5K Advice/Question

Options
amcanzo
amcanzo Posts: 418 Member
Hi!

My husband and I started doing C25k last week, for me it's my second time starting but with a "buddy" to run with I know I can stick with it. My husband was a track & field guy in HS (which, admittedly was quite some time ago...) but he has experience with running and I really don't.

My problem though is that I really want to do this to enter a 5k - for the camaraderie, the accomplishment feeling - but I'm having trouble explaining/convincing him to enter the Turkey Trot 5k with me. He doesn't get the point of paying for running when we can step out our front door and run whenever we want for free....

Any suggestions as to what I can use to motivate him?? I've never run a 5k so I don't have a clue what it would be like....:happy:
Thanks!

Replies

• Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    My husband thinks the same thing. I told him I needed this for me, to get me motivated and to feel that sense of accomplishment. My husband still doesn't get it, but he's doing it because I need it. We walked a 5K earlier this month that was full of big hills. But we finished, and he knows how much it meant to me. He even agreed to the one next month (this time with no hills). We'll see how he reacts when I tell him I want to do a 5K every month (yes, I'm addicted!).
  • jessc4343
    jessc4343 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    See if you can find a run that supports a cause like Wounded Warriors - or the more popular - Susan G Komen walk/run is sometime in October, I think. That way he's not paying to run, necessarily - he's running and getting to support a good cause (and making you happy in the process)! Win win :)
  • loril13
    loril13 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Plus, you usually get a cool t-shirt with the entry fee. :happy:

I also started C25k with my hubby. We're doing the Susan G Komen 5k in October. We'll be at week 6 or 7 come race day. I have to break it to him I want to do the Jolly Jaunt 5k in December. Our long term goal is the runDisneu Tower of terror 10 mile race in September 2013. I want to get a couple of 5k's and then a couple of 10k's before then.
  • DeeDee1066
    DeeDee1066 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Don't wait on him. You go and do it by yourself if you need to.
  • amcanzo
    Options
    See if you can find a run that supports a cause like Wounded Warriors - or the more popular - Susan G Komen walk/run is sometime in October, I think. That way he's not paying to run, necessarily - he's running and getting to support a good cause (and making you happy in the process)! Win win :)

I like this!

I will if I can't get him to go but I would love to run with him :happy:
    Thanks for all the responses :flowerforyou:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Tell him it's something you'd really enjoy doing together, and all things considered, it's a really cheap date.

And sometimes there's post-race donuts.
  • trizzell79
    trizzell79 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    It's really exhilarating running in a large group of people!

Just nag him enough until he gives in, and then he will realize how exciting it is! Lol!
  • Kjngrrl
    Kjngrrl Posts: 53 Member
    Options

THIS!
    I tried to do C25K with my husband. But when I'm ready to go, I'm ready to go. Became quickly apparent that if I had to wait for him to be ready, I'd never get this done. So I just do it alone and just finished W7D2.
  • LeonnieH
    LeonnieH Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Definitely do a run for charity. I didn't really like the idea of entering in for 5k runs when I first started c25k but when I learned that a charity I support was having a 5k event I decided to enter - it's next weekend. It seems more purposeful running and raising money for charity rather than just paying to do a run for my own benefit, maybe your husband will feel the same :) But I agree that if he still doesn't think it interesting then just get out there and do your own thing, don't wait for him. In all likelihood you'll inspire him to join you for the next run :)
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    5Ks and running races generally are awesome! I suggest you run with him to train but don't pressure him to enter the race, just make it clear that you will be doing the turkey trot and ask him to come along and cheer you on if he doesn't want to run the race. You will have the best time - runners are so friendly - and I bet he will sign up with you for the next race!
    My other half who didn't run (used to but stopped) brought our kids to cheer me on at a couple of races and what do you know, he's done 2 5Ks and signed up for a 10K now!
  • amcanzo
    Options

My other half who didn't run (used to but stopped) brought our kids to cheer me on at a couple of races and what do you know, he's done 2 5Ks and signed up for a 10K now!

That is so cool that he brought the kids to cheer you on - so sweet!! Awesome that he's running now too :flowerforyou:
  • mjbell642
    mjbell642 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I wanna do the Turky Trot, too, but can't talk anyone in my house into getting up early on our day off. We don't have family here, so I think it would be a fun event. Alas I will probably be a lonely turkey.
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    You also can meet other people who run and share stories. I ran a 5k sponsored by a local winery last night. It was good to get to know other runners after the race, sample the wine and listen to music after the run....Find a run in a different city and go there to compete and spend time seeing the city as a get away...As others said, some runs support local charities...
  • mjbell642
    mjbell642 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Signed up for I am Woman this afternoon. It is an All Woman 5K? I think it is for Childrens Miracle Network. Excited!!