Hello, just joined the group

Options
DMW914
DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
My name is Dina and my fiance & I have just completed our 2 week induction phase of the low carb diet. I am pleased to be able to find such a group here as I'd like to get all the support I can get to help us on this new journey of health we've decided to embark on.

Some background history: My fiance have tried the Atkins diet before & was successful in weightloss but then he got on the yo-yo diet plan where he would give up certain carbs during the week then reward himself on the weekend. I joined in too, since this is my first real bout with weight. I was never a big person, then before I knew it I was diagnosed w/hypertension & at my last weigh in at the Dr.'s office I was a whopping 207 lbs. I tried to deny the HBP for years cause' I thought I was too skinny that couldn't be right... but low and behold the more weight I gained in a 5 yr. span the more I was becoming a believer that hey this is a part of my life & I just can't ignore it anymore. I started having back spasms & things that I took for granted such as walking started to become difficult. I hate takiing medication so I tried other means to lose weight & just couldn't afford to stick with it. Once, I was instructed by a cardiologist to go on the mediterranian diet. I even tried the Atkins for 2 weeks and lost some weight & thought I was cured. We even went out & bought an expensive blender and tried to do a version of Herbalife or Slimfast with 2 shakes, snacks in between & a decent meal but that got way too expensive plus some of the Herbalife products made me feel jittery or famished. Well, back to the drawing board. I tried to do a juice fast but I couldn't get past them dang headaches. Finally we started juicing following another suggestion of an infomercial. We were doing okay. I stumbled on MFP and started logging, excercising & losing some weight. Impressed by my weight loss my FH wanted to join the gym at his job & as a requirement had to have a physical. To his surprise his BP (blood pressure) was so high they sent him home & told him to get to a Dr. immediately. Of course he's back on meds & was told not to do any excercising for 2 weeks until his pressure gets under control (w/the assistance of the meds of course) This got me to thinking about the Atkins diet so I dusted off his old book, read it & we both agreed to give this another try as our lives depends on it. So that's my story. No falling off this time. Now we're in the process of elimination of foods that keep us sick. My first food that I must release is almonds. I had them for the first 2 day after induction and it gave me headaches. I know better now & I will be listening to my body from now on. Feel free to add me as a friend or veiw my diary. I would love some new recipe ideas as well.

Replies

• zynx1234
    zynx1234 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Good Luck! and welcome
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Welcome :happy:
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    welcome and good luck!

I like lowcarbfriends and this site for recipes: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html

I also have a ton of ideas on my pinterest board and some are amazing. I hvaen't tried them all and some when I look closer have more carbs than i realized so some of it is works on progress: http://pinterest.com/melaniewester/low-carb/

I love eating low carb but i do find if i'm making a lot of recipes it is quite costly in the grocery store. I try to shop sales and stock up then. I feel very good eating the low carb lifestyle. I find when eating low fat, i am constantly hungry and low calorie fake foods spike my blood sugar terribly.
  • zynx1234
    zynx1234 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hey since your back to Atkins also look into the Primal and Paleo diets/lifestylesf. I like them more than Atkins cause of their push for clean eating. They are all similarly related in the LC part but Atkins is less natural.

I wont pay me no mind though. I have been at this for two months and have only lost three pounds. I attribute that to over consumption and a lack of saiteity...I think I am broken. But I do feel amazing.
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Hey since your back to Atkins also look into the Primal and Paleo diets/lifestylesf. I like them more than Atkins cause of their push for clean eating. They are all similarly related in the LC part but Atkins is less natural.

I wont pay me no mind though. I have been at this for two months and have only lost three pounds. I attribute that to over consumption and a lack of saiteity...I think I am broken. But I do feel amazing.

Actually I am looking into this as well as gluten free. I'm trying to find a balance cause' I really don't want anything artificial in my diet as I can help it. Thanks for the info. :wink: