The Rules of Safe Gun Ownership!

Options
Alright, the last one had good intentions, but clearly wires got crossed and things misunderstood, so here's a new one, and here's how we're going to do things. We're going to start with a few basics, and we're going to break the rules down into three groups. Group one will not be edited and will be Colonel Jeff Coopers four rules of safe gun handling. Group 2 will be other gun handling rules that you all have learned/believe applicable. Group 3 will be generic gun ownership rules for safety. Gun handling rules should only apply to when a gun is being, well, handled, whether it's being fondled, shot, or just poked.

As people add rules, what we'll do as a group is try to refine the rule to be complete, and then provide a good description for why. Once we're mostly content, it'll be added to this post!

Example of the modification:
Starts out as: The Safety should be on when not shooting.
Ends as: If the firearm has a safety, it should be placed on safe when not actively firing. Keep in mind however, the safety is a mechanical device and should not be trusted, so all other safety rules should be followed still.

Get the gist? Let's get started...

The Rules!
Colonel Jeff Coopers Rules:
1. All Guns are always loaded.
......This means to assume and act as if the gun you have is loaded, even if you know it isn't.
......This also includes checking the chamber when you handle a gun, again, even if
......you "know" it isn't loaded.
2. Never point the weapon at anything you are not willing to destroy.
......This means that if you don't want it dead/destroyed, NEVER point your weapon at it (because remember,
......the gun is ALWAYS loaded!)
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target.
......This is pretty self-explanatory, it can't shoot if you don't pull the trigger after all.
4. ALWAYS be aware of your target AND what's beyond it!
......This is not only true on the range, but if (God forbid) you ever have to use your weapon for self-defense.
......Always be aware of not only where your target is, but what is surrounding the target.

Other Safe Gun Handling Rules:

Safe Gun Ownership Rules:

Replies

• ravenlaramie
    ravenlaramie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Um ... Can I offer a modification to number 3? My dad always taught me "Keep your finger out of the trigger guard and off of the trigger until you're on target and ready to fire" because even if you're on target, you're not necessarily prepared to fire. It could be in an attempt to deter a threat instead of immediately going to deadly force...

Also another rule my dad taught me was the "Laser rule"-

"Treat the muzzle of the weapon as if it is a laser that anything it goes across" (It kind of goes along with the rule of never point your weapon at anything you're not willing to destroy)
  • m_shuman
    Options
    Um ... Can I offer a modification to number 3? My dad always taught me "Keep your finger out of the trigger guard and off of the trigger until you're on target and ready to fire" because even if you're on target, you're not necessarily prepared to fire. It could be in an attempt to deter a threat instead of immediately going to deadly force...

Also another rule my dad taught me was the "Laser rule"-

"Treat the muzzle of the weapon as if it is a laser that anything it goes across" (It kind of goes along with the rule of never point your weapon at anything you're not willing to destroy)

I second this modification to number 3! The NRA teaches "Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot."
  • ravenlaramie
    ravenlaramie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I can't edit my post now but i see two mistakes that i made typing it out... "...on target and have DECIDED to fire" and the laser rule "treat the muzzle of the weapon as if it is a laser that anything it goes across it cuts through"

Sorry =s