Strength Training for a Canoe Paddler

Options
Hey Steve,
I've come across several of your posts and find your fundamentals similar to my own goals. So I figure this is a good spot to get some advice.

I have been training competitively pretty much year round for Outrigger Canoe races in sprints (500m-1500m) and long distance (10-40miles) formats. My training has almost primarily been paddle, paddle, and then paddle. Id like to start adding strength training to the mix but would like to be efficient about it. Im looking to go about 3days/week of strength training along with my typical 4days of paddling cardio.

To describe the muscle groups used in outrigger paddling it might be worth to look at this video from a race we had in Hawaii.
http://youtu.be/4F04e_LPBUc?t=2m10s
Obviously a lot of upper body pulling motion but from experience I can tell you my legs get the heaviest work. Legs and hips are used to stabilize and drive, core to transfer the energy, and pull and push motions for the upper body.

So in short, I'm looking for foundation and auxiliary lifts you'd suggest and how to split my days up.

Thanks for the time and any advice!

Replies

• stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming the goal of the weight training would be to build strength primarily, correct? Might sound like a silly question, but you could also use it to build strength endurance. I gather you get plenty of that from your paddle training.
  • teemarania
    Options
    Apiki, which club do you paddle with? Sorry to troll on your post, but I'm just curious.
  • apiki_one
    apiki_one Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes exactly. My goal is to get stronger but more importantly be able to access the strength over longer periods. In the post "Two day full body strength training routine" you left a comment about a program that utilized 3 foundation exercises - squat, bench, deadlift. And these were cycled each day by a heavy, moderate, and explosive emphasis.

This got me thinking about my time on the water. In a long distance canoe race we would use those different levels of power routinely. Heavy power to get the canoe up and moving from a stall or start. Moderate power to maintain your rate (the sweet spot where you want to be as efficient as possible). And, the explosive power to give the canoe that extra bump to jump on wind swells.
    Similar analogies could be made for the sprint season.

Would you still advise this form of program for a paddler? or may be something with even higher volumes maybe in the 15-20 rep range. I could hit you with a hundred more questions but may be point me in the right direction first.

teemarania - I live in WA state and paddle with a small club up there, but I hui up with a group of guys to race in Hawaii when we can.