Anyone else in Israel?

Options
bathsheba_c
bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
I guess we're on a Mediterranean diet all the time. ;) Actually, I'm only half-kidding. Being here means a whole different range of food products in the supermarket, and it would be great to have someone to share info and tips with. So, is anyone else here based in the Eretz?

Replies

• Zisaleh
    Zisaleh Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi bathsheba_c, I was wondering if there were any Israelis on this site! :)
  • bathsheba_c
    Options
    I've met one other one, excluding the friend who invited me to join MFP. I know from the member search that there are more, but they appear to be lurking. :)

Love the handle, by the way (I speak Yiddish).
  • Zisaleh
    Options
    Did you grow up with it in the home? I'd LOVE to speak it, but don't. Years ago I tried a class to learn but didn't get to far. My children learn it in school. Seriously I have a hard enough time with Ivrit. (I know I'm pathetic...) ;)
  • Zisaleh
    Options
    Anyways, I'm happy to have found an Israeli buddy! :)
  • bathsheba_c
    Options
    That's so cool that they're learning it in school! I actually studied it at YIVO during the summers when I was in high school, and now I speak it with my boyfriend, who learned it from his grandfather.

Yeah, learning languages is hard, even for people who are good at it. :)
  • Zisaleh
    Options
    That's so cool that they're learning it in school! I actually studied it at YIVO during the summers when I was in high school, and now I speak it with my boyfriend, who learned it from his grandfather.

That's really neat how you both learned!

And about languages being hard....well I'm especially bad at it. B'H no one else in my family suffers from that like i do! lol :)
  • BitteOrca
    BitteOrca Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    i'm another israeli! well--american who made aliyah 2 years ago.

i'm sure you guys also get jealous knowing we don't have the same variety of healthy products here to work with...i'm ESPECIALLY missing 0% greek yogurt--i could eat that stuff all day.

at least we have amazing cheap produce ;)
  • bathsheba_c
    Options
    I love the produce sooooo much.

Oh, and someone claimed in one of the forums that labaneh is greek yogurt? But I thought that labaneh was made from greek yogurt. Either way, I'm still learning to eat yogurt in the first place. :)
  • Zisaleh
    Options
    i'm another israeli! well--american who made aliyah 2 years ago.

i'm sure you guys also get jealous knowing we don't have the same variety of healthy products here to work with...i'm ESPECIALLY missing 0% greek yogurt--i could eat that stuff all day.

at least we have amazing cheap produce ;)

Yes amazing produce and dairy! I use to only buy skim milk in the US, but I do not believe they even sell it here. Chag Sameach!
  • Zisaleh
    Options
    I love the produce sooooo much.

Oh, and someone claimed in one of the forums that labaneh is greek yogurt? But I thought that labaneh was made from greek yogurt. Either way, I'm still learning to eat yogurt in the first place. :)

Yogurt I never use to eat it, but it's good for you! I recently started eating it regularly. It helps me get my protein in for the day!
  • eddysuchydvm
    eddysuchydvm Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    How about Israeli living in America, does that count, lol? We'll be back...eventually!
  • bathsheba_c
    Options
    Totally! Come back sooooooon!
  • eddysuchydvm
    eddysuchydvm Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    One of the many things I miss about food in Israel: it goes bad. Our bread goes bad in a day or two, milk a few days, veggies a day or two. The food here? Man, it lasts FOREVER! I have milk dated out almost 2 months! Yikes! The bread never goes bad, lol.

Can we say, preservatives? ICK!
  • Rach424
    Options
    Hi there! You have another American- Israli here. Made Aliyah in the summer of '11. Shana Tova!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options

When were you at YIVO? I did it twice - 2005 and 2006 (so, a long time ago...).

If I were living in Israel, all the yummy dairy products would probably kill my weight loss goals! (I miss Israel so much...I lived there for a year a few years ago but had to come back to Canada to finish grad school.)