Let's throw out our most comfy shirt

Options
mamo1014
mamo1014 Posts: 129 Member
Hi there, I've been on this site almost a year and I have not met one goal I have set for myself. I'm an emotional eater and I eat for comfort...I have my comfort foods and I have my comfy shirt to turn to when I don't want to deal with whatever emotion I don't want to deal with. My comfy shirt is stained, worn, holey, faded, stretched out...and it's the softest and loosest piece of clothing I have. I LOVE my comfy shirt.

Well, tonight I decided to break out of my comfort zone. I have to do this if I'm ever going to lose the weight I need to. It's not even a matter of wanting to lose weight now...it's a matter of having to or I'm going to be on meds to keep me alive for the rest of my life. I don't want to do that.

So, I do not have ANY comfort food in my pantry or fridge. And to make sure I deal with my issues, I threw out my comfy shirt too. In looking at it, it really was a rag...No wonder my family hated me to wear it ( which was all the time except when it was in the washer). The moment I got home from work, I would put my fat shorts on and my comfy shirt and plop myself down in front of the TV. Well, not anymore.

If anyone else wants to throw away that comfy (security) shirt, let's make this transition together. We are strong and we can do this.

Replies

• roguestates
    Options
    Congrats to you! That's a pretty hard thing to do. I finally got rid of my comfy clothes and clothes that were too tight. I kept holding onto them for "that day" -- but that's a pretty effed up mentality. I want to start fresh when I get there. Now there are no excuses to not look and feel my best no matter what weight I'm at. It prevents wallowing in that cycle.
  • mamo1014
    Options
    That's a good idea...I have a closet full of clothes I'm going to "get back into". It's been so darn long they are probably out of style..lol. You're right about starting over...I'm going to do that tonight when I get home. If I'm going to get rid of the emotional clutter, I need to get rid of all clutter...including those clothes.

Thanks!
  • areufnkiddingme
    areufnkiddingme Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Great idea, I love it!
  • areufnkiddingme
    areufnkiddingme Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    That's a good idea...I have a closet full of clothes I'm going to "get back into". It's been so darn long they are probably out of style..lol. You're right about starting over...I'm going to do that tonight when I get home. If I'm going to get rid of the emotional clutter, I need to get rid of all clutter...including those clothes.

Thanks!

Hey I'm glad to hear that you are getting rid of the "One day" clothes. This isn't about going back to someone you used to be- that person made some bad decisions that put you where you are now. This struggle is all about finding someone new inside yourself! Get rid of those old guilty memories and forge some new, proud ones. Go you!
  • kathyanne07
    kathyanne07 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the motivation to take another step towards breaking out of the old habits and putting on newer permanent ones. It's so hard for me to get rid of clothes. I have so many clothes............but......if I sorted and only kept those I could actually wear......... I think this is a great idea. Besides.....I could give the clothes to someone who could be getting some use out of them instead of them just being stored in a drawer.
  • roguestates
    Options
    This isn't about going back to someone you used to be- that person made some bad decisions that put you where you are now. This struggle is all about finding someone new inside yourself! Get rid of those old guilty memories and forge some new, proud ones. Go you!

Totally agree :) I felt such a huge sense of relief when I donated my clothes. So many of them still had tags on them! But I felt free from the anxiety and expectations and I was ready to start fresh.
    Besides.....I could give the clothes to someone who could be getting some use out of them instead of them just being stored in a drawer.

Absolutely! Someone would have a great use for them than the dust bunnies in my closet. Plus, you get to reward yourself with new clothes when you feel like it. Your body might even be a different shape by then, or your tastes may have changed. At the very least, fashion will have changed! :P
  • ser67
    ser67 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I love this thread and like the idea of throwing out clothes that I have kept for years hoping to one day fit back into them. (Two big suit cases full). Time to de-clutter.
  • ASH0424
    ASH0424 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have had to throw or donate clothes as well last year that I had when I was 20/21 - I def thought too I'd get back into them, but one day I realized I don't even want to look (I mean I looked good) like I did back then. It was a totally different time for me, now I am a Mom and just feel different about things....I do currently have a footlocker of smaller clothers, but they're like stuff I couldn't get rid of and that I will get into as I get to my goal. I figure things like jeans don't get outdated - but they're out of site, so I don't think about them or day dream about being in them...that is the point.

It is HARD but WE WILL ALL GET THERE!
  • mamo1014
    Options
    I totally agree...we can all do this. I cleaned out part of my closet...I got rid of two bags of clothes and shoes. Today, my goal is to start the other side....I'm laughing to myself because I had my closet stuffed with clothes and shoes and I'm wearing the same ol' thing every week. What an eye opener. :laugh:
  • ellej7
    ellej7 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yep I just tossed my comfy jeans. They are a bit loose now and a bit ragged. I almost kept them just in case my new ones get to tight but then I thought, that's planning for failure! Not cool! So here I go, no safety net ;-)