NEED SOME ADVICE

Options
GOOD MORNING ALL,

WELL, I WENT TO THE DOCTOR'S YESTERDAY AND I WAS TOLD THAT MY MEDS THAT I HAVE BEEN TAKING SINCE THE SURGERY AUGUST 26 DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. I WAS TOLD THAT MY CALCIUM AND VITAMIN D LEVELS ARE BASICALLY NON EXISTENT AND THE LEVOTHYROXINE WAS NOT HELPING (WHICH I KNEW BECAUSE I STILL WAS HAVING THE SAME SYMPTOMS) THE DR TOOK ME OFF OF THE CALCITROL AND REPLACED IT WITH 50,000 MG OF VITAMIN D, I HAVE TO TAKE CALCIUM 600MG TWO TIMES A DAY AND THEY UPPED MYLEVOTHYROXINE FROM 100MG TO 137MG. SHOULD I TAKE ALL OF THE PILLS TOGETHER OR SHOULD I TAKE THEM SEPARATELY?

Replies

• hsrunningmom
    hsrunningmom Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Calcium can interfer with the absorbtion of your thyroid medication. I was told I need to take my calcium at least 4 hours apart from the thyroid meds. I'm not sure about the Vitamin D though. Hopes this helps some.
  • emstethem
    emstethem Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Synthroid (Levothyroxine) didn't work for me either. Armour is all natural T1,2,3 &4 and Levothyroxine is just synthetic T4...I have seen better results with the Armour since I've switched. I would wait a few hours between taking thyroid meds and the vitamins. Just because I wouldn't want to interfere with absorption. :) Good luck. :)
  • rickthexpreacher
    rickthexpreacher Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Your original question was answered above I think. can I just add something. Calcium supplements can contribute to the formation of kidney stones as can excess Vitamin C. I know this from extremely painful personal experience. So, make sure that you take in loads of liquid each day-not whiskey, gin, beer or wine preferably otherwise you'll eventually get a liver problem as well:sad: just plain water-maybe flavoured lightly with dilutable juice.
  • queenstatus
    queenstatus Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    thanks for all of your advice, i appreciate it
  • Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I like taking NP Thyroid because it is sublingual. It melts in your mouth so you don't have to wait hours to take other vitamins. I have a busy life so getting my vitamins out of the way asap is a great help.

I was low on vitamin D. I supplement with 5,000 iu of D3 vitamin. For calcium I personally recommend Bone Restore by Life Extension. You can look it up on Amazon, research it, read reviews etc. I like it because it has other nutrients that assist in the absorption calcium.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Def. take thyroid before other pills, with at LEAST an hour in between taking calcium/vitamin D (and even foods with these vitamins) if not more.

Not sure about your Vitamin D dosage... I've never heard of Vitamin D dosed as mg--it's generally IUs. I was on 137 mg of Levothyroxine for a loooong time before I developed thyroidtoxicosis, and I don't have a thyroid. It seems like a high dose (which I was fine with at the time), so just be mindful of any changing symptoms down the road.