Protein intake- gym days vs off days

Options
guppy1697
guppy1697 Posts: 148 Member
I am currently using a typical 3 day workout split. I've noticed, for the most part, on days I go to the gym I am getting more protein than my off days (mostly due to taking pre and post workout shakes).

My question to propose to the group is this; Is it better to get more protein on workout days, off days, or remain consistent?

I know protein around your workouts helps protein synthesis but your muscles don't grow in the gym, they grow after you've stimulated the muscles in the gym/when you are resting.

Just wondering everyone's thoughts and curious as to the groups opinions.

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    My macros are the same everyday.
  • ouija86
    ouija86 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My macros are the same everyday.

This.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    the 2 necessary macros fats and protein should remain constant. fats r needed everyday for most metabolc functions and protein is needed everyday for growth and repair of cells. if i had 2 play around with anything it would be carbs. carbs r what the body uses best to fuel workouts. so on an off day u can lower carbs because u dont need as much energy. just my opinion.
  • troyprado
    troyprado Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Is it better to get more protein on workout days, off days, or remain consistent?

more protein is better on workout days. Your body is looking to feed after your workouts. plus you will be able cut your protein intake on non workout days thus cutting calories. also if you are taking in post-intra-post protein drinks, that will be a large amount of protein. Ask yourself how much protien can your body actually process in a 2 - 3 hour widow. Any amount above that is excess calories.
  • ouija86
    ouija86 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Is it better to get more protein on workout days, off days, or remain consistent?

more protein is better on workout days. Your body is looking to feed after your workouts. plus you will be able cut your protein intake on non workout days thus cutting calories. also if you are taking in post-intra-post protein drinks, that will be a large amount of protein. Ask yourself how much protien can your body actually process in a 2 - 3 hour widow. Any amount above that is excess calories.

Way to provide absolutely no direction or say anything even remotely useful. This is like the blind leading the blind
  • AlmondTheGreat
    Options
    Yeah keep it the same everyday as the other guys have stated. I'd get the whey in 15mins before or after your workout along with some carbs and all is cushdy. :)
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I like http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/ to calculate macros. That said, I keep my protein close to 1g/lb of lean mass every day.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    For me personally, I typically take in more protein on my training days. Because I have a huge shake after lifting that has 70ish grams of protein.

It's not that I feel like I only need protein on lifting days but I don't typically need to slam 1200 cals in a shake if I'm not doing anything that day.
  • stphnstevey
    Options
    For me personally, I typically take in more protein on my training days. Because I have a huge shake after lifting that has 70ish grams of protein.

It's not that I feel like I only need protein on lifting days but I don't typically need to slam 1200 cals in a shake if I'm not doing anything that day.

Agree - protein same all days - just more calories workout days, not necessariliy protein
  • the 2 necessary macros fats and protein should remain constant. fats r needed everyday for most metabolc functions and protein is needed everyday for growth and repair of cells. if i had 2 play around with anything it would be carbs. carbs r what the body uses best to fuel workouts. so on an off day u can lower carbs because u dont need as much energy. just my opinion.
    I agree...I just raise my carbs on workout days.
  • Reggiep509
    Options
    same everyday....I agree
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Calorie intake overall should be the same everyday if you have a specific goal in mind regardless if its losing fat or gaining muscle. If you feel like placing your meals in a strategic way then you can certainly move that meal after working out. I usually lift weights on an empty stomach. Then after a weights workout I have my 10-15 ounces of chicken, and 1/2 cup of oatmeal w/ peanut butter because I happen to be hungry as hell but you can always wait later since "studies" have found that protein synthesis can last up to 24 hours but then again i follow what gets results not what is found in studies. If you want to lower your protein intake for that day and raise your carbs or fats to meet a specific caloric goal you can do that but I wouldn't recommend going any less than 1 gram of protein per pound.
  • mrkleen73
    Options
    There is no right or wrong to be honest. Everyone has a belief and they are all fine as long as you are getting your requirements in. Protein has a higher TEF so I keep it high as possible with in my caloric intake on rest / cardio days. I follow a lot of the lean gains type protocols but have learned a lot more about IF in general and it all works. I drop carbs and depending on how much I am dropping my burning days I will either drop fat somewhat or protein somewhat. Some burn days I only take in 1200 calories via an extended fast and those days I wont do cardio. You can bet that when that is the case I am getting in about 200 grams of protein in my 4 hours of eating that day. If I am getting in 1800-2200 I am hitting 275+ with the remaining calories coming from fat. When toggling almost daily from building muscle to burning fat there is no issue with dropping fat and the less fat you actually supply the body with in reason the more it has to burn for energy.

On a build day I take in an excess of calories to create an anabolic environment. I still take in about 275-300 grams of protein those days and increase fats substantially. Sometime I add carbs in but I have better luck recomping by doing 1-2 refeeds a week. My way is not for everyone but it is hard to argue with my results.

So if the goal is burning fat on those days then keep your protein as high or even increase it and lower fats some or keep them the same. Keep minimal carbs on rest / burn days. Then as everyone has said add carbs on the other days to build oe have high protein and high fot no carb it really is all preference when it comes to that.

As much as I love the intermittent fasting lifestyle and I have been at it for 2 years now it really still comes down to calorie in verses calories out over the period of time but yes each day can have its own microgoal with in the big picture or as I call them build and burn days. If I want to gain weight I find my maintenance multiply it times 7 then add the calories needed to gain what I want per week then choose how high or low I want each training day withing that magic number. I often vary my build and burn days by right at 1000 calories and it works well and is a very easy formula. Same for weight loss. 7 x daily maintenance, minus 2000-3500 cals depending on rate of loss I want then set my burn days nice and low with longer fasts to prevent catabolism then have higher build days to add or keep that muscle mass. Often 30% below maintenance on burn days and 10-15% above on build days depeninding on the goal. Remember as long as you remain in a fasted state muscle catabolism does not start until the 36-48 hour if not intense training is done. Slow steady state cardio is fine.

I do realize this question is not based on Intermittent Fasting but the calories in calories out rules do not change with Intermittent Fasting from the typical 5-6 meal diet or 3 meals. Neither does how the body responds to pulses of carbs to create insulin, after short deficits. I only keep mentioning my intermittent fasting because it is what I do. However the same rules apply just in time frames.
  • Trotters8
    Options
    Im another that keeps it constant :)