Hi! Anybody gone through this?

Hello! I'm new to this forum!

I finally reached my goal weight of 130 (I'm 5'6") during the summer. And then I recently dropped another two pounds. I dropped those pounds, getting to my goal weight and then the last few pounds during hiatus from exercise.

My question is has this ever happened to anyone else? The first weight drop was last spring after training for a 5k. After the 5k I decided to rest from all working out and running for a few months. THIS is when I got to my goal weight.

Then I plateaued a little all summer. I started working out again 4-5 days a week doing strength training and a little running. I got a tattoo on my foot last month so I couldn't wear tennis shoes and go to the gym for two weeks. I did a little resistance stuff at home but nothing like what I do at the gym. Well, it was during the two week break that I dropped to 128 pounds!

What's the deal with loosing weight after STOPPING work outs?! Should a break be a regular thing?

Replies

• aeroback
    aeroback Posts: 66 Member
    I know it has happened to me. A little break and not overdoing the food while on the break can be a good thing. Your body needs to be "tricked" every once and a while. Tricked as in switch up your normal routine. Atleast you didnt gain!

and, side note- congrats on the new tat. I have a wrap around my ankle and had it stop before the top of my foot cause of the pain... i give you props!
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    This happened to me recently. I cut back on exercise from 6x a week to 3x/4x max and upped my calories. I've spent all summer bouncing around the 121-123lbs range. Now in two weeks of less exercise, I'm down to 119lbs.

I got on the scale this morning and saw 118.8 and said... Really? You've got to be kidding me! lol
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    This happened to me recently. I cut back on exercise from 6x a week to 3x/4x max and upped my calories. I've spent all summer bouncing around the 121-123lbs range. Now in two weeks of less exercise, I'm down to 119lbs.

I got on the scale this morning and saw 118.8 and said... Really? You've got to be kidding me! lol

When your muscles are worked and worked hard they can retain water. So, any drops from a couple of days with no exercise, might not be the kind of weight loss you're looking for.
  • nixerific
    nixerific Posts: 76 Member
    I had this happen to me. I did Insanity Asylum and lost 6 lbs during the program. I took a recovery week of just Yoga before my second round of regular Insanity and lost 3 lbs out of nowhere.

I think Buchesonothi is right that is is water retention, but I haven't gained back the water weight yet.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    yes... def happened(s) to me.... water retention in the muscles, hormones (and how they affect women), etc.. etc...
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member

When your muscles are worked and worked hard they can retain water. So, any drops from a couple of days with no exercise, might not be the kind of weight loss you're looking for.

It's been two weeks now and so far the scale hasn't gone back over 120lbs. I've been doing EMWL so for me I think it's a combo of my reset and less workouts.
  • Thanks, Ladies! Yeah, I haven't put any of those lost pounds back on either.
  • I know it has happened to me. A little break and not overdoing the food while on the break can be a good thing. Your body needs to be "tricked" every once and a while. Tricked as in switch up your normal routine. Atleast you didnt gain!

and, side note- congrats on the new tat. I have a wrap around my ankle and had it stop before the top of my foot cause of the pain... i give you props!

Thanks! It's my most painful tattoo. But it's also my favorite!