't a problem as there isn't much i can actaully eat, and i am exercising 3 times a week for (at the moment) 40 minutes. i feel like i should eb doign more but i am so tired all the time i am struggling. Anyone feel teh same or got any ideas on how to feel a bit more awake??

Replies

• SheilaN1976
    SheilaN1976 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    i had gallbladder surgery on March 1st this year...and since surgery i gained 20 lbs! without changing my diet habits or exercise habits...reason why im on here now! ever since surgery i have had issues with digestive issues with everything i eat. although i do have to say, since starting MFP and working out...it has gotten better :) *knocks on wood*
  • lynneb108
    Options
    Hi,

New here and really happy to find this group. I've also had Crohn's for roughly 10 years now and find dieting difficult. My flare up food is all the white processed, east to digest crud you are NOT supposed to eat to lose weight. There seems to be a fine line as far as what I can get away with fiber-wise but I never know where it is until it is too late.

My experience with dieting with Crohn's has been on and off, always doing well until I flare up, which I believe the diet is causing, so I'm hoping to find a way to avoid that. Also, with chronic pain, the exercise is difficult, but I am pushing through it, and have been exercising successfully for several weeks. Now it's time to fix the diet part, as I am not losing much but feel my muscles getting stronger.
  • mlytle88
    mlytle88 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Lynn and Dee,

I just joined this group. I have been diagnosed with Crohns in 2002 and had an iliectomy in 2004 due to a perforation. It seems when I start a new diet or clean diet routine, I have a flare. Apples are the worst!! I will be 40 in July 2013 and am about 30 pounds from where I would like to be.

Hoping to get some support and motivation. I am pretty active and eat relatively healthy. My weakness is before bed snacking and a disorganized hectic life!

Look forward to future posts!

M
  • Kallie3000
    Kallie3000 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have constant, chronic IBS which pretty much means I can't eat a lot of raw vegetables, romaine lettuce, NO broccoli or cabbage, not too many whole grains or high fiber foods, or anything else that irritates my stomach more than usual. Whenever I start to diet I usually go overboard and eat tons of salads and vegies, which makes me completely sick and then I get discouraged.

This time I am trying to steam or cook as many vegetables as I can to make it easier to digest, eating lots of yogurt (I can have gluten and dairy) and lots of easy to digest lean protiens (ground beef, chicken and fish, none or little pork or steak).

I have definitely found it hard dieting with IBS, but it can be done! I am back at the weight battle after losing 70 lbs in high school. I gained about 50 lbs back after about ten years (marriage, work and stress can do that to you, amirite?). I would love to talk to other sufferers about how they have dealt with eating healthy, when all you want to do to calm your stomach down is have some white, fluffy foods and go to sleep!

Exercise has been tough too - it is hard to go jogging outside when there aren't bathrooms nearby. Even in the gym, sometimes going to the bathroom means actually leaving the gym, or going to a different floor. Team sports means the same problem - what do you say when you have to leave the field because of your guts?

Look forward to meeting people on here! -Kallie
  • Tisch1985
    Tisch1985 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have colitus found out 7 years ago and the past month is has acted up bad! Just when i started eating diffrent (gluten free, lots of veggies and water) to lose weight. The good part i lost weight and not eating gluten stoped the itch that i had when i went to sleep. The bad part no that my bowels are healing again the weight is coming back!

I realy get discouraged by that and the thing that makes my stomach kalm down are fries realy not the best thing to eat!
    I'm doing the C25K program witch i REALY like but i'm hopen to find a good "diet' so that i can still eat healthy and so my stomach won't get upset.

if you want you can add as a friend

Tisch

I'm Dutch so sorry if my english sucks
  • lynneb108
    Options
    I think you are right about cooking the vegis. I think the raw produce may be my downfall because it is difficult to chew enough to break down that fiber. I do find peeling apples to be helpful. But because I can tolerate some, I never know how much to push it. I am trying soups now because that cooks the vegis well but hopefully keeps the nutrients in the broth. At least that's my theory but I hope it works. I really like soup.
  • lynneb108
    Options
    They don't always tell you that you may still have issues after gallbladder surgery. I did, but then it turned out that my crohn's disease symptoms were mimicking the gallbladder pain and/or happening at the same time. Not sure how often that happens but hopefully not very much.
  • lynneb108
    Options
    Have you tried applesauce or just peeling apples? That seems to help me, but my CD is in my large intestine. May be ulcerative colitis, they aren't sure. I've had scopes that appeared to be both at different times. Lucky me.

In trying to survive I've eaten the worst stuff (poptarts became a staple for me).. I know I need to find a way to get better nutrition in my diet. And lose weight.
  • deeosborn
    deeosborn Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I know where you are all coming from. I was diagnosed in 2002 also. I find so much sets off my Crohs - alcohol, spicy food, most dairy, fatty foods, red meat to name but a few. My diet at the moment is rather mundane:

Breakfast = porridge
    Lunch = rice and veg
    dinner = fish, rice and veg
    snacks = apple and nectarine

I find i get low blood sugar sometiems and have to have something sweet about 3 times a week, which is bad for the Crohns and the diet but what can you do?!

You should really peel all fruit skins and not eat potato skins with Crohns because they cannot be digested, they jsut roll up into little balls and aggrevate you as they go through your system.

I am having my top wisdom teeth out next weekend and my doctor told me the antibiotics the dentist will give me will more than likely cause a flare up -oh brilliant!!

I hoep you guys know you shouldn't take anti-inflammatories with Crohns either - onyl paracetamol or codine based pain releif, no ibuprofen, nurofen etc (i didn't knwo this until last year!!)
  • lynneb108
    Options
    Be sure to take a probiotic or at least eat yogurt to replenish the good bacteria that gets killed by the antibiotic. I can't say that I've ever had a flareup after taking antibiotics so maybe you will be okay. Good luck with the wisdom teeth removal.