Belly Fat

aj_31
aj_31 Posts: 994 Member
*Before starting let me just say I know you can't spot reduce.*

With that being said...when you have a large amount of your fat in your belly area is it worth it to do ab exercises or is it better to wait until you lean out?

I ask because I've heard a lot of mixed reviews. I've heard people say it is pointless to do abs with large amounts of belly fat because until it drops there is really no point in working that area.

Then you have videos like 30 Day Shred and they do ab workouts and the before/after pics of people who had belly fat seemed to have lost some while doing it. Now that could be from the whole video or because of the ab section. I'm not sure.

I'm curious as to what Steve and the others on here think.

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member

With that being said...when you have a large amount of your fat in your belly area is it worth it to do ab exercises or is it better to wait until you lean out?

I ask because I've heard a lot of mixed reviews. I've heard people say it is pointless to do abs with large amounts of belly fat because until it drops there is really no point in working that area.

Then you have videos like 30 Day Shred and they do ab workouts and the before/after pics of people who had belly fat seemed to have lost some while doing it. Now that could be from the whole video or because of the ab section. I'm not sure.

Mmm. For me, I don't do ab building - I don't care about bigger abs and I have too much belly fat for them to show anyway. But even if I didn't have hte belly fat, I'm already pretty thick built, I don't want thicker abs.

I personally think 30 day shred is a) a kind of crappy workout, I hate it and b) panders to what people want, which means they put in ab exercises because if they don't, people will go "BUT WHAT ABOUT MY BELLY". Oh and C) 30 Day Shred as done by most people is basically a 25 minute cardio workout, with little rest periods they call "abs" in between. Most people will get a nice amount of fat loss by adding 25 minutes of cardio 5x a week. And you see that reflected in the before/after shots.

You can't spot reduce. you already said you know. So. I mean. You can't spot reduce?

I *do* however do core strengthening stuff, because a strong core aids pretty much everything. But that's not the same as deliberately building up the muscles in your stomach - you can gain strength without gaining muscle size.

Soooooooooo

It depends?

If you try to put on some muscle in your abs, it might be possible to gain a little size there even in a deficit, via newbie gains. And the UPside to adding muscle (Anywhere) is that it makes the fat look less ...fat. Size wise you might be bigger, but the fat looks smoother because its stretched over a bigger harder base. But, most women don't want to look thicker through the middle. I certainly don't.

But a stronger back (and stomach but I think people are weaker in their back most of the time) will help you with posture, pretty much any sport or exercise you want to do ever, etc. So I think its a good idea to do stuff. But not with an eye that it will in any way make your belly look smaller.

(PS some people lose belly fat first. Mean horrible people that we should shun and not be friends with. But you know. They exist. Don't look at other people's B/A pictures and assume yours will look the same if you do the same workouts.)
  • aj_31

Mmm. For me, I don't do ab building - I don't care about bigger abs and I have too much belly fat for them to show anyway. But even if I didn't have hte belly fat, I'm already pretty thick built, I don't want thicker abs.

I personally think 30 day shred is a) a kind of crappy workout, I hate it and b) panders to what people want, which means they put in ab exercises because if they don't, people will go "BUT WHAT ABOUT MY BELLY". Oh and C) 30 Day Shred as done by most people is basically a 25 minute cardio workout, with little rest periods they call "abs" in between. Most people will get a nice amount of fat loss by adding 25 minutes of cardio 5x a week. And you see that reflected in the before/after shots.

You can't spot reduce. you already said you know. So. I mean. You can't spot reduce?

I *do* however do core strengthening stuff, because a strong core aids pretty much everything. But that's not the same as deliberately building up the muscles in your stomach - you can gain strength without gaining muscle size.

Soooooooooo

It depends?

If you try to put on some muscle in your abs, it might be possible to gain a little size there even in a deficit, via newbie gains. And the UPside to adding muscle (Anywhere) is that it makes the fat look less ...fat. Size wise you might be bigger, but the fat looks smoother because its stretched over a bigger harder base. But, most women don't want to look thicker through the middle. I certainly don't.

But a stronger back (and stomach but I think people are weaker in their back most of the time) will help you with posture, pretty much any sport or exercise you want to do ever, etc. So I think its a good idea to do stuff. But not with an eye that it will in any way make your belly look smaller.

(PS some people lose belly fat first. Mean horrible people that we should shun and not be friends with. But you know. They exist. Don't look at other people's B/A pictures and assume yours will look the same if you do the same workouts.)

Great feedback.

In my workout programs they do have some ab stuff in them but not on a daily basis. A girl at work thinks I'm crazy because I don't do a lot of ab work and I try to tell her unless I lose all my belly fat it's kind of pointless because you can't see the muscle and it could make my stomach look bigger. It looks big enough as it is!!
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Those prepackaged programs throw a bunch of core work in there because that's what the customers want / believe they need. Cater to the masses regardless of integrity... and all that crap.

But yeah, even with my clients who are carrying a lot of fat around their mid sections... they're doing core work. It likely isn't geared towards generating muscle growth. But you better believe I'm throwing in stuff like anti-ration, anti-flexion, and general stability stuff.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    But you better believe I'm throwing in stuff like anti-ration, anti-flexion, and general stability stuff.

*cough*examples*cough*
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    But you better believe I'm throwing in stuff like anti-ration, anti-flexion, and general stability stuff.

*cough*examples*cough*

yes, i remember some of this, but could you elaborate on specifically what you find to be important and efficient and especially those of us with lower back issues, what are the do's and don'ts?
  • stroutman81

*cough*examples*cough*

It's obviously going to depend on the individual's current condition and level of readiness. But some very basic intro exercises would be Sahraman's core exercises:

http://physicaltherapyinnovations.com/exercises/09.pdf

http://physicaltherapyinnovations.com/exercises/10.pdf

This is typically done in conjunction with an assessment of the postural muscles related to breathing. A lot of people have breathing pattern inefficiencies. Put simply, they're chest breathers rather than belly breathers. In response to this, their diaphragm allignment gets all out of whack. For a variety of reasons, when this is in place, core strength/stability is inhibited. To retrain diaphragmatic breathing, I'll introduce exercises such as:

Crocodile Breathing - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I39hwapG2A8&feature=player_embedded

Or I'll have them lay on their backs and re-learn how to breathe with their bellies. I'll start with having them place their hand on their belly and the other on their chest and focus on deep belly breaths. I'll progress this into weighted deep belly breathing by placing something like a kettlebell on the belly.

Once this very basic stuff is primed, I'll advance to things like:

bird dogs
    pallof presses
    plank variations
    rollout variations
    etc
  • stroutman81

*cough*examples*cough*

yes, i remember some of this, but could you elaborate on specifically what you find to be important and efficient and especially those of us with lower back issues, what are the do's and don'ts?

Leela, it's really going to depend on what's causing the back pain. In your case, we never really identified the exact mechanism of pain and injury. Which is why we started at the basic stuff listed above first. If memory serves me right, we did progress into some plank variations. I'm sure you recall the beloved "stir the pot."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qLiHIJgUZ0
  • aj_31
    Thanks for this info. I'm going to look at all the info provided.