The Splendor of Silence

Options
missmayeb
missmayeb Posts: 182 Member
Go!

Replies

7201955 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I started the book and it grabbed me right away, perhaps not in a thriller type of way, but something deeper that draws me into it.
  • tammihart
    tammihart Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I am skipping this one, I couldn't get into it. A book I have been waiting for finally came in that library, so I will start the next selection after I finish it.
  • eriktice
    eriktice Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am currently on Chapter 17. It's actually quite an interesting read so far. I like how they showed the difference between the Indian servants and the British. It has a piece of the independence movement of India and a love story between an Indian woman who is engaged to the prince of their little kingdom (Rudrokat) within India and an American who recently lost his brother to the Japanese in Burma.

I'm not sure yet how I feel about all the Indian people feeling like they are less than human because they aren't British but that is coming up a little in this book as well.
  • eriktice
    eriktice Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Small correction: The Americans brother (Mike Ridley) was actually being held prisoner in the Rudrokot Prison Center approximately 2 miles from Chetak's tomb due to possible involvement in Indian terrorism to cause independence from Great Britain.

We also find out the American (Sam Hawthorne) has spent time in Burma and is an OSS (Office of Strategic Services, predecessor to the CIA) officer like most of his American division, the Burmese Third Army. His division is to cause trouble in Burma before the rest of the Allies return to Japanese occupied Burma.

A sweeping and poignant story of forbidden love, The Splendor of Silence opens twenty-one years later with Olivia, Sam''s daughter, receiving a trunk of treasures from India, along with an anonymous letter that finally fills the silences of her childhood. She finally learns the heartrending story of her parents'' passionate and enduring love affair -- throwing them in the path of racial prejudice, nationalist intrigue, and the explosive circumstances of a country on the brink of independence from British rule.

It is with some regrets that I leave this part of India but I would probably read this book again.

Now on to the next book, The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks ....
  • tammihart
    tammihart Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    WOW! From what you guys are saying this is a REALLY good book. Maybe I will try it again sometime when I don't have a book waiting in the wings. That may have been my problem, I had been waiting a LONG time for a book that finally came in. I possibly did give Splendor of Silence the chance it deserved.

I am glad you guys enjoyed it.