Options
itamd1970
itamd1970 Posts: 17 Member
Curious to know what life with the sleeve is like
g

Replies

• free2live72003
    Options
    I did the RNY in Nov. 2010, but my good friend did the sleeve in Nov. 2010.

She lost all of her extra weight (weighed 215, now approx. 145) before her 1st year surgery anniversary.

She eats most anything she wants, but in very small portions. She has had no comlications.

She finds it easier to eat larger portions in the morning, mine is the opposite in that I can't eat much in the mornings.

Her labwork has been fine with the exception of a low Vit D which many non-WLS women in America have.

She states she would do it all again.

Hope this helps a little!
  • itamd1970
    itamd1970 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you. It helps a lot. What does small portion mean really?
  • free2live72003
    Options
    Just a few tablespoons of food at any one sitting (1/3 hamburger, or 1/4 quesadilla, or one egg and 1/2 a toast, etc.)

Eats approx. 6 times a day.
  • dine68
    dine68 Posts: 3
    Options
    I had the gastric sleeve last Dec/2011. It's been a little over three months and I am happy with my decision. I eat anything I want but in very small portions.
  • blindjustice
    Options
    I had my sleeve done on Dec 21, 2011. Best decision I ever made! My ticker shows my weight loss since I started getting serious about losing weight on Oct 3, 2011. I have lost 55lbs since surgery. I still have trouble with some foods, but overall it's been great. I lose about 3-4 lbs a week. My surgery was a breeze. I had no pain or complications. I would suggest it to anyone who is morbidly obese like I was. It's a great tool, but still requires work. I hope to get to my goal weight of 170lbs by Nov 21, 2012.

Good Luck if you make this decision...
  • vmudgett
    vmudgett Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I had my sleeve done December 21st also. I had some complications, but have recovered well. I have lost about 65 pounds so far. I also still have trouble with some foods like steak or chicken, the trick is to eat very small bites and chew well. I agree it is a tool and requires you to be committed to a new and different lifestyle. My goal is to get to 130 pounds by the end of the year. Good luck!
  • lisalady1
    lisalady1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had my sleeve done August 21st. It's been great, the surgery was very easy. i eat about a third cup of food at a time. it was quarter cup at the beginning and even that was rough to get down, it's only about 600 calories a day. I get 60-80 grams of protein and at least 48 oz of liquids. I'm on mushy food right now. it's much better than the pureed foods.

I did this because of diabetes. I'm off all insulin, blood pressure and cholesterol meds and i'm only taking 1 metformin instead of 4 a day. It's been the best thing I could have done.
  • Jennis0212
    Jennis0212 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I recently had the sleeve August 7, 2012. So far I am down 26 pounds and I havent had any complications. I am happy with my decision.
  • tvaddict101
    tvaddict101 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I had my sleeve 2 1/2 years ago - awesome, best decision ever. Obviously, since I'm on a fitness/calorie counting website, my diet still needs to be monitored, but it's much, much easier to keep under control.
    I have lost all my excess weight and have a normal BMI, but it's at the high end and I just want to lose another 5-10 pounds now (which is hard - the first 6-12 mths are definitely the "honeymoon" period everyone tells you they are).
    I did no exercise (bad, apparently!) and still drank alcohol at dinners out and on weekends etc (although it does have different effects than before, so be cautious here).

I now eat a small appetiser-sized portion for each meal - about 3/4-1 cup of food, meat/protein first. I still can't tolerate potatoes/pumpkin/soft bread/pasta/rice etc , I find water quite hard to drink in the morning (easier later in the day, and fine if it's hot - weird!). Crackers, flaky pastry, hard tacos and cake/cookies are too easy to eat, so I try to avoid those. Sometimes with really sugary things, I get dizzy afterwards, I think a bit like what the bypass people get with dumping syndrome. Good for helping to avoid sweets!

I'd do it all again in a heartbeat. Hope that helps - good luck with your decision.