First Annual MFP Power Lifting Competition held at...

Options

Replies

• mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    i'm just gunna post my vid's from my November comp. :p
  • AlbionOakley
    AlbionOakley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    you could just do it on wilks score then everyone can compete with each other
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    we could just use glossbrenner?

yeah weigh in would need to be honor.

and farking taso etc why didnt you guys tell me about this group !!!

:p

hahaha sorry mate. between this, the Strength Training, and the BodyBuilding groups, I'm never sure which one is the "real" group. I believe they should all merge.

Power lifters,Body builders and Cross fit people are all different. They all lift different, believe in different things and their own way of life. Each thinks their way is better. I use to power lift, but now I like all three. There is an arrogance in the cross fit world where they put down BB's and PL's. I see good things from all three. I've been this group since Snookumus started it and just joined the Body Builder's group. I get knowledge from all three, can't get too much of that. I was kidding when I posted this topic but thought why not, its possible with youtube. As for the honor thing, you would only be cheating yourself. It would be nice if one day we could all get together to meet and workout. I talked about that with my circle of friends. I've put some of my lifts on FB which is another avenue we could do. Just a thought ttyl
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I vote for YouTube - for security reasons, some of us are very reserved when it comes to using Facebook.

How about this for rules:

1. You get 3 video submissions per lift (prevents people from just posting video after video of their PRs - you get 3 chances to make your max lift)
    2. You submit a photo of your weight on the scale before your first video is posted - you are then given a 5 pound variance for the month.
    3. You have one month to make your lifts (I suggest this start on Nov 1 and end on Nov 31) - gives us time to prepare.
    4. You are permitted to use lifting belts, straps, knee and elbow wraps. No squat suits or bench shirts.
    4a. You are not disqualified for using suits or shirts, but you will be set in your own division for judging.

Scores will be calculated using Glossbrenner, with the 5 pound variance stated above. This will give you a high-low range. Your range will then be compared to the other competitors.

As for judging of lifts - I'll leave that to someone else. I'll have a certified judge watching my lifts in the gym, to make sure I'm doing it right.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    We can get Udail in this group to judge the lift if he would, he is a judge. The lift will be considered good unless there is evidence that its not.
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I vote for YouTube - for security reasons, some of us are very reserved when it comes to using Facebook.

1. You get 3 video submissions per lift (prevents people from just posting video after video of their PRs - you get 3 chances to make your max lift)
    2. You submit a photo of your weight on the scale before your first video is posted - you are then given a 5 pound variance for the month.
    3. You have one month to make your lifts (I suggest this start on Nov 1 and end on Nov 31) - gives us time to prepare.
    4. You are permitted to use lifting belts, straps, knee and elbow wraps. No squat suits or bench shirts.
    4a. You are not disqualified for using suits or shirts, but you will be set in your own division for judging.

Scores will be calculated using Glossbrenner, with the 5 pound variance stated above. This will give you a high-low range. Your range will then be compared to the other competitors.

As for judging of lifts - I'll leave that to someone else. I'll have a certified judge watching my lifts in the gym, to make sure I'm doing it right.

These are good! On the weight photo. a Timestamp should be on the photo.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

This all sounds very sound and reasonable to me.

I'm thinking that all the lifts should be done in maybe a week's period, not a month though? Perhaps the challenge is open for a month, but when you do you first lift, the rest should come within that week. Just a thought.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    ...Or do it the same day like a meet, if it were to mimic a competition. Of course some maybe about to go to one then it could be done within a month. Or video your lifts at a meet and that would be even better. 3 white lights or 3 thumbs up, either way.
  • KiltFuPanda
    Options
    2 weeks, maybe? I know I only see the gym myself twice a week, so getting in 3 videos in a week would be pushing it.

I'm not thinking about this like a "three lifts and you're done" contest - more of a PR contest with some rules. You get to post 3 PRs per lift in a specific time frame - if you can't up your PR in 2 weeks, then that's your best lift.
  • taso42
    Options
    ^^^ I'm pretty much ok with whatever. This sounds like it's going to be great fun.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    posted below.........
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    2 weeks, maybe? I know I only see the gym myself twice a week, so getting in 3 videos in a week would be pushing it.

I'm not thinking about this like a "three lifts and you're done" contest - more of a PR contest with some rules. You get to post 3 PRs per lift in a specific time frame - if you can't up your PR in 2 weeks, then that's your best lift.

I'd be cool with that.

I just hit maxes this past week so it'll be a while before I pull a max from the floor, but I'll suck it up if needed.
  • KiltFuPanda
    Options
    I figured everybody would need some "gearing up" time for this, so that's why I suggested November.

I've got a throwing competition next weekend, so I've been working on speed and not brute force - I'll switch gears after the competition and start getting ready.

Good luck to everybody!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great idea to me!

Are you talking about doing all 3 lifts on the same day as a normal comp would run?
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't think so chris. Have two weeks to just set pr's.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    Sounds like a great idea to me!

Are you talking about doing all 3 lifts on the same day as a normal comp would run?

I think we're gonna get to cheat and do them on seperate days. Everyone can be nice and fresh that way.
  • feast4thebeast
    feast4thebeast Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    This sounds interesting - I'm in.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    SO lets set a date for this. Decide on rules and a fair way to judge. And set deadlines.
  • taso42
    Options
    I thought the date was "all of November"?

The information is just strewn about in this thread. If somebody wanted to make it all tidy, and maybe start a new topic or group, that would be great.... (NOT IT :smile: )
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    all of november sounds good to me.

so was the overall decision basically that you have a couple weeks to do all of the lifts, raw or geared, and we'll use a coefficient for best lifter?