Getting disheartened. Advice?

Options
I am an avid JM fan: The Shred changed my life. Before JM, I could never stick to any work out plans. Now I feel stronger than ever, and ever since I started Body Revolution, I am also tracking the food I eat.

I am now doing workouts 5&6 and I have seen no changes on the scale nor in inches at all. I am trying to take heart in the fact that I am MUCH stronger. I can do military pushups and I can finish my work outs without stopping and the pain in my knees and shin have vanished, but yet, my body looks as unfit as ever.

I am wondering if I am eating too little? I have the MFP app and have been eating 1200 net calories. I'm not exactly sedentary - I have a desk job, but I also walk 10 mins to and from the subway, climb stairs etc - but I don't do anything apart from BR right now so I don't feel like I should be eating more. That said, I don't know much about this stuff so I could be wrong.

Typically, breakfast is cottage cheese/fruit; lunch is a salad with protein; snacks are fruit/veggies/nuts; dinner is a soup or sandwich or brown pasta (with protein) with salad

I am really disappointed. I feel like I always start out every exercise program thinking THIS will be the magic one that'll shed the pounds. And nothing ever is. Sigh.

Replies

• myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    plain and simple you arent eating enough. you need to be eatin at LEAST your BMR, if you dont know what that # is go look it up.
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Are your goals realstic? What´s your weight and how much are you looking to loose?
  • askthedust
    Options
    Yes, my BMR is 1340 - so I should be netting at least that amount?
  • askthedust
    Options
    I am looking to lose between 8-10 kgs. I think they're realistic. I am 5'0" and 65 kgs.
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Yes, my BMR is 1340 - so I should be netting at least that amount?

Yes.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    unless you are in your late 30s+ theres no way your bmr is that low. by my calculations it should be in the 1400s.
  • mamie01
    Options
    Don't give up! I completed the program Labor Day and then restarted and am on Workout 5 as well...I didn't see much of the scale or inches move until I reached Phase 3 last time and then it totally clicked and I lost the most weight in the last 5 weeks of the program. I have read others' posts and most are stating the same... Hang in there!
  • phillips529
    phillips529 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Please don't despair. JM 30DS got me started and I had great results with her. I can't really comment on your nutrition because I haven't seen your diary, but I will share my own. When I first started this weightloss journey I was eating 1200 calories and that was clearly not enough. I lost a little bit of weight and then I hit a plateau. I thought it was my exercise but truthfully it not until I learned about my about my BMR & TDEE that was when things changed. The JMBR program eating plan is designed for people who have never worked out. It does not give into account of a person who has already been exercising and has a higher metabolism. I suggest you visit www.fitnessfrog.com to determine you TDEE and go from there.

My current TDEE is 2600 and I consume 2200 calories on this plan and thus far I'm feeling great and seeing results. I don't weigh in until the end of the phase to give you exact numbers. I wish you luck on your journey..Take Care
  • askthedust
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great advice. I am slowly upping my calories and I already feel better i.e not like I'm going to collapse all the time :) Thanks again.
  • askthedust
    Options
    Since I posted this, I have seen a change in my body. A skirt that used to be far too tight now fits perfectly and a pair of pants I couldn't get into hangs loose! I upped my calories to 1500-1600 (netting around 1350) and I feel a lot better. Patience has really paid off!
  • karenkoen
    Options
    Some say to eat more to weigh less...a friend directed me to fat2fitradio.com. Check it out, I am still working out my details. My BMR is 1466 and i try to NET at least 1200 if not my BMR. I am not seeing huge results on the scale but results in tone and inches. My friend preaches protein and I have a really hard time consuming enough protein but Jillians protein shake (you can get at Walmart or Amazon) I get the triple chocoloate and it takes pretty good :) I mix with milk and blend with ice and actually crave after a workout so that may help too
  • lookgreatfast
    lookgreatfast Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    ok so I have a question. MFP states my bmr is 1046. I am 4'9" and weigh 114lbs. Looking to loose 7lbs. So how many calories should I be eating? I am lightly active and am doing JM BR currently. I skipped week 2..it felt easy since I just did the shred and went straight to week 3 workouts. I eat around 1200-1300 cal/day. Is that too much for me?