Soy sauce?

Options
idauria
idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
I am currently doing the Whole 30 and soy sauce is prohibited. Is it allowed as part of a regular paleo diet? I can't seem to find a definitive answer.

Replies

• Hez14
    Options
    Try Coconut Aminos...it's paleo and it subs as soy sauce...you can order on line ($9/bottle)
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    most of them have wheat in them...
  • skwidlund
    skwidlund Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I haven't found any version of paleo that says that soy is okay, so probably not. If you're okay with a little soy once in a while, you can get tamari. Because it's more traditionally fermented that the cheap stuff at the grocery store, it doesn't contain wheat and supposedly the hormone effect of regular soy is lessened.

I still stick to coconut aminos. Just wish it was possible to find it somewhere in larger quantity!
  • mantisladyx
    mantisladyx Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    coconut aminos ...I paid a lot more then $9.00 it was 8 ounces and took the price sticker off the bottle so husband would not see it....it was more like 14.95, I guess I have to look into online shopping
  • skwidlund
    skwidlund Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I can usually get it at Whole Foods or Raley's (I'm in Central CA) for right around $8. I happened to stumble on some for $6 a bottle last year at a New Leaf Market and bought 8 bottles! Between jerky and my favorite marinade, we can really go through it.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Most soy sauce is made from genetically modified soy; also virtually all soy sauce is brewed with wheat. Traditionally, tamari (a type of soy sauce) was made wheat-free, but nowadays even most brands of tamari contain wheat. Add to it the amount of sodium, and it is pretty much of a non-starter.

Coconut aminos have a similar flavor profile (umami), but is a little bit sweeter and has less sodium. While it is significantly more expensive, bottom line is that for us hunter/gatherers, seasoning should be with fresh (or dried) herbs, and not with a brewed product - which technically isn't paleo because brewing is a post-agricultural process.
  • Jessb1985
    Jessb1985 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I have also been able to buy Gluten Free soy sauce in Australia.

I use it, just in small amounts but I also eat more 'primal' than paleo :)
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Coconut Aminos

If you have a Vitamin Shoppe near where you live they usually carry it - I always call the one near my house to make sure they have it before I trek...as they usually only get a few bottles at a time at each store
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    I also use cocnut amoinos. It's not the same, but it's a good substitute. You can buy it at Whole Foods. : )
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies. I actually just bought a bottle of coconut aminos to use while on the whole 30 but I wasn't sure if I could go back to using soy(and I always use gluten free tamari) afterwards. I'll stick with the aminos, though I haven't actually used it yet so I don't know if I even like it.