The ketosis diet and exercise

Options
I've recently heard about the ketosis diet (a friend of a friend's apparently lost 30 lbs on it in 4 months).

The basic idea is that you cut out almost all carbs (50gram daily allowance maximum) and focus on protein and good fats. This is supposed to put your body into a state of ketosis, where your body stops burning carbs for energy (because there is none) and starts burning fat while not reducing muscle at all.

I am doing Kung Fu classes twice a week (beginner level fitness) and exercising 2 or 3 times a week besides that (mostly cardio, form repitition and body weight resistance training). I have been struggling with my fitness as i am carrying too much fat and my cardivascular fitness is really bad.

Has anybody been on this diet while training? Do you think it is something worth trying out or something that is likely to be bad for your body?

Replies

• ChasingStarlight
    ChasingStarlight Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    To be honest I don't think question is particularly related to MA, which is not to say it isn't a valid question. If you struggle with MA because you aren't fit, get fitter. If you are overweight, cut your calories, I don't think there is going to be a special diet which will have any significantly greater impact beyond calories in calories out.

I do MA and watch my calories and have lost weight. It is fine, you just have to make sure you have sufficient energy. I started running and I went from no fitness to very fit and that does help with MA.

Try the ketosis diet if you want, why not? See how it works for you. Provided you eat enough you should be fine. I do IF now which lot of people don't get and physically it is fine.

Good luck!
  • Caseyann2501
    Caseyann2501 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've posted in this group because i was hoping to hear from someone who has experience with the Kestosis diet who is also doing MMA. I wanted to know if they found it to help or hinder them while they were training.

I've also posted this topic in the Food and Nutrition forum
  • rstoliker
    Options
    it sounds to me that this is more of a modified Atkins diet. I would worry about burning yourself out....OR...the dreaded "I dont know why since I started eating carbs again I just gained back all this weight and MORE!"

Truth be told...just being on a proper balanced diet with adequate exercise should be all that you need to post results. if you burn more than you take in...you lose weight.
  • althaluszombie
    althaluszombie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I was essentially doing this diet tho it was based off of knowledge that I cultivated compared to a system that I learned about. Make sure that most of those 50 carbs are fiber otherwise you will be ****ting out your protein. Also most carb heavy items besides grain contain most of your nutrients meaning vitamins and minerals. You need to take much in the way of supplemental vitamins and minerals. i use ultra start vitamins from freshstartvitamins.com I was doing this for about a year and my weight dropped off and little exercise on my part so I can imagine someone with an active lifestyle. Good luck. Remember processed foods suck. You are a processing machine. I took around 250 g of protein and 75 g fat. Usually good omega fats from flax seed and tuna/salmon. Need to learn to love the fish with this diet. if you have a George Foreman that is helpful as well. It will drain most of the fat from your meats. If your a herbalist as I am it will help to contain your metabolism so your not a s hungry all the time. At first cutting those carbs made me loose energy but after the first month and with help with the vitamins I had double the energy.
  • JephaMooi
    JephaMooi Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I use it on and off during training.

It's awesome!
  • CriosDubh
    CriosDubh Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My son's neurologist put him on the ketosis diet for his seizures, not to lose weight. He hated it, his breath stank all the time, he had little energy, and he did not see any improvement in seizures. I followed it for a week and hated it also because I was training for a half-marathon, running 25+ miles per week, and doing MA training. It sucked. Maybe you'll like it. Who knows. I've had a lot more success just cutting out refined carbs.
  • JephaMooi
    JephaMooi Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I think it's nice for a week or so, nothing more. Just a kick start and chiseler.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I've recently heard about the ketosis diet (a friend of a friend's apparently lost 30 lbs on it in 4 months).

The basic idea is that you cut out almost all carbs (50gram daily allowance maximum) and focus on protein and good fats. This is supposed to put your body into a state of ketosis, where your body stops burning carbs for energy (because there is none) and starts burning fat while not reducing muscle at all.

I am doing Kung Fu classes twice a week (beginner level fitness) and exercising 2 or 3 times a week besides that (mostly cardio, form repitition and body weight resistance training). I have been struggling with my fitness as i am carrying too much fat and my cardivascular fitness is really bad.

Has anybody been on this diet while training? Do you think it is something worth trying out or something that is likely to be bad for your body?

If you're interested in alternative diets, you might want to look into the Primal/Paleo stuff. It helps by reducing carbs (compared to what's known as the Standard American Diet), but provides more leniency around adjusting your carb intake to meet your actual needs, as well as providing a more sustainable framework around choosing which carbs to consume and whatnot, so that you can maintain it over the long term (and, therefore, not have to "go off of it" and end up gaining everything back; remember, if you don't want to yo-yo, your diet should be something you can commit to - a way of eating - not something you hop on and off).

The simple truth is that endurance training (such as cardio, particularly high-intensity, for an hour or more) requires glucose (carbs) to fuel the body during the workouts. As such, the extreme ketosis diets (<50g of carbs) are generally not sustainable for such athletes for more than a week or so. However, you can still get a lot of the same benefits by cutting down on your carbs, while still consuming enough to fuel those longer workouts. Even most of the most hard-core keto athletes will tell you it's hard as hell to sustain and they're only actually in it for a few weeks at a time (non-athletes can often do it easier, since they don't need as much energy in general), and even Atkins only does the extreme keto for the first two weeks (afterwards, you start slowing increasing your carb intake until you find what suits your needs).

It's also entirely possible (not to mention surprisingly easy) to get the nutrients you need while consuming 50g-150g of carbs a day. The key is knowing what sources of carbs actually provide you benefits other than the carbs themselves. Green leafy vegetables (kale, spinach, good lettuces, etc), carrots, tomatoes, broccoli, peppers, sweet potatoes (for the high-carb days) and other types of squash, berries, apples, and so on, can give you all the carbs (and fiber) you need, and are packed with tons and tons and tons of nutrients. Grab high-quality meats (grass-fed, pastured, or wild-caught, if at all possible; and avoid the factory-farmed crap) to get things like iron, omega-3 fatty acids, good fats, and of course protein, to top it all off, and you have a nutrient-dense, filling, and satisfying set of meals.

If you're interested in something like the above, I recommend checking out http://whole9life.com/2012/08/the-whole30-program/ and http://www.marksdailyapple.com . Nerd Fitness also has a great "beginner's" article, which gives an awesome overview of the Paleo Diet (as well as his thoughts on its criticisms) http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/10/04/the-beginners-guide-to-the-paleo-diet/ .
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    it sounds to me that this is more of a modified Atkins diet. I would worry about burning yourself out....OR...the dreaded "I dont know why since I started eating carbs again I just gained back all this weight and MORE!"

Truth be told...just being on a proper balanced diet with adequate exercise should be all that you need to post results. if you burn more than you take in...you lose weight.

Why do people expect to go back to the way they were eating that got them fat in the first place, and not gain the weight back?

Also, Atkins only does extreme ketosis for the first two weeks, to break you of your carb dependency and force your body to find other sources of fuel (or, as the Paleo guys put it, to flip the switch from "sugar burner" to "fat burner").

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein