Recent conversation with my trainer

Options

Replies

• amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options

I haven't brought out the tape measure to do measurements because, quite frankly, I know the jiggly is there and I'm not really sure I want to know how big it is. I have a toxic relationship with the scale and that's been determined and I'm having a hard time breaking up (however it's gone down a smidge more but not back down to 162.8). I'm relying on the fit of my clothes and my endurance to justify the hard work.

I am not one of those people who finds the scale an "evil liar". In fact I find it quite accurate. I think of it as written in a different language that you must interpret. If you think every ounce is the weight of fat and muscle it will drive you crazy. If you understand it is weighing your food, water, drinks, #1&#2, etc, it is actually quite amusing to watch the fluctuations. Sometimes I will weight at like 11 at night and be 109-112# and wake up between 105-108# lol
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Hi, great story!

Just one question, doesn't MFP count veggies as carbs? I've noticed that on days when I don't eat (traditional) carbs, bread/pasta/rice they're still a relevant part of my intake...

Veggies ARE carbs ...as is Fruit. NOT just on MFP : )
  • AngelDog1
    Options
    Very interesting. Thanks for posting.
  • harlanJEN
    Options
    I recommend this book often ... It is truly informational and an eye-opener. Smarter Science of Slim by Jonathan Bailor
  • wfte
    wfte Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say vegs ARE carbs as such. They contain carbs but most of them you are talking 6-7 g per 100g, opposed to carb dense foods like bread, pasta, rice etc. They also carry the benefit of many nutrients and vitamins that often the carb dense foods lack.
  • MrsSki38
    MrsSki38 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    wfte - because you are also rather knowledgeable....question about carbs and net carbs....net carbs are carbs less dietary fiber, correct? What should truly be tracked? Carbs as a whole or net carbs? Does it matter? How are you doing with your switching up of macros?
  • MrsSki38
    Options
    OK, I should have googled a bit first.

I found this article: http://www.livestrong.com/article/467834-difference-between-carbs-net-carbs/

Not much to the article and I'd still like your input or resources that you like and trust for further reading.
  • ouandi
    ouandi Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    bump, I'm VERY interested in this and your trainer is AWESOME!!!
  • wfte
    Options
    Day 5 of my revised macros today. Im doing 25 protein/20 carbs/55 fat. As my TDEE is so high (start cut after next week) 20% still allows me 150g of carbs.

So far doing ok, can't say I've noticed much difference energy wise either positive or negative, which I'd say is a good thing as I thought I might feel a bit sluggish to start with my body adjusting to having fat as a main energy source rather than carbs.

I haven't really had any problems with cravings for carbs, slightly helped by still having a bit of wiggle room so can afford a few. Trouble has come more from coming up with meal ideas, but I guess that will just get easier as I get more used to the concept.

When talking about net carbs, yes its total carbs minus fibre. The reason for defining a difference is that fibre can't be digested by the human body and therefore doesn't trigger an insulin release.

Which should be tracked?? Down to the individual I guess. Personally I try to stick to my 150g total carbs (with the exception of flaxseed, and thats mainly because they're sneaky and list 28g fibre on the pack and only 1.7g carbs). I would use the fibre maybe as an "overdraft". If I fancy going over a little then its ok as long as its only equal to my fibre intake, so my net carbs are still 150g. But day to day I try to keep my total carbs below 150g. (20%)
  • wfte
    Options
    I just wanted to add that checking back on my diary I was previously eating over 300g carbs daily easy, sometimes even 400g+. So 150g is a significant drop.
  • harlanJEN
    Options
    I wouldn't say vegs ARE carbs as such. They contain carbs but most of them you are talking 6-7 g per 100g, opposed to carb dense foods like bread, pasta, rice etc. They also carry the benefit of many nutrients and vitamins that often the carb dense foods lack.

Yes, they are carbohydrates : ) That is the category they fall in. Truly. However, u are right on about density. Non-starchy veg and veg and fruit with fiber are smart choices. one would need to eat a boat load of non-starchy veg to rack up significant carb grams
  • tbellamy1
    Options
    You finding your sweet spot is a wonderful thing!!!! And before I met kiki and Lucia I had lost my faith in personal trainers because they always gave bad advice about diets. Keep up the good work!!!!!
  • rjlkat
    rjlkat Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the eye-opener! I have done everything I know to do up to this point - EM2WL, Bodymedia Fit to take out the guesswork, new bath scale to monitor BF and water weight %s, kitchen scale for non-guess portions... Nothing has really made the scale move and I do a lot of cardio and heavy lifting, plus watching my sodium.

After going to several sites in research after reading your post and taking a quiz, it seems I am a combination Endo-Meso. Would you mind asking your trainer what macros fit for that combination? So far I have not found macros listed for the blend of the two.

Thanks!!! :happy:
  • MrsSki38
    Options
    wtfe - thank you for your insite on tracking carbs vs net carbs. I think I'll just continue to track regular carbs. And I can relate to having high carbs prior. I never really put much thought into them.

rjlkat - I see Randy tomorrow and will ask him.

I had a really bad food weekend this past weekend. I didn't blow the macros out of the water by grossly going over, but my choices were not great from Friday through today. I'm feeling it terribly right now. I had no fruits or veggies (other than starchy veggies like potatoes) to speak of. I drank more soda than I ever do. I'm so glad tomorrow is a new day. I'm feeling physically awful and can't wait to just go to bed.

I'm also increasing my sessions from 2x's a week to 3. I feel like I need that 3rd day. I was at a sporting goods store today and hit the jackpot on the clearance racks. I found a pair of Under Armor cold-weather running pants for $25 and a new high impact running bra for $20. I happy danced in the store I was so excited. I loathe running in the cold and am trying to gear up so I have no excuses. I can run on the treadmill at the gym but prefer to run outside because it's just easier and I can work it in when I have a free chunk of time.
  • MrsSki38
    Options
    So I have everything updated from the weekend, synched up my BMF and ran a 7-day report. I'm averaging a 700 calorie a day deficit (averaging about a 2200 calorie burn a day), so theoretically, I should see a reduction in the scale in the morning. How much you want to bet that it's up a couple pounds? 162.8 is the lowest it's been and was that for 3 days before jumping back up to 165-167 after my sodium intake was rather high one day and had two heavy work out days in a row on top of that.
  • wfte
    Options
    For anyone that has a spare couple of hours and is interested.

Very revealing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs
  • wfte
    Options
    So far on EM2WL I've put on 0.75 to 1 lb a week on reset eating @ TDEE, which I have no problem with, body adjusting yadda yadda.

Last week I lowered my TDEE by 300 cals after reassessing BMR using scoobys accurate calculator and using the Katch-McArdle formula , which takes BF% into consideration, rather than the Harris-Benedict formula.

As I made this change the same week as I lowered carbs/raised fats I can't contribute any results to one or the other but this morning when I weighed I'd lost 1.6lbs this week.
  • MrsSki38
    Options
    WFTE!!!! That's awesome!!!

I'm going to watch the link you posted for Youtube tonight.
  • DaysFlyBy
    DaysFlyBy Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Commenting because this is fascinating stuff and I wanna follow along :)
  • MrsSki38
    Options
    rtjlkat - I talked with Randy. He said that depending on what your wanting to do are the macros you should chose. He said if you wanted to lose fat, use the macros on the low end for Endomorph's. If you wanted to increase muscle mass, use the high end of the Mesomorph macros.

For reliable websites, Randy said he consults his ISSA textbooks from school mostly but mentioned that Livestrong is a really good site for information. He recommended to google Hiit for workouts, etc.

One tip Randy taught me today while doing push-ups at an incline (I'm not cool enough to do them on the floor yet). He said to pretend that I was holding an apple or orange under my chin and to keep my head in that position when doing push ups, kettle ball swings, etc. Holding your head back or dropping your chin causes you to lose up to 40% of your strength. I didn't really believe him until he had me do a slight test and he was right.

He also apologized for incorrectly instructing me on doing a proper plank. He said that when in the plank position, one should be pushing the heels back towards the floor, pushing the elbows toward your feet and tensing up your ab muscles as tight as possible. I tried it. Not for me. I'm not coordinated enough and I felt that I was spending more time focusing on everything working properly and wasn't breathing. SO, I asked for a compromise by doing planks using a BOSU with the flat part up. 3x for 30 seconds each with a 20 second rest in between. On the second one, about 15 seconds in, he had me rock the BOSU side to side a few times and then front and back. My inner devil came out and started spewing obscenities. That HURT!! It was awesome but hurt.